Garmin BaseCamp v. 2.0.4

allory

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4435

* WARNING: This software will not work unless you already own a BaseCamp or MapSource product.

* BaseCamp will only recognize MapSource products that contain digital elevation model (DEM) data. Some examples of products that contain elevation data are Topo U.S. 24K, Topo U.S. 24K National Parks (version 3), Topo U.S. 100K (version 4 and later), Topo U.S. 2008, Topo Australia, Topo Canada (version 4), Topo Deutschland, Topo Great Britain, and Topo products produced by many Garmin distributors.

* BaseCamp requires Windows XP Service Pack 2 or later operating system.

* .NET framework 2.0 is required and will be installed if needed.

* A video card that supports OpenGL version 1.3 or later is needed to view 3D terrain.

Edited by allory

Slow panning.... :blink:

Only mapset I have that is compatible is Topo US 2008.

I'm with Red90....... Topo Can V4 mmmmmm cant wait.

Edit: with the view set as strumble's above, turning off the 2d pane, the response is much better.

Edited by savant9

WHAT ABOUT THE MAC VERSION??

"BaseCamp is compatible on both PC and Mac computers. Beginning in the first quarter of 2009, the utility will ship with all new TOPO U.S. 24K DVD and TOPO U.S. 100K DVD products. For those who currently own TOPO U.S. 2008, BaseCamp will be available for a free download at www.garmin.com at the end of the first quarter 2009. For unit compatibility and more information, visit www.garmin.com"

Missed this on the first pass through but Topo USA 100k version 4 would also be a new product as well (current version is 3.02), although I'm surprised that they are updating this older Topo product given they have a Topo 2008 out.

Looks like all the custom map developers out there will have to figure out how to add DEM to their maps if they want to use them in basecamp as well.

WHAT ABOUT THE MAC VERSION??

"BaseCamp is compatible on both PC and Mac computers. Beginning in the first quarter of 2009, the utility will ship with all new TOPO U.S. 24K DVD and TOPO U.S. 100K DVD products. For those who currently own TOPO U.S. 2008, BaseCamp will be available for a free download at www.garmin.com at the end of the first quarter 2009. For unit compatibility and more information, visit www.garmin.com"

Here's hoping too! (using .NET isn't encouraging though.. I would certainly not have put .NET development at the top of my list of technologies if I wanted to share code between platforms)

I DID notice that if you go for download ID 4436 rather than 4435 it goes for the same file. Perhaps that's in as a placeholder for the Mac version...

But again all pure speculation.

I DID notice that if you go for download ID 4436 rather than 4435 it goes for the same file. Perhaps that's in as a placeholder for the Mac version...

But again all pure speculation.

Actually, the vast majority of Garmin's update pages are hosted on two adjacent numbers.

Since the previous new items (GPSMAP 620 and GPSMAP 640) were on 4431/2 and 4433/4, and BaseCamp WIN is on 4435/6, I'm looking at 4437 on a regular basis.

I'm also looking at every other unused placeholder between 4400 and 4500.

Could be an interesting tool, but it doesn't like one of my custom topo mapsets, and will not start unless I uninstall the offending maps from Mapsource. Strange that Mapsource works fine with the custom maps, but BaseCamp is completely imcompatible. I guess I can't fault Garmin engineers for not making a product compatible with an unsanctioned custom map that I made.

Edit: Based on the responses below, it seems that most home-made maps installed in Mapsource will not prevent Basecamp from starting. Not sure why my custom map is doing so.

Edited by Glenn W
In order for BaseCamp to load a map it has to have DEM -- I think that eliminates all custom maps right?
I'll suggest DEM data is NOT the issue, rather those mapsets have unique coding in the registry that Basecamp can ID. DEM is simply a way for Garmin to describe the allowed maps.

Glenn W's post suggests as much. Someone needs to do a screenshot of the registry so we might guess at how and what Garmin has put into Basecamp to ID third party maps.

Under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Garmin\ all I see is a key called BaseCamp, there is nothing underneath it. I don't see anything new or different about my existing Mapsource US Topo 2008 v2 reg entries nor do I see any new entries that reference the US Topo 2008 installation.

Would that suggest that BaseCamp is using Mapsource registry entries?

I also have Topo 100k installed (no DEM) and it doesn't appear in BaseCamp along with my City Nav and various custom maps.

Yes.

My guess is that Basecamp has the smarts to understand all allowed Mapsource maps and to choke if anything else is present. So your non-DEM Mapsource maps won't load in Basecamp but they don't choke it either. However, a third party map with unrecognized Mapsource entries causes Basecamp to error.

This is all speculation on my part, I'm just reading the "tea leaves" that have been posted so far.

My guess is that Basecamp has the smarts to understand all allowed Mapsource maps and to choke if anything else is present. So your non-DEM Mapsource maps won't load in Basecamp but they don't choke it either. However, a third party map with unrecognized Mapsource entries causes Basecamp to error.

Would MapSetToolKit create the correct registry for the home brewed maps w/DEM data? I use it to register my home made trail maps for loading with Mapsource. Just a thought to throw out.

I think I've run across a major malfunction .....

I've imported several different gpx files and made different folders in the "library" for each.

I then downloaded all data from my GPS and created a new separate folder to work with. Since the new download contained some of the same data already in other folders, I was going to delete the duplicated data in the new download folder and rename the folder to "latest data" (or similar).

When (duplicated) data was deleted from (only) the new folder, it appears that the data was also deleted from any/all other folders in the library where it was found!............NOT GOOD!

Actually, the vast majority of Garmin's update pages are hosted on two adjacent numbers.

Since the previous new items (GPSMAP 620 and GPSMAP 640) were on 4431/2 and 4433/4, and BaseCamp WIN is on 4435/6, I'm looking at 4437 on a regular basis.

I'm also looking at every other unused placeholder between 4400 and 4500.

And thank you for doing that! :o

Here's a YouTube of how the track playback works.

Maybe that's the way it is "Supposed to" work, but on mine, the arrow just sits on the starting point and occasionally jumps around that one trackpoint, but never advances.

edited later..

I had to select the X100 multiplier to get it to move....and it's not exceptionally fast there...

2nd edit...

The speed multiplier is "relative to" how far you are zoomed in. I can't see how anything below X5 will ever get used. Zoomed out where you can see an entire medium length (3-4 miles) track, you won't see any movement except at X100, or possibly X20.

It also blows it's mind, during playback, if you have any edited/joined tracks. Apparently due to the different times the trackpoints were logged.

Edited by Grasscatcher
Yes.

This is all speculation on my part, I'm just reading the "tea leaves" that have been posted so far.

My homebrewn maps with DEM do work. However there is still no information of how to compile your own DEM. So you have to include a DEM from a commercial Garmin map to your own. The process of doing this is however very very advanced and good description only available in Spanish. It is nice however to create your own routable mountainbiking map out of OSM data, add a DEM and then being able to show a nice profile besides your autoroute.

My homebrewn maps with DEM do work. However there is still no information of how to compile your own DEM. So you have to include a DEM from a commercial Garmin map to your own. The process of doing this is however very very advanced and good description only available in Spanish. It is nice however to create your own routable mountainbiking map out of OSM data, add a DEM and then being able to show a nice profile besides your autoroute.

Do you think you could post a link to those spanish instructions? I'll just have google translate the page. I've got a bunch of 10meter DEM's that are dying to show up in a custom mapset.

Do you think you could post a link to those spanish instructions? I'll just have google translate the page. I've got a bunch of 10meter DEM's that are dying to show up in a custom mapset.

As I understand it, he is saying you can not use your own DEM data. I assume you need to extract the DEM data from and existing Garmin map product and stitch it into your own custom map.

Why does my Oregon have more POI's than BaseCamp?

I tried searching BaseCamp for Blencathra but "No Results Found"

However if I search my Oregon

WHERE TO?>EXTRAS>UK MOUNTAINS= HILL BLENCATHRA

Found a bug. If I then tap its name, then the waypoint icon it saves it as a waypoint then CRASHES!

Why does my Oregon have more POI's than BaseCamp?

I tried searching BaseCamp for Blencathra but "No Results Found"

However if I search my Oregon

Found a bug. If I then tap its name, then the waypoint icon it saves it as a waypoint then CRASHES!

You have loaded certain maps into your unit that are not on the PC/Basecamp.

I have CityNavigator and certain areas of TOP and Discoverer but I cannot find it!

I have not got this

so it may be specific to a map you have loaded to the unit.

The only map in Basecamp for me is TOPO GB

Edited by strumble