GPS Unit for my wife

My wife has been caching with me and uses her iPhone. She can get close, but not as close as with my Garmin 60CSx. She is feeling deprived, so I am thinking about buying her own GPS. My question is should I get the same unit as I have or get something different? By getting the same or very near the same, I can use the same map software and I already know how to use it. But then again, I don't want to miss out on an opportunity to upgrade.

Thoughts?

If you're not just looking for a bunch of people to tell you it is ok to upgrade, my question is, since you're caching with her, why not just pass the GPSr to her?

If you're looking for an excuse to upgrade, all I've heard about the Oregon makes it seem to be a really great unit :blink:

Share? :blink: But its MY GPS!

I really am hoping that if she has her own GPS she will do some caching on her own or with some of our new found friends. Of course, the competitive side of me says give her an old GPS with no batteries!

Obviously, I am kidding. Maybe I am looking for an excuse to upgrade (but don't tell my wife)! :blink:

The 60CSx is a fine unit and one of the best available - however consider a unit with full paperless caching abilities like the Garmin Colorado or Oregon series - or the Delorme PN-40.

Get a Colorado/Oregon or Delorme for yourself and give the 60CSx to your wife.

Another option would be to get a Vista HCx (would cost less than another 60CSx) so that you can use the same basemaps and a copy of the iPhone geocaching app for paperless caching.

we use to run with 1 Magellan Explorist 210 and a DeLorme PN-20. When we wanted to upgrade the Magellan we chose the DeLorme PN-40 for many reasons but one of them was it would be easier to load caches into like devices quickly instead of running different routines for each brand. Can you guess who gets to load the GPSr's with caches?

I've been looking at the new Lowrances they are releasing 3 new units in may the cheapest one in the series is $245CDN looks to have the same if not more features than the Colorado and Oregon combined. It has touch screen, button backup, 2000 waypoints, paperless caching (up to 3000 caches), you can add up to a 32GB microSD card (garmin looks like 4GB is the max) The only thing I haven't been able to determine is if it'll do Wherigo I have one on order at $150 cheaper than the Colorado it looks promising. I have a Lowrance Ifinder Expedition C it will be nice to load caches direct from gc.com

As someone whose hubby just bought her a new "toy" a week or so ago, please just ask your wife which she prefers and then buy it. lol! I have no idea about the different systems, but my poor hubby tried and well, I would have preferred he just ask what I wanted and then bought it. Good intentions though.

As someone whose hubby just bought her a new "toy" a week or so ago, please just ask your wife which she prefers and then buy it. lol! I have no idea about the different systems, but my poor hubby tried and well, I would have preferred he just ask what I wanted and then bought it. Good intentions though.

And what do I do if she says she would prefer jewelry? :o

Thank you all for your suggestions and comments. I'll be shopping around......

Happy caching all!

My wife has been caching with me and uses her iPhone. She can get close, but not as close as with my Garmin 60CSx. She is feeling deprived, so I am thinking about buying her own GPS. My question is should I get the same unit as I have or get something different? By getting the same or very near the same, I can use the same map software and I already know how to use it. But then again, I don't want to miss out on an opportunity to upgrade.

Thoughts?

Get her the same. It makes support a lot easier if you are both using the same thing. Unless she actually has a preference in which case get her what she wants.

Edited by Renegade Knight

Get her a really, really, really complicated one so that when she can't figure it out you can graciously offer her yours. She will be impressed you thought to get her the very best. She will be gratefull when you offer her an easier GPS. You will wind up with an upgraded GPS. Three good reasons if you ask me!

Edited by WeeWillie
Get her a really, really, really complicated one so that when she can't figure it out you can graciously offer her yours. She will be impressed you thought to get her the very best. She will be gratefull when you offer her an easier GPS. You will wind up with an upgraded GPS. Three good reasons if you ask me!

Except a really complicated to use unit may not be an "upgrade" :o

I'm guessing that you have been married for a while. :unsure:

I would by an external Bluetooth GPSr to use with the Iphone (Iphone have Bluetooth right?). For less than $100 you can get one with <3m accuracy, and about -160dBm senstivity (some even as low as -165dBm). Then she can still use all her cool GPS apps she has on the phone, and will not have to re-learn a new device.

This is what I have done with my windows mobile phone.

I would by an external Bluetooth GPSr to use with the Iphone (Iphone have Bluetooth right?). For less than $100 you can get one with <3m accuracy, and about -160dBm senstivity (some even as low as -165dBm). Then she can still use all her cool GPS apps she has on the phone, and will not have to re-learn a new device.

This is what I have done with my windows mobile phone.

BlueTooth is not an 'on' or 'off'' feature, it has more than one implementation. I don't think the BlueTooth

used in the iPhone will do much more than headset communication. I could be wrong, but doubt the iPhone

would see it(GPS puck), and it would need cell service to have any mapping avail.

Norm

I'm guessing that you have been married for a while. :wub:

Or not nearly long enough. :lol:

...ken...

Having both been through the Colorado phase my wife has the Oregon and I have the 60csx (using POIs). This in my opinion is the best of both worlds. I just got the iphone and the geocaching program is awesome, even better after yesterdays update. So now we both can be completely paperless. I had the PN-40 but prefer the 60 and the Oregon over it. So it went back and I got the iphone. Everyone has their own perferences and the iphone won't meet everyone's needs but the iphone 60 combo isn't too bad being that you have the fully paperless advantage of the iphone and the rock solidness of the 60. Good luck with whatever you choose.