refurbished

I was wandering what yall think about refurbished gps units. Theres a system Im thinking about getting for a good price thorugh a company thats through amazon, they have a good rating, I believe the system is the Garmin eTrex Legend CX Color Mapping Handheld GPS. and is this the same as the legend hcx, the garmin site doesnt have the cx just the hcx.

Edited by deadcowboy

I think I'm understanding two different questions.

1) What's the experience with refurbished Garmins? Garmin-refurbished units sold through authorized dealers seem fine. Warranty is good and accessories are all there. It's the third-party refurbishers ("I put new batteries in it...") that are the wild card.

2) Are units with different product names the same? No. The Legend Cx has been discontinued for a while in favor of the Legend HCx, a very similar model, only with a *much* better receiver. The Garmin site does talk about Legend Cx, it's just in the 'discontinued products' section.

I was wandering what yall think about refurbished gps units. ...

I've learned that refurbished may or may not be a good thing.

For a GPS I would have no problem with refurbished. However just like everthting else factory refurbished is one thing and refurbished by company X another. Both can and often are called "refurbished". One as a warranty backed by the maker and may be worth the price. The other has a higher price than "used" would give them.

I haven't heard any negative comments about refurbished units, has anyone else?

I have a Garmin Refurbished Nuvi 265T. It works great. A lot of what they are calling refurbished are actually dealer returns, and many units are not returned because they are defective. Anyway, it comes with a one year factory warranty same as a new unit.

To the other question in the OP--The Legend Cx is not going to give as good a performance as the Legend Hcx. The H stand for the High sensitivity receiver that they have. The Non H models sometimes have difficulty keeping lock under even light tree cover. I went from a 60CS (standard receiver) to a 60CSx (Sirf star III receiver) and the difference was like night and day.