Island Caches

luke96

Have you ever found a cache on an island?

I actually have two caches I hid on an island here in Maine. One important distinction to make is that some islands are easy to get to using Public Transportation while others you must supply your own boat. If there is no public ferry available it should reflect this in the difficulty/terrain ratings. Mine you can get to using a public ferry so I just link to the ferry informaton on the cache pages.

I along with my children, we are hunting out a location for our first cache placement. One location we are looking at is a small island (200 yards long at most) in the middle of a river near our home. The only access would be by boat or to swim a channel which is about 50 yards wide. Is there any appeal to this type of cache?

Edited by Lou_U

I along with my children, we are hunting out a location for our first cache placement. One location we are looking at is a small island (200 yards long at most) in the middle of a river near our home. The only access would be by boat or to swim a channel which is about 50 yards wide. Is there any appeal to this type of cache?

Depends on the river! For example, there are a bunch of islands along the Wisconsin River downstream from Sauk City -- can't think of a better place. The river is easy going, noone owns the islands, and lots of folks paddle by in the summer and fall. Some rivers have hydraulics that make swimming and boating a dicey proposition -- that has got to be mentioned in the cache description, in addition to the 5 star terrain rating. Anything around a dam spillway should get you nervous.

Depends on the river! For example, there are a bunch of islands along the Wisconsin River downstream from Sauk City -- can't think of a better place. The river is easy going, noone owns the islands, and lots of folks paddle by in the summer and fall. Some rivers have hydraulics that make swimming and boating a dicey proposition -- that has got to be mentioned in the cache description, in addition to the 5 star terrain rating. Anything around a dam spillway should get you nervous.

It's over a mile south of a hydroelectric plant but near the confluence where it enters a navigable river pool. Because of it's location at times there is a little current but it's far enough downstream from the dam that the levels don't fluctuate so quickly. I will be sure to add some cautions.

We have one near us. Most people wait until winter and walk out to it. What gets me is how you will read logs like...

It has been getting warmer and a local told us that two four wheelers fell through last week. We decided to try anyway and hope for the best.

I heard cracking and saw the cracks under my feet.

I am not going to risk my life for a cache. Maybe others feel that that is just part of the adventure and not really risking their life. Um, not me.

We have one near us. Most people wait until winter and walk out to it. What gets me is how you will read logs like...

It has been getting warmer and a local told us that two four wheelers fell through last week. We decided to try anyway and hope for the best.

I heard cracking and saw the cracks under my feet.

I am not going to risk my life for a cache. Maybe others feel that that is just part of the adventure and not really risking their life. Um, not me.

I see no problem with walking to 5 star terrain Island caches in the winter. Assuming you live in sub-arctic regions like I do. I could cite many examples in my area, of people walking to them in like January (also swamp caches are more popular in the winter). Keep in mind though, it's not winter any more. Except in Nunavut :laughing:

I see no problem with walking to 5 star terrain Island caches in the winter. Assuming you live in sub-arctic regions like I do. I could cite many examples in my area, of people walking to them in like January (also swamp caches are more popular in the winter). Keep in mind though, it's not winter any more. Except in Nunavut :laughing:

Me either. But walking on the ice after the thawing has started and you heard that people went through last week seems ludicrous.

Me either. But walking on the ice after the thawing has started and you heard that people went through last week seems ludicrous.

Yup. I only live a few hundred miles from you, and I bet I know the recent incident you're talking about. Having to do with ice fishing though, not geocaching.

I also have two island caches - I placed them in winter on snowmobile. To date, no one has reported looking for them in the summer, and those who did find them enjoyed the fact that they were going a little more out of the way.

I hope to borrow a canoe this summer to place one or two more. There are lots of quite lakes and ponds here that are easily accesible, but seldom used.

Skisidedown

I've found several caches on islands. I have a friend who lives on a lake with several large floating islands. Yes, they move around depending on wind direction and strength. I think one of the basic rules of gps technology is the ability to pin point a place on land... what happens if the land moves? Pretty cool I think

Here is one on a rather skinny man made island: GC18E6K

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...=y&decrypt=

It is on a dam for a lake that has now been included in a newer lake, with a higher water level than the old one.. So the old spillway is under water, and there is a cut in the dam for the navigable channel between the old and new lakes... The rather large space in between makes for a long skinny, rocky island..

In a little over one year, the cache has 8 logged finds, but has only been visited by three groups... Of course, here, the lake never freezes, over, and nobody has rowed over yet... It's on my list to get sometime this year...

Outside of the snarky answer: Sure! I cache on Manhattan Island frequently, and have even cached on Long Island! Even did one in Maine that was an hour each way on the ferry (for the Maine DeLorme Challenge.)

That being said: Kayaking caches, obviously, do not get a lot of visits. There's one around here that is found every other year, or so.

I do have a beef with one cache owner who has an island cache listed with terrain of 2.5, despite the page saying: "There is seasonal access by boat, kayak, canoe or inflatable from many public launch sites (some with rentals)." That is NOT a 2.5 terrain. The only finders so far walked across the ice in February.

I went across the lake I live by (Canyon Ferry Lake) in January a couple of years ago while it was frozen and got the cache "Eternal View" (GCY1G8).The ice was very clear and I could see down the places it had cracked to kinda judge the depth of the ice.It was about 3 feet thick where I crossed.The island is called cemetery island because the only thing on this island is a cemetery from an old town, that now is at the bottom of the lake here,flooded after the dam was put in.It is a very unique and historic island.

1mediuma.jpg

Edited by skeezicks

I've only found one on an island....it's also called Gilligan's Island out at Lake Bridgeport, Texas. The lake was down (from drought) so you could walk out to it. I don't remember why my geep was of no use to us but I used my geo-senses and made the spot.

I just bought two kayaks today so I hope to be able to plant caches or find more on the water now.