Special Olympics Geocoin

Rygel

Hi all,

I'd like to create a Geocoin as a fundraiser for our local Special Olympics group. Is there anything in the GC guidelines that would prevent this or any steps I need to be sure I go through?

Does it make a difference if the coin is trackable vs non-trackable?

From a collector standpoint, do you prefer trackable over non-trackable?

Does anyone know of a coin maker who would give a non-profit a break on the price of coin pricing?

Thanks,

--Ben

Good idea for a coin. Obviously you'd need the authorization of Special Olympics if you are going to use their logo on the coin. I don't think there would be any problem with it from geocaching.com's standpoint but all designs (if trackable) are approved for various reasons - family friendliness being a big one.

Personally, I prefer trackable coins and in your situation I think there is the added benefit of that making it possible and likely that the coins would be sent out to travel and bring further awareness to your cause.

As for specific vendors, I think your best bet would be to approach as many as you can and see who can work out the best deal for you.

Good luck and I can't wait to see the finished coins! :blink:

Good idea for a coin. Obviously you'd need the authorization of Special Olympics if you are going to use their logo on the coin. I don't think there would be any problem with it from geocaching.com's standpoint but all designs (if trackable) are approved for various reasons - family friendliness being a big one.

Personally, I prefer trackable coins and in your situation I think there is the added benefit of that making it possible and likely that the coins would be sent out to travel and bring further awareness to your cause.

As for specific vendors, I think your best bet would be to approach as many as you can and see who can work out the best deal for you.

Good luck and I can't wait to see the finished coins! :blink:

Thanks, I kind of hope the idea would spread to the other regions in the State. We have 9 regions in the State. All the Regions only get together a few times a year which be a great way to exchange coins!

This post from the pinned threads will answer a lot of questions: Click here

Here's a couple of snippets:

This forum may be used for selling, trading or giving away of geocoins which are trackable on Geocaching.com. This includes any trackable coin produced by an individual, business or geocaching organization. Non-trackable coins may be posted for trade by individual coin owners.

The proceeds from a permitted coin sale can be used for any purpose, such as personal profit, support of a geocaching organization, or to benefit a charitable cause.

Likewise, you'll need to contact the vendors listed to see who might be willing to work with you on price. We don't allow "bidding" to occur in the threads here so that should be done offline. Just reach out to a few with your idea and see what response you get.

As for the part about being trackable or not: they need to be trackable to be sold OR promoted here. That being said, if this coin is NOT going to be trackable, you can only post it for trading purposes, not sale.

That includes saying things like "email me for sales information....", etc.

That being said, since you are doing this as a fundraiser it will have to be trackable to allow this thread to remain open. If not, please let us know and we'll close this thread.

Thank you,

FSM

Ok, I've got the initial OK from Special Olympics New York's main office. Looks like I will be doing a trackable coin.

If any vendors on here would be willing to cut a non-profit a break on the cost please send me a PM.

I'm hoping to get an artist friend to do the design but if he is not able then I could use an artists help too!

Thanks!

Ok, I've got the initial OK from Special Olympics New York's main office. Looks like I will be doing a trackable coin.

If any vendors on here would be willing to cut a non-profit a break on the cost please send me a PM.

I'm hoping to get an artist friend to do the design but if he is not able then I could use an artists help too!

Thanks!

PM sent, sounds like a great project!

Hi all,

Thanks to the generous offer from Jim Berk at The Caching Place the Special Olympics New York Area 27 fund raising coins are becoming a reality.

Attached is the final design. Just wondering how many people would be interested in these coins at $10 per coin?

All profits would go to New York State Area 27 and would provide funds for athletes uniforms, transportation, equipment, etc.

3505749468_dc7d1d0d5a.jpg

Hi all,

Thanks to the generous offer from Jim Berk at The Caching Place the Special Olympics New York Area 27 fund raising coins are becoming a reality.

Attached is the final design. Just wondering how many people would be interested in these coins at $10 per coin?

All profits would go to New York State Area 27 and would provide funds for athletes uniforms, transportation, equipment, etc.

3505749468_dc7d1d0d5a.jpg

I would take one for sure when they come in.

Nice job.

First of all I like to say Outstanding job on this geocoin and making it become a reality. I have worked over 10 years with special people with special needs and have participated every year with bringing my clients to Special Olympics practice, and it is a joy to see how the special people win and see their faces light up when they receive a meatal or a ribbon, they really try hard and all stick together as one big family like here in the forums. I be honored to dedicate this coin for the time that I have worked with Special people and see so many come along ways. There was not a day that went by that I didnt have such a rewarding feeling knowing without my help it may have not been possible for them to meet their goals and acheive as much as they did without my help. I am truley blessed to know I have helped make a difference in peoples lives.

I be honored to add one to our geocoin collection. :D

Threads merged for the OP.

Reminder that we keep to a "one coin, one thread" rule. Please keep all information about this coin in this single thread so that:

1) There are not multiple threads on the same coin (one for artwork, one for pricing, one for shipping, etc.)

2) All information is in one place for your 'customers'

Since you are doing this for the first time, keep this is mind:

Many people will express interest in the coin but not have budget/money for it when it actually comes out. This is not meant to be mean-spirited, but a reality when things are not paid for upfront (which has it's own issues).

Also, not everybody that is interested will see this thread and post that they are.

What I'm trying to say is: If this coin is important to you - do it. Don't count on the responses here to make your final decision for you.

- FSM

Threads merged for the OP.

Reminder that we keep to a "one coin, one thread" rule. Please keep all information about this coin in this single thread so that:

1) There are not multiple threads on the same coin (one for artwork, one for pricing, one for shipping, etc.)

2) All information is in one place for your 'customers'

Since you are doing this for the first time, keep this is mind:

Many people will express interest in the coin but not have budget/money for it when it actually comes out. This is not meant to be mean-spirited, but a reality when things are not paid for upfront (which has it's own issues).

Also, not everybody that is interested will see this thread and post that they are.

What I'm trying to say is: If this coin is important to you - do it. Don't count on the responses here to make your final decision for you.

- FSM

Thanks.

The coin is a definite go. I was just curious what kind of interest there was as our initial run is only 100 coins. We'll also be selling them at Special Olympic events which will hopefully generate questions about geocaching and get more people involved around this area.

Well, we are finally set up for Paypal. If you would like a coin or coins please PM your address.

We'll be sending the coins by USPS with Delivery Confirmation for actual cost of shipping.

Coins are $10.00US a piece.

If you'd like a shipping quote before ordering please let me know.

Thanks,

--Ben