Did anyone else get this offer?

Checked my email a few minutes ago to find this in my inbox!

Hellow, knowschad,

We here at www.geocaching.com wish to make you a one-time, limited offer. We find that we are running low on smileys, and with the current economic downturn, it is not feasable for us to restock at our usual prices. Therefore, as a special offer, we would like to buy back up to 1000 of your smileys for a very generous price of $[price deleted for confidentiality reasons].

We will also allow you, again as a one-time offer, to convert any existing DNFs to Found Its for a low-low cost of only $[again, deleted] per DNF.

Jeremy

WOW!!! Is anyone else thinking about taking them up on this? I mean, I'm not a total numbers guy. I'm sure tempted!

Hellow, knowschad,

We here at www.geocaching.com wish to make you a one-time, limited offer. We find that we are running low on smileys, and with the current economic downturn, it is not feasable for us to restock at our usual prices. Therefore, as a special offer, we would like to buy back up to 1000 of your smileys for a very generous price of $[price deleted for confidentiality reasons].

We will also allow you, again as a one-time offer, to convert any existing DNFs to Found Its for a low-low cost of only $[again, deleted] per DNF.

Jeremy

WOW!!! Is anyone else thinking about taking them up on this? I mean, I'm not a total numbers guy. I'm sure tempted!

Don't do it! This is a scam originating in Nigeria. A friend of mine foolishly took the offer, and woke up MISSING A KIDNEY, and ALL her smileys were gone! Even the DNF ones!

After reading many of these type things over the years and seeing a TV News Show report about them, the first thing I noticed was the misspelling of 'Hellow' and 'Jeramie.' That would tell me right away that something was fishy.

-edit to add the name to misspell list-

Edited by DiamondDaveG

I can testify that the offer IS valid. I received the same offer at around 3 PM today, and Sue and I sold them 100 of some of our least favorite find smileys (all I can say is that we received over $600), and we were paid immediately via Paypal. So, no, this is not a Nigerian scam, but a legitimate offer, although I am not at all sure whether the agent/vendor is really Groundspeak, or perhaps a third party trying to profiteer on the hunger for smileys; the payment was made by "GeocachingCOM AGENCY", located in Los Angeles, CA, and that is a rather ambiguous name and the location certainly is not the same as that of Groundspeak HQ.

I can testify that the offer IS valid. I received the same offer at around 3 PM today, and Sue and I sold them 100 of some of our least favorite find smileys (all I can say is that we received over $600), and we were paid immediately via Paypal. So, no, this is not a Nigerian scam, but a legitimate offer, although I am not at all sure whether the agent/vendor is really Groundspeak, or perhaps a third party trying to profiteer on the hunger for smileys; the payment was made by "GeocachingCOM AGENCY", located in Los Angeles, CA, and that is a rather ambiguous name and the location certainly is not the same as that of Groundspeak HQ.

Watch out for your kidneys, is all I can say...

offers to buy and sell seniority? How much does a Joined date in 2004 cost? 2001? How about post counts?

Yep, I sold my "charter member" a while back. As that's my only experience with selling seniority, I can't speak to 2002-2004 join dates.

Post counts are worthless, clearly; just look at briansnat's post. He's selling smileys, but he's kept that post count. If it was worth anything, he'd have funds, not not numbers.

My hamster just rolled in - said he'd picked up a news flash through Hamsternet that Vinny is selling off ownership of several of his Psycho Urban caches, to raise money for the chinldren.

I don't believe that for a second. I think he's just scared of the ChubbChubbs.

My hamster just rolled in - said he'd picked up a news flash through Hamsternet that Vinny is selling off ownership of several of his Psycho Urban caches, to raise money for the chinldren.

I don't believe that for a second. I think he's just scared of the ChubbChubbs.

No. I am NOT selling off any of my Psycho caches, for I make FAR TOO MUCH money by auctioning off finds on extreme Psycho caches such as PUC #3, PUC #7, PUC #8, PUC #9, PUC #10, PUC #13, PUC #14 and Psycho Backcountry Cache #3 on Ebay.

Hellow, knowschad,

Jeremy

Don't do it! This is a scam originating in Nigeria. A friend of mine foolishly took the offer, and woke up MISSING A KIDNEY, and ALL her smileys were gone! Even the DNF ones!

Aww that ain't nuthin'. Send 'er over to see me - I've got bucket-loads of armchair kidneys I've collected from all over the world, &'ll fix 'er right up!!

:unsure:

~*

All I can say is that if one is an armchair cacher, and sells their smileys, be VERY careful.

You're not dealing with some very nice people here, this is backed by the mafia.

You think I'm kidding... Try it...

Don't say you weren't given fair warning.

I think you're right but it's not necessarily the mafia that's involved.

I heard that there is now a growing industry around Smiley farming in China. There are apparently whole companies that employ people to acquire then resell smileys..

On a related subject, I also hear there is also a black market for Geo-sense (aka geomojo). I was thinking of picking up a few bottles of the stuff. I believe it's sold in small perfume bottles at ridiculously high per-ounce rates.