Best Canadian Caching City

tangerineman

If anyone's looking for a great caching city, you should check out Montreal.

GCZ19W will get you to the area, in the Bois de Liesse, a gorgeous forest with trails and loads of caches. Click on the map and look to the island north of there (Laval?), or just zoom out. There are hundreds of forest caches in Montreal and surrounds, mostly traditional, good for paperless caching.

I don't think any city can compete with it.

Well, I work in Toronto, my house is in Montreal, I cache primarily in Central Ontario... and I'm currently in Victoria.

Caching density, scenery and year round cache accessibility - Victoria.

Puzzles and multis and "half the fun was getting there" - Central Ontario.

Caching variety, urban escapes and "bigger than a key case" - Montreal.

K, I'll risk it.......WGS?

'Wilberforce and Greater Surroundings' - (sort of makes it closer to 'city' ststus ?)

Check out <geocachingcapitalofcanada.com>

I can do you one better than checking out that link, some of my and SurvivorGirl's earliest caching experiences were in and around Wilberforce. My favourite cache of all time in fact is just north and east of town, as I recall. It's since been archived, but you walked up a wide trail about 1/2 km to an old mine opening with pieces a rock I'm trying to remember - purple and white bands - lying all around the area. Really unique.

Unfortunately, in that case

I can also still remember how excited we were to find that store in Wilberforce that sells everything including geocaching items - TB tags, lanyards, pads, miro containers - we were all atingle, wondering if the people behind the counter were cachers, but never asked. Nice memory.

K, I'll risk it.......WGS?

'Wilberforce and Greater Surroundings' - (sort of makes it closer to 'city' ststus ?)

Check out <geocachingcapitalofcanada.com>

I can do you one better than checking out that link, some of my and SurvivorGirl's earliest caching experiences were in and around Wilberforce. My favourite cache of all time in fact is just north and east of town, as I recall. It's since been archived, but you walked up a wide trail about 1/2 km to an old mine opening with pieces a rock I'm trying to remember - purple and white bands - lying all around the area. Really unique.

Unfortunately, in that case

I can also still remember how excited we were to find that store in Wilberforce that sells everything including geocaching items - TB tags, lanyards, pads, miro containers - we were all atingle, wondering if the people behind the counter were cachers, but never asked. Nice memory.

Yo Tangerineman:

You should have asked ! The local Postmistress (in the store), Girl Guide leader, and the store owner herself, are all one and the same: "Sticky Moose". Sticky led the local business people and the entire municipality into creating the 'Geocaching Capital of Canada' theme, including the Geoburger, served in its own cache container ! Although I'm only an ambassador who lives in another neighbouring community - We're all proud of the WGS claim to fame.

And the geocache you (and others) enjoyed so much was GCK93F "Up the Old Mumford Road (Richardson Mine)". Unfortunately it was archived in 2006. You and SurvivorGirl were the fourth last cachers to find that one - on July 5, 2006. (I was only a couple of cachers ahead of you.)

Although somewhat out of the way, the WGS has quietly earned a solid reputation for the Geocaching Capital of Canada - Perhaps the "Best Canadian Geocaching 'Village" ? Apparently the WGS did provide you with a 'Nice Memory'.

I have been through the WGS area a few times and yes there are some neat caches in the area to some off the beaten path locations. The Richardson Mine cache was quite memorable, too bad it was archived, I was the second last to find it. I've been in the store a couple of times and didn't ask either and they didn't say anything either as I walked around the store with my gps strapped to my carrying bag in full view.

Also remember an enjoyable pancake breakfast prior to a maple syrup geocaching event held there.