Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
thenewlimey

Cub Scout Specific caches

Forgive me if this is a no-no, but I was thinking about taking my boys out on a cache hunt one weekend and wondered if anybody would be willing to plant cub scout specific caches for us. I know I could probably plant them myself but that would take the fun out of it for me too. We are in Prescott, AZ and if anyone would like to play with us, please let me know. I would be happy to schedule the hunt out a couple of months so we can get some planted out there. I guess 4 or 5 caches in a day would be kinda fun to hit. Thanks guys. :o

We took our Tigers out to a park that had several ammo can caches. We met at the playground, and they all threw in an item that represented them into an ammo can I had picked up and labeled (I told their parents to have the boys pick something small out of their toybox or at the $1 store) and we set off. We had enough receivers between all of the families that we had one for every two boys. I gave the lat/long to the parents with receivers ahead of time for the three locations we would be searching for. We found two ammo can caches in the park and then went to the third location that I had scouted out ahead of time. The boys wandered the area and found a great place for the cache. It was a great day!

So don't wait for someone else to make a Scouting cache in your area - have your boys take the initiative (with a little leg work by you ahead of time) and lay the groundwork for your area!!

Our cache is GC1VTVY if you want to check it out.

GOOD LUCK! :lol:

If I were in Arizona, I would have loved to have done it.

Though, one thing I would suggest (in the future, if you've already done it) is to contact your local Boy Scout troops to see if any of them have done geocaching and would be interested in helping setup a few easier caches for Cubs.

Also, contact your Council's 100th Anniversary Coordinator to see if they have anything setup for the "Get In The Game" geocaching program for the BSA 100th Anniversary. This would be either council placed caches or possible local/district/council caching events.

Near to me in the UK there is a cacher on here that is also a cub leader.

on a couple of time for orienterring exercises he has involved plotting to a cache and logging the find with him.

some of the cubs have expressed such an interest that they have created there own username and also invested in there own GPS unit.

they now log the find and stat how many of them are there at the time (on average its 3 of the seekers)

no need for cub specific caches any with a rating that you think they can do is fine.

We took our Tigers out to a park that had several ammo can caches. We met at the playground, and they all threw in an item that represented them into an ammo can I had picked up and labeled (I told their parents to have the boys pick something small out of their toybox or at the $1 store) and we set off. We had enough receivers between all of the families that we had one for every two boys. I gave the lat/long to the parents with receivers ahead of time for the three locations we would be searching for. We found two ammo can caches in the park and then went to the third location that I had scouted out ahead of time. The boys wandered the area and found a great place for the cache. It was a great day!

So don't wait for someone else to make a Scouting cache in your area - have your boys take the initiative (with a little leg work by you ahead of time) and lay the groundwork for your area!!

Our cache is GC1VTVY if you want to check it out.

GOOD LUCK! :laughing:

Thank You!! I am going to plan a geocaching activity for our girl scout day camp this summer and was looking for ideas. What a great idea to end the hunt by placing our own cache!

Near to me in the UK there is a cacher on here that is also a cub leader.

on a couple of time for orienterring exercises he has involved plotting to a cache and logging the find with him.

some of the cubs have expressed such an interest that they have created there own username and also invested in there own GPS unit.

they now log the find and stat how many of them are there at the time (on average its 3 of the seekers)

no need for cub specific caches any with a rating that you think they can do is fine.

I am new to this site and this is my first Post. I am a Scout Leader with Scouts Canada and decided to use geocaching as a tool to teach orienteering. The Scouts have really taken to this activity. If you give kids anything these days with batteries and buttons, they seem to love it. I found it is a great way to get them out hiking as well. They have a goal to achieve while out on the hike and it is rewarding. Geocaching has been a great way for me to get to know how to use my own GPS as well. What a great way to have fun and get out there and see the world. I have only been a member of geocaching.com since March 15 2010 and have become rather addicted to this a sport or activity. I do it while out quadding as well.

We have just bought a Geomate Jr. for our Pack. In the future boys will be able to check out the unit for the weekend. I'll prepare a binder with parking locations within a 5 mile radius of our town and instructions. If it takes off we'll buy more units and probably have Moms and Dads download apps to their iPhones.

For now it will just be a weekend family activity to get the DS brigade outside!! So my son and I will have fun with the unit as we compile our list and prescreen sites for safety etc.

BTW The geomate is preloaded with caches.

As a scout leader myself (East lancs, UK) I do some of my cashing on camps and hikes away with the Scouts. It sometimes good or bad to do with them depending what mood the Scouts themselves are in. I know of two Scout camps (One of which I volunteer at regularly) that have private caches for training. Unfortunately due to child protection we do not allow public caches on the site. We do have a few caches just off the site as well that have public access.

I'm a new Beaver Leader (no jokes please :rolleyes: ). There is a badge for hiking and we did this last week and looked for flora, fauna and wildlife en route. Am planning to do another walk in the summer specifically to find a geocache near us. Thought about placing one too. What have other groups put in their cache?