GPS enabled Cameras

Hello all,

First post here. I do a fair amount of motorcycle touring and general travel photography and have been uploading pictures to Panoramio. I would like to be able to GEO tag the images.

Is this something that any of you do on a regular basis? I know of one camera that is GPS enabled, the Nikon P6000. Are there any others?

Also, have any of you used any of the GEO tagging devices like these: http://tiny.cc/wWlyN

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Hello all,

First post here. I do a fair amount of motorcycle touring and general travel photography and have been uploading pictures to Panoramio. I would like to be able to GEO tag the images.

Is this something that any of you do on a regular basis? I know of one camera that is GPS enabled, the Nikon P6000. Are there any others?

Also, have any of you used any of the GEO tagging devices like these: http://tiny.cc/wWlyN

Thanks in advance,

Steve

My girlfriend has a Nikon D90, for it there is an external accessory that will Geotag photos. I think a similar external device is available for most Nikon and Canon DSLR's

iPhoto 09 has support for geotagging.
Also, the Preview application in Mac OS X has had geotagging support for quite while.

Take any image that's already geotagged (e.g., anything you snapped with your iPhone) and view it in Preview. Pull down the Tools menu and select Inspector. The middle "Info" tab shows the geotag info for the photo and has a "Locate" button that will open the location in Google Maps.

Edited by lee_rimar

Fire Medic, I think I can help you out with this. Actually the way I found out about GeoCaching was because I was looking into Geotagging and kept running into the term Geocache. On a mac there's a free program GPSPhotoLinker that will take your recorded track from your GPS and will automatically place the tags on the photo based on the time stamp. I hope this isn't confusing, but basically you record your track on your GPS, and export it to a GPX file. From there you pull the GPX file and your pictures into the program and it will place the coordinates based on time stamps. You just need to make sure the time is accurately set on your camera. I hope this helps, it is a really easy to use program.

Fire Medic, I think I can help you out with this. Actually the way I found out about GeoCaching was because I was looking into Geotagging and kept running into the term Geocache. On a mac there's a free program GPSPhotoLinker that will take your recorded track from your GPS and will automatically place the tags on the photo based on the time stamp. I hope this isn't confusing, but basically you record your track on your GPS, and export it to a GPX file. From there you pull the GPX file and your pictures into the program and it will place the coordinates based on time stamps. You just need to make sure the time is accurately set on your camera. I hope this helps, it is a really easy to use program.

Thanks, GPSPhotoLinker is just what I needed.

This sounds good!

This sounds good!

Seems to be a lot of faith being placed in the camera's ability to have an accurate clock. I guess if you sync your clock at the beginning of your shoot day you should be reasonably close. . . I'll have to give this a shot - using different software since I'm a PC...

You can also take a picture of your GPS clock during the trip. In that way you can calculate the offset (timestamp in picture metadata vs. gps clock in the picture) and often the geotagging software enables you to take this offset into account. This is especially useful if you have a camera of which you can only set the hours and minutes, not the seconds.

And after all, gps and camera do not need to be synced to the second, of course. Usually you will be standing at the same spot for quite a while to take a picture.

The problem I found with that is that it's pretty expensive for what it is. It costs around $175 (I'm sure there's a better deal around). Its use is limited to sitting on top of your camera, occupying your flash socket, and on that note, you NEED a flash socket. What if you don't feel like lugging around your DSLR and just want to take your point and shoot along?

Tested it with my Oregon & Canon ixus and it worked as advertised. :laughing:

I have an ixus 750 (won't change soon because I have a Dive Housing for it too) and an Oregon.. does that bit of software allow you to Geotag photos that already made it into iPhoto '09? I found with Basecamp you had to copy them out (from the original locations to avoid iPhoto re-orientating the portrait shots and screwing the file time), delete them and put them back to get places to recognise the co-ordinates.

Edited by iamasmith

I have an ixus 750 (won't change soon because I have a Dive Housing for it too) and an Oregon.. does that bit of software allow you to Geotag photos that already made it into iPhoto '09? I found with Basecamp you had to copy them out (from the original locations to avoid iPhoto re-orientating the portrait shots and screwing the file time), delete them and put them back to get places to recognise the co-ordinates.

I'm not entirely sure, but it's a free program, so there's nothing to lose by trying.