How to place a visual code without breaking the rules?

Fustrate

Just put a pic on the page that doesn't reveal too much about the cache. You can do that, unless the cache owner says not to put any spoilers in your logs or pictures that would spoil it for everybody else. THank you. As more posts get put on this thread we'll all have more of an idea what to do. Until then, I have put what I know on there. Have a great day. gwf

I think it deleted my original post for some reason... I'll try to remember what exactly I said, so here goes...

Basically, I want to hide a visual clue (a sticker with a code on it) for a puzzle cache I'm making somewhere, instead of using a physical container to put it in. A simple sticker would work best I'd assume, but I'm not sure how to do this without breaking the rules about defacing public property

Edited by Fustrate

I think it deleted my original post for some reason... I'll try to remember what exactly I said, so here goes...

Basically, I want to hide a visual clue (a sticker with a code on it) for a puzzle cache I'm making somewhere, instead of using a physical container to put it in. A simple sticker would work best I'd assume, but I'm not sure how to do this without breaking the rules about defacing public property

How about using printable, flexible magnetic sheets. I don't see how placing a business card sized magnetic sheet defaces public probably any more than where many hide-a-keys are placed.

I've seen multi-caches with coordinates written on the underside of a rock and on the back of a piece of wood that appears to be part of a wooden construction. I have one that I wrote the coordinates on a piece of paper, sealed it between a few pieces of clear packing tape, then stapled it to the back of small piece of wood, which was then added (with permission) to an original wooden construction.

In other words, rather than put something on public property, ask permission to place your visual clue on an object that is privately owned.

Edited by NYPaddleCacher

Make the clue removable. My local cache maggot taught me that something tha tI thought was permanent wasn't (epoxied a piece of steel to a rock).

I did a multi where each stage had a small sticker that was see through except the coordinates posted on a piece of metal. Even looking for the things I missed everyone on the first pass. So there's no way a muggle would notice them. Second they're stickers so they can be peeled off and some cleaner will remove any residue. This works great in residential areas probably not so much in the woods.

Or, find something in the area of where you want to put your clues that has numbers and will be around for a while. I know of a local parking lot where all of the lampposts are numbered. Or, there may be various codes and designations on an electrical box that you can have the seeker use as the basis for a calculation. If you do the latter, just make a clear note on the cache page that they are only required to read the information from the box -- they are not required to "feel around" or mess with the box in any way.

Don't forget about Wherigo. :unsure:

As far as I am concerned Wherigo is still very much a niche game. I would guess that probably 90% of those with Groundspeak accounts do not have the hardware necessary to do Wherigo caches.

I certainly won't argue with that. :) Still, it is a relevant method to "hide a visual clue for a puzzle cache instead of using a physical container... [without] ...defacing public property".

I like using these copper plant tags. You simply write whatever you need to on them and and use the wire to secure them to a branch, cable, whatever.

They are pretty easy to spot in the beginning, but after a short while they develop a nice patina and become quite camouflaged.