Subscriber Only Caches

I recently spent the entire day hiking around the desert (first time I have been physically able to in a long time) with Jam3s, JeromyL, MaggieL and Lily, our geo-dog. I was able to log all of the Well caches that we hit on Well Road, except 1, specifically GC1GA37 "Well, ok, just one more" which is a suscriber cache. I have some questions about this. 1) Are we still doing suscriber only caches, 2) If my husband is a paid suscriber, and I am with him, shouldn't I be allowed to log it too? 3) Is it fair to require both husband and wife, as well as any children that they may have who are also geocaching, individually be paid suscribers? That's a lot of money for some of us, especially now that the economy has gone to Hades. I don't think it's fair that I did the hiking, signed the log, and am still not allowed to log this caches even though my husband is allowed to. Is there a way to fix this situation that is fair to everyone? I understand that some caches are very expensive to maintain, but honestly, I didn't think that this one merited that status. Just my opinion.

Well. I have never been a subscriber or sub anything in my entire life.

Many thanks to Starbrand for the information. I will have JeromyL look into that. However, I want to be able to log the cache legally, and not step on anyone else's toes.

If I am married to the subscriber, then I do not feel I am "playing on his dime". Especially not if I do just as much walking and hunting as he does. Nevada is a Community Property state, and if creditors can come after me for his debt and vice versa, then it should be quid pro quo for logging caches as well.

Sioneva, I thought you had passed on to the Great CITO Event in the Sky!!!!! No, haven't Geonapped anyone recently, although JeromyL, MaggieL and I along with our dog Lily were held hostage and forced to Geocache all day long a couple of weekends ago by a really nice guy from out of state who showed up at one of our notorious breakfast events. Tit for Tat, I guess, LOL I miss you. Remember, no matter how much it hurt when you abandoned us out here in the desert, we still love you and you can still come home, just don't bring the cops. :-)

Oh yeah. Before I forget. Perhaps it would be helpful if the forum schedule with a full list of allowed topics organized by day/date/time etc. could be posted on the Groundspeak Home Page for those of us who are innocently violating the rules.

Edited by Jezebel1967

Hmph. Hogwash. Poppycock. Balderdash. Blarney. Nonsense. Claptrap. My only excuse is that I have ADD, and find it extremely difficult to remain on topic with so many distractions. :blink: So there.

I'm sorry, but despite what Keystone posted, discussions about staying on topic are only allowed on Fridays...

... I'm hoping to get back to Vegas for a visit sometime this year. We'll see!

Hmph. Hogwash. Poppycock. Balderdash. Blarney. Nonsense. Claptrap. My only excuse is that I have ADD, and find it extremely difficult to remain on topic with so many distractions. :blink: So there.

I'm sorry, but despite what Keystone posted, discussions about staying on topic are only allowed on Fridays...

... I'm hoping to get back to Vegas for a visit sometime this year. We'll see!

Fab! Let us know, and we'll all hook up and do some power caching and catch up. xoxox

There is an "offcial" backdoor method for logging PM only caches for non-PMs.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?ID=xxxxxx

Visit that link only change the x's to the cache id number for the cache you want to log - take note of it when your husband logs it.

HQ has announced a future addtion - something like a family subscriber account - details and timeline unknown.

As of 8:06 PM EST USA March 30, 2009, backdoor ain't working!

Sorry :blink:

I thought this topic was scheduled for Thursdays?

There's a schedule for discussing forum topics? Seriously? :blink:

Questions about posts are on Tuesdays.

No, Tuesday's discussion is Double Posts. Questions are Saturdays.

\you never get that right!!

~*

Dang! I think I'm still running with the old schedule.

Been meaning to ask, whose life and do you have plans to deal with 'em?

I just LOVE the Dodgers . . . they are like my family and act as a family - a super team! I can listen to Vin Scully for hours, he is GREAT and knows the game so well. I used to sit in the stadium watching the game & listen to him on earphones - what an experience.

I could watch the game on TV and listen to the radio and get almost ALL of the joy of being there . . . but, to get the full experience, I had to buy a ticket into the stadium.

You can have the full geocaching experience, all the joy, exercise, places, flora, fauna, people and fun . . . but, if you want the FULL experience - you gotta buy a ticket.

It is not reasonable to get so much for no cost from gc.com and expect more for nothing . . . good grief, if one can not afford $30.00, they have some serious bigger concerns - like gas to go caching, lunches on the road + real problems, like finding $2.50 per month to log finds :blink: .

At the risk being accused of taking the topic seriously I gotta say, I'm with the OP on this point. How many premium memberships should one household need to purchase?

Jezebel, have you contacted the cache owner? Sometimes they will help out by temporarily lifting the PMO requirements.

At the risk being accused of taking the topic seriously I gotta say, I'm with the OP on this point. How many premium memberships should one household need to purchase?

Jezebel, have you contacted the cache owner? Sometimes they will help out by temporarily lifting the PMO requirements.

I'm going to have JeromyL (my other half) look into it, since he is a paid subscriber and I don't want to be pushy. Perhaps it can be done as a courtesy that way, and it can be lifted long enough for me to log it and then it can just be reinstated as a Subscriber Only cache if the owner thinks it really needs to be one. It's one of about 25 or so caches along the same stretch of road at fairly regular intervals, and since the road is the Old Well Road, they all have the word "Well" in the cache title. It just kind of sticks out like a sore thumb that it is the only SO cache on the whole road.

I'm going to have JeromyL (my other half) look into it, since he is a paid subscriber and I don't want to be pushy. Perhaps it can be done as a courtesy that way, and it can be lifted long enough for me to log it and then it can just be reinstated as a Subscriber Only cache if the owner thinks it really needs to be one. It's one of about 25 or so caches along the same stretch of road at fairly regular intervals, and since the road is the Old Well Road, they all have the word "Well" in the cache title. It just kind of sticks out like a sore thumb that it is the only SO cache on the whole road.

Did you read post #2? The CO doesn't have to lift anything.

Jim

Did you read post #2? The CO doesn't have to lift anything.

Jim

Did you read post #17? It appears that the work around isn't working.

However, I want to be able to log the cache legally, and not step on anyone else's toes.

The backdoor is intentional. Without going into all the reasons from other threads, the backdoor process is "legal", legit, sanctioned or whatever else you want to call it.

Caches are meant to be found.

I recently spent the entire day hiking around the desert (first time I have been physically able to in a long time) with Jam3s, JeromyL, MaggieL and Lily, our geo-dog. I was able to log all of the Well caches that we hit on Well Road, except 1, specifically GC1GA37 "Well, ok, just one more" which is a suscriber cache. I have some questions about this. 1) Are we still doing suscriber only caches, 2) If my husband is a paid suscriber, and I am with him, shouldn't I be allowed to log it too? 3) Is it fair to require both husband and wife, as well as any children that they may have who are also geocaching, individually be paid suscribers? That's a lot of money for some of us, especially now that the economy has gone to Hades. I don't think it's fair that I did the hiking, signed the log, and am still not allowed to log this caches even though my husband is allowed to. Is there a way to fix this situation that is fair to everyone? I understand that some caches are very expensive to maintain, but honestly, I didn't think that this one merited that status. Just my opinion.

Is this for real? There's always a lame sob story(first time I have been physically able to.....) blah-blah-blah..... If you wanna log the PMO cache, then buy a membership. OMG !

The sob stories aren't the point. Those who sell the memberships (Groundspeak) are the ones who put the work around in place. TPTB have stated in the past that they have no problem with pmo caches being logged by non-premium members. That leave the owner of the cache. If a given cache owner doesn't want to let a non-premium member log that is between him/her and the cacher attempting to log the cache.

I still think that there should be a family membership. perhaps $45 for a household. But then again that isn't up to me.

The workaround was intentionally left by TPTB so families could log the cache online. Jeremy has stated that it is OK to use the method, he even linked to the method in that post. Jeremy has also said they are looking into a way to have a "family account" that would allow this to be easy to do in a formal way. They do understand that a family with three children under 16 (for instance) have no need of five full premium memberships just so the little ones can log the premium member accounts. To add weight to that argument, this ability was broken by a recent update and has been fixed again, intentionally.

The way we used to do it before we had two premium accounts:

The premium account holder would log into the account and select "Log this cache" then we'd log out of that account and into the non-premium account and write the log and send it. If you weren't in the same house at the time, you could email the link to the other person.

I just checked, and that method still works.

After a non-premium member logs this way, they will always be able to see their own log, but they will never be able to read the entire cache page unless they purchase a premium membership for that account.

I looked around a little to see if I could find any of the previous posts I mentioned. I got tired of looking before I found the one where he linked to the method, but it is out there...

Here is one where Jeremy supports the use of the backdoor method to log the cache, and refers to the reasons he feels this is a good thing (see the post just above his).

And here is a more recent one where OpinionNate lets everyone know the breaking of the backdoor logging method was accidental, and would be reset.

And finally, here is one of the many discussions that explored the idea of having some sort of shared accounts. shared memberships discussed in this thread

Most cache owners are gracious about allowing non-PM logs to stand; very few people care if non-PMs log the cache after finding it with a friend or family member. Usually the reason they place them is to get the audit log or to try to secure the cache from casual vandals. One couple I know say they make their caches PM for a couple of weeks so they are test-driven by more experienced cachers who might previde better feedback ~ Letting a non-PM log a PM cache does not change any of these perks in the slightest.

Obviously allowing a non-premium member to log a premium member cache does no harm to the cache owner, Groundspeak, geocaching, of any of the rest of us. We all "pay" for our privileges here one way or another--some us buy premium memberships, some of us place caches for everyone to enjoy, some of us host events, some of us leave great swag, some of us pick up the area as we cache, some of write terrific logs, and some of us promote caching to our friends and relatives.

Is this for real? There's always a lame sob story(first time I have been physically able to.....) blah-blah-blah..... If you wanna log the PMO cache, then buy a membership. OMG !

Wow, thanks for your concern. FYI, I have a clotting problem that causes DVT's in my legs, which makes it physically painful to walk even a fair distance. I would hate to think of what would happen if someone caching with you broke a leg. I was not asking for sympathy, I just think that if you want to an elitist group, then don't advertise and don't encourage "non-members" to participate. I happen to enjoy geocaching with my husband, and I feel that if we are a married couple caching together, then we should BOTH be allowed to log a cache. Subscriber Only caches are exclusional, which I feel is unfair to the rest of us, especially those of us with chilren who only go out with us occasionally. There is absolutely no need for you to be insulting and rude, as I have done/said nothing to you or about you that would warrant this behavior. Thankfully, the geocachers in my area are not that rude and insensitive.

Edited by Jezebel1967

Wow, thanks for your concern. FYI, I have a clotting problem that causes DVT's in my legs, which makes it physically painful to walk even a fair distance. Remind me to never cache in your area. I would hate to think of what would happen if someone caching with you broke a leg. I was not asking for sympathy, I just think that if you want to be a bunch of elitist snobs, then don't advertise and don't encourage "non-members" to participate. I happen to enjoy geocaching with my husband, and I feel that if we are a married couple caching together, then we should BOTH be allowed to log a cache. Subscriber Only caches are insulting at best, and exclusional, which was not the way that I was raised. There is absolutely no need for you to be insulting and rude, as I have done/said nothing to you or about you that would warrant this behavior. Thankfully, the geocachers in my area are not that rude and insensitive.

I'm still on your side here, no matter how hard you are making it.

I looked around a little to see if I could find any of the previous posts I mentioned. I got tired of looking before I found the one where he linked to the method, but it is out there...

Here is one where Jeremy supports the use of the backdoor method to log the cache, and refers to the reasons he feels this is a good thing (see the post just above his).

And here is a more recent one where OpinionNate lets everyone know the breaking of the backdoor logging method was accidental, and would be reset.

And finally, here is one of the many discussions that explored the idea of having some sort of shared accounts. shared memberships discussed in this thread

Most cache owners are gracious about allowing non-PM logs to stand; very few people care if non-PMs log the cache after finding it with a friend or family member. Usually the reason they place them is to get the audit log or to try to secure the cache from casual vandals. One couple I know say they make their caches PM for a couple of weeks so they are test-driven by more experienced cachers who might previde better feedback ~ Letting a non-PM log a PM cache does not change any of these perks in the slightest.

Obviously allowing a non-premium member to log a premium member cache does no harm to the cache owner, Groundspeak, geocaching, of any of the rest of us. We all "pay" for our privileges here one way or another--some us buy premium memberships, some of us place caches for everyone to enjoy, some of us host events, some of us leave great swag, some of us pick up the area as we cache, some of write terrific logs, and some of us promote caching to our friends and relatives.

Thanks Neos. In your research did you happen to find anything that mentioned just when TPTB thought they may be getting to actually doing something about all of this?

I'm still on your side here, no matter how hard you are making it.

Please note that I did go back and rephrase my response. I find it really annoying that some people are just insulting and rude, and there is no need for that. We're all supposed to be in it for the same reasons, and I simply do not understand how some people can be as nice as the people I usually cache with, and some people can be so ugly and nasty about the whole thing. My husband and I are not snobbish people, we try to get along with everyone, and this TeamSeekAndWeShallFind person/team or whatever was very insulting, which I felt unnecessary.

Thanks for doing so much research on my behalf. I have decided to simply not log the cache, and I have asked my husband to verify that any caches he downloads into the GPS not be Subscriber Only until there is a "Family Plan" readily available. I figure, if I can't log them, then why bother visiting them? I do understand your points, and agree with some of them. However, what if I had found the cache without my husband? Then it would still be an exclusionary cache, and none of the caches that we have placed have been Members Only because I don't believe in them. We cache for the thrill of the hunt, the comraderie of caching with friends, to spend quality time with each other and our children with out having to deal with the television, computers, etc., and for the fresh air, sunshine, and the exercise. Again, thanks anyway. Happy Caching!

I still have no problem with PMO caches, and I certainly see both sides of this. The OP should not need to purchase a pm when the people who run this site, and are the ones selling them, don't have a problem with her sharing the pm benefits that her family is already paying for. That as it may be, a CO owns his cache and can run as he/she sees fit. Nothing in this thread has changed my mind.

What I don't see is how people can get so nasty over something so silly. TeamSeekAndWeShallFind, Is Jezebel1967 taking money out of your wallet? Jezebel1967, is TeamSeekAndWeShallFind denying your kids food? The answer is no to both. Step back, take a deep breath, and try to be a bit more understanding of each other.

Thanks Neos. In your research did you happen to find anything that mentioned just when TPTB thought they may be getting to actually doing something about all of this?

I could be mistaken, but I think there have been tiny baby steps in that direction...oh not directly, but behind the scenes things being added to the programming that might someday make it possible to offer something like that.

It would be a major paradigm shift in how accounts are arranged, and will have to be done "just so" --try to put it in place and have it not work, and many people would be upset. It is bound to be more complicated than most of us realize.

Most people really don't need family accounts, they would just like them. About the only time I hear anyone have any concern about it is when they run into one of those cache owners that doesn't recognize that all five of the "Fabulous Cacher Family" really don't need premium memberships even thought they want to log that PM cache.

Thanks for doing so much research on my behalf. I have decided to simply not log the cache, and I have asked my husband to verify that any caches he downloads into the GPS not be Subscriber Only until there is a "Family Plan" readily available. I figure, if I can't log them, then why bother visiting them? I do understand your points, and agree with some of them. However, what if I had found the cache without my husband? Then it would still be an exclusionary cache, and none of the caches that we have placed have been Members Only because I don't believe in them. We cache for the thrill of the hunt, the comraderie of caching with friends, to spend quality time with each other and our children with out having to deal with the television, computers, etc., and for the fresh air, sunshine, and the exercise. Again, thanks anyway. Happy Caching!

You are welcome.

And, may I add my thoughts on all of this? Please?

I used to feel PMO (premium member only) caches were exclusionary, also. And then I really listened to some of the people who choose to place them for what I feel are the right reasons.

* To discourage casual vandals (most are kids who won't/can't plunk down the cash to see the coords)

* To have the first cachers to find the cache be premium members because...most really new cachers aren't PM yet, so you get better feedback on the cache

* You get an audit log that shows who clicked on your cache page (although there are people who see the info that don't show up)

* To try to ferret out the serious serial cache vandals (rarely helps, but it's worth a shot)

* To reward premium members by having caches only they can read about and enjoy reading logs on

Most cache owners put out PM caches for those reasons. They do not put them out just to be exclusionary. They don't peruse their audit logs and cache logs hunting for non-members who log the cache so they can gleefully delete the log and feel smug for having done so.

Having a few select caches be off limits to some cachers, while slightly exclusionary, may serve to pique the interest of local cachers who aren't PMs--if the caches are eventually listed as non-PM.

Having too many PMO caches in one area "just because you can" is bound to have negative impact on how people perceive you as a cache owner, and the game in general.

* Most people don't shell out $30 just to see if they like something --- and without seeing the cache pages, this game would seem pretty lame, perhaps even menacing in a vaguely uncomfortable way, to the person who accidentally stumbled upon it.

* Not being able to see dozens and dozens of caches just seems unwelcoming to new cachers in the area

* Like it or not, most families really do not need full memberships for the entire family. There is no need for my family to have 25 PQs a day, for instance. Spending that money just so the kids can log the occasional PMO cache would be a foolish and unwarrented waste of our family resources.

* There are many other ways to support geocaching.

* I'd even add that $30 to some folks is a stretch in the budget. For those of you who've never been there, "Good on ya" For the for the rest of us, let's remember when we had to chose between things to pay for, and cut the folks who're still feeling stretched some slack. (Every one of us PMs knows that once people figure out what they are missing they will find a way to pay for the PM account, even if they have to cut out a few lattes they usually use for their rare treat or put off buying a new pair of sneakers).

*** Premium member accounts is the last reason I would ever want to buy a premium member account, and it is the last reason I would encourage anyone else to do so, as well. ***

There are wonderful reasons to have a PM account: PQs and caches along a route would definitely top my list of reasons and are worth the money all by themselves. The other myriad differences in the way the site works for PMs would be the other main draw for me.

Even the PMO cache owners who feel most strongly about only PMs logging their caches will sometimes make exceptions if you ask first--especially for families. For the most part, cache owners are gracious stewards of the game who encourage visitors to the caches and practice generosity toward others.

Thankfully the people who never allow exceptions are rare in geocaching.

If I were comfortable enough to go geocaching alone, then maybe I would be more open to the idea of paying the $30 for the premium membership. Being severely directionally challenged enough to require a navigational system, I don't think wandering around in the desert and even in out of town places is a good idea for me. I prefer to be with my husband or with other geocachers for my own personal safety, and since I am with my husband for 99% of the time I spend geocaching, I don't feel I need a premium membership. In addition to that, as anyone from Las Vegas will attest, the unemployment rate in the state of NV is over 10% right now. I myself have been out of work since I was laid off in August of 2008. Although I am actively looking for work, while I am out of work, my family is included in those people who have to watch what and where we spend our money. Having two paid memberships would not break us, per se, but I don't see the need to spend money on memberships when there are bills to pay, and children to clothe, shoe and feed.

I simply don't feel it appropriate for people to be insulting and degrading simply because I have physical issues. I am proud of my progress, and I know several other cachers that I hang out with who have also overcome physical difficulties in the name of geocaching. No one is asking for pity or sympathy.

I understand why there are premium member caches. Neos2 outlined most of the reasons above. What I don't understand is why non-members can't log them. I haven't read all the forum clashes on the subject, but personally I haven't heard a reason spelled out beyond "because they shouldn't be able to". I don't get the "why" there. If the reason is that you want to support this website, you are ignoring the fact that Groundspeak put in a workaround themselves. I don't see any reason besides arbitrary rule enforcement. Now that ALRs are gone, I don't see a reason that anyone who signs the log shouldn't be able to log a PM cache.

If I were comfortable enough to go geocaching alone, then maybe I would be more open to the idea of paying the $30 for the premium membership. Being severely directionally challenged enough to require a navigational system, I don't think wandering around in the desert and even in out of town places is a good idea for me. I prefer to be with my husband or with other geocachers for my own personal safety, and since I am with my husband for 99% of the time I spend geocaching, I don't feel I need a premium membership. In addition to that, as anyone from Las Vegas will attest, the unemployment rate in the state of NV is over 10% right now. I myself have been out of work since I was laid off in August of 2008. Although I am actively looking for work, while I am out of work, my family is included in those people who have to watch what and where we spend our money. Having two paid memberships would not break us, per se, but I don't see the need to spend money on memberships when there are bills to pay, and children to clothe, shoe and feed.

I simply don't feel it appropriate for people to be insulting and degrading simply because I have physical issues. I am proud of my progress, and I know several other cachers that I hang out with who have also overcome physical difficulties in the name of geocaching. No one is asking for pity or sympathy.

There is no reason you should not be able to log the find. I'm sure that 99.9% of the cache owners will not object, especially if you mention you were caching with your husband. The means to log the cache has been mentioned in this thread. Use it. Groundspeak supports you when it comes to logging the cache.

Jim

Sorry, but access to the forum topic discussion schedule is a premium member feature.

Suggestions about the forum topic discussion schedule need to be posted in the Geocaching.com Web Site section of the forums. Please keep on topic.

And there's the rub. Why, why, WHY!?!?!? must you force the burden of premium membership upon the masses. Why would you, Keystone, want to perpetuate the domination of cachers all over the world. Does the frog have you hostage? Is it making you do these things? We can find you! At least we can get really close! Is there a reactor vent shaft that we can use to finally destroy this infernal machine?

I can't do this anymore with a straight face and I am tired. Vinny? Where are you? You do this so well....

Edit to add: Seriously, if someone contacted me and asked nicely to log one of my PMO caches and it wasn't a certain someone (you know who you are) I would probably let them. As long as they proved to me they were there and satisfied the requirements of finding and logging the cache.

Edited by Freekacher