The List Of How NOT to Hide a Geocache

I think that some people use 'they hid a cache just for the numbers' interchangeably with 'they hid a cache that didnt amuse me'. For some reason those people never understand the difference between the two.

I for one both clearly understand the difference --- and the similarity.

This, for example, appears to be for the numbers, and does not amuse me: :unsure:

turds.jpg

I think that some people use 'they hid a cache just for the numbers' interchangeably with 'they hid a cache that didnt amuse me'. For some reason those people never understand the difference between the two.

This, for example, appears to be for the numbers, and does not amuse me: :)

That amuses me :unsure:

But not in the "im going to run out and find all of those" kind of way. More in the "wtf?!" kind of way.

Honestly, the occasional shopping center cache is fine. There is (was?) a guy around here who found little parks near shopping centers, or hid something cleverly, which was fine... in moderation, he only hid 2-3, and the cache pages indicated the reason "for when your wife is shopping and you are bored" Finding them helped me learn my new neighborhood, as I'd just moved. One of the little parks, was accessible by walking from the shopping center, but driving specifically to the cache you had to come in on a different road. I wouldn't have known it was a shopping cache if not for the cache page.

Then someone else went ahead and hid a bunch of awful leaky containers in every parking lot on the main shopping highway in the county, often in piles of trash. I can't think of any reason for this other than numbers.

This, for example, appears to be for the numbers, and does not amuse me: :unsure:

turds.jpg

I find nothing wrong with that picture. Looks like a nice big mall that lots of people visit. Who knows, perhaps the mall management even approved of the hides. I suspect the mall management does views their mall as place worthy of visiting. I bet they even have a brochure in the rack of brochures for tourist attractions at the local hotel. They many even have public art and other amusements to encourage people to visit the mall. That's why I think is entirely possible that they would even approve of geocaching.

The fact the some peoples idea is that geocaching should get you out in a park or natural area, doesn't negate the fact that others prefer to cache in urban or suburban settings. People pick locations in urban areas for a variety of reasons. They may know a small local park they think is nice. They may find a location where the can tell a bit of the history of there town. They may pick the interesting fountain in front of the library, or hide a cache inside the library. They may put one in their front yard or in the strip mall down the street because those are convenient for them to maintain. They may hide one at their church or at their work location - especially if it is easier for them to get permission here. A large regional mall may attract several caches, just like a large regional park.

There are certainly people who like to hide a lot of caches. I guess you could say any prolific hider is hiding caches to increase their numbers. There are also people who place a lot of caches where you can find parking nearby and the cache can be found quickly. They may be doing this because they know a lot of people will find these caches. I personally hide caches in places where very few people will go because they take some effort to get to. But that doesn't mean it is bad to place cache in places that many people can visit and that many will find.

Do some urban caches get placed too near dumpsters or in alleys where homeless people might urinate? Sure, but some remote cache are placed where there are poison plants or where you need to bushwhack through all kind of nasty stuff. If I find an urban cache in a truly bad location I remember some of the remote caches I've found that were placed in locations that I didn't think were the best. I'll probably put something in my log, as often the hider may not have noticed the situation when the cache was placed, or perhaps the situation changed after the cache placement. When I find a cache with a wet log sheet, I remember the tupperware with cracked lids and even ammo cans where the seal had deteriorated and were full of water.

I find it hard to understand how people can know the hiders motivation in placing a cache, and even if the hider says he hid the cache "just so there would be another cache here" I have trouble is seeing why that isn't a valid reason to hide a cache. I can't tell if 'they hid a cache just for the numbers' is code for 'they hid a cache that didn't amuse me', but when the topic of the thread is "How NOT to Hide a Geocache" and they say "don't hide a cache if the reason is just for numbers", I can't see how else to interpret it.

A point of clarification please, Headhardhat:

Are you asking for a list of cache hiding methods that cause practical problems, or are you asking your fellow cachers about their individual aesthetic cache-finding preferences?

There is a big difference. I think most folks will agree that leaky containers, inaccurate coordinates and food-as-trade-items are all mistakes that are likely to cause grief. On the other hand, there is a wide and deep variety of perfectly acceptable aesthetic choices. I, for example, prefer not to hunt underwater caches. I do NOT, however, resent the mere existence of caches hidden underwater; I simply skip over them, no matter how skillfully they may be constructed.

Practicality and personal aesthetics are two completely different considerations.

Crumbling container: bad.

Parking lot micro: good. (for many, if not everyone.)

Please clarify which one you are asking about -- and please keep this distinction in mind as you consider some of the examples that have been presented so far.

Not true in my posting above. I know the difference and I stand by what I said.

I think the (my opinion) spirit of geocaching is being slaughtered by some cheap/quick hides that are as disposable as a bic lighter or an empty water bottle.

They take little effort to hide/find and the place they take you to is as mundane as can be.

And the purpose behind those hides (admitted) is to increase the numbers of smileys to the nth degree.

There was a forum topic years ago regarding the "shotgunning" of micros out the window of a vehicle going down the road and marking the coordinates as you passed by. (Of course this is not quite the case but the implications are there) It seems that this has come to fruition in a lot of situations.

What's more is that the people who hide caches in that manor are revered as "forward thinking" and "great cache hiders" and that just breeds new cachers to copy that style. The dumbing down of geocaching.

Since neither of you have been shown to be particularly adept at mindreading, I'll stand by my post. Edited by sbell111

Ammo cans: someone already mentioned removing the markings -- all it takes is rubbing alcohol. As good as ammo cans are, don't place them near buildings or in popular urban locations, unless perhaps if so well disguised that they don't resemble anything military. (Pink stucco perhaps.) Paint the ammo can to make it look less military -- textured paint helps. Add a geocaching sticker unless the location makes it impossible to hide with the sticker hidden. Glue a geocaching explanation to the inside top to supplement the normal cache note.

Find a cache first: yeah, I know all the arguments that great hides sometimes come from first-timers and bad hides from multi-K finders. But a hide from someone who has NO finds is almost always bad. It tends to indicate someone who has gotten mistaken impressions of what geocaching is. So find a cache first -- at least one. (Of course, those who would violate this rule are precisely those least likely to read it.)

Edward

Ammo cans: someone already mentioned removing the markings -- all it takes is rubbing alcohol. As good as ammo cans are, don't place them near buildings or in popular urban locations, unless perhaps if so well disguised that they don't resemble anything military. (Pink stucco perhaps.) Paint the ammo can to make it look less military -- textured paint helps. Add a geocaching sticker unless the location makes it impossible to hide with the sticker hidden. Glue a geocaching explanation to the inside top to supplement the normal cache note.

Find a cache first: yeah, I know all the arguments that great hides sometimes come from first-timers and bad hides from multi-K finders. But a hide from someone who has NO finds is almost always bad. It tends to indicate someone who has gotten mistaken impressions of what geocaching is. So find a cache first -- at least one. (Of course, those who would violate this rule are precisely those least likely to read it.)

Edward

my first hide went well even though i only had 1 find.

Bertlake

Don't hide any on school property - especially elementary schools.

This includes Preschools!!!!

Or next to a school such that it's in view of the school (and the school officials watching the kids) or requires parking on the school grounds to access as this also raises suspicions.

Don't hide any on school property - especially elementary schools.

This includes Preschools!!!!

Or next to a school such that it's in view of the school (and the school officials watching the kids) or requires parking on the school grounds to access as this also raises suspicions.

Okay, I've seen the "don't place near a school" comments and I have to say that this is really two issues and neither of warrant placing all caches like this into one lump category and filing it under "things not to do".

1) Permission- I have found a cache at a local middle school. The description said that thy CO had permission from the principal and the "resource officer". The cache was placed by the Honor Society.

There's no problem with this cache. Not just "adequate" permission was granted here but explicit permission. How many caches can you honestly say have that?

2) Finder's Comfort- If you don't feel comfortable hunting a cache at a location, any location for any reason then leave. Don't get out of your car, don't go through the hedge, don't turn over rocks, don't lift the lampskirt- just leave. Nobody is making you be somewhere that you don't want to be. Nobody is making you hunt for the cache.

For the record, I found this particular cache after work when school was out.

I find it hard to understand how people can know the hiders motivation in placing a cache

Some of us get it. Some of us do not.

An inability to understand what, for others, is a simple concept, should not distress you.

I bet that you don't see the irony in your post.

I find it hard to understand how people can know the hiders motivation in placing a cache

Some of us get it. Some of us do not.

An inability to understand what, for others, is a simple concept, should not distress you.

Where did I say that I was distressed? I simply said I don't understand how you can know someone's motivation in placing a cache. I understand that you can speculate on someone's motivation. I understand that sometimes people actually say on the cache page "Here's another one to pad your numbers" or "There wasn't another cache within .1 miles so I put one here". I guess you could take those hiders at their word and figure that was the only reason they hid a cache there. But, why does that make it something that you should never do? There are clearly people who like to find these caches. I see them with hundreds of finds and nearly every log says "Thank You" in some form. If everyone thought these caches were so lame, why the heck are people finding them? The inability to to understand what, for others, is a simple concept, should not distress you. You may find caches you believe are hidden for no purpose other than to have another cache for the numbers motivated cacher are not among your favorites. You may find that a cache in some location that might also make a good waymark in a Waymarking category that is to your liking to be a "better" cache. Other people will decide what caches are "better" according to different criteria.

Edited by tozainamboku
why does that make it something that you should never do?

Surely you're aware of the whole, "Ask Questions - Get Answers" thing, right? Unless I miss my guess, the OP asked for opinions on what not to do when placing a cache. Briansnat offered his opinion, including his belief that you, (the collective you), should not hide a cache if the only reason for doing so is to increase your hide count. I happen to agree with this advice, as I believe it leads to low quality caches, hence, my response. I am a "Quality over quantity" type of guy, who would rather hunt one cache that fits my rather biased aesthetics, then hunt for 50 P&Gs that don't. These are naught but one ol' fat cripples opinions, which the OP asked for. Rather than spend countless keystrokes trying to tear down the opinions offered by others, why not address the issue and answer the OP?

(unless you already did)

-Sean

why does that make it something that you should never do?

Surely you're aware of the whole, "Ask Questions - Get Answers" thing, right? Unless I miss my guess, the OP asked for opinions on what not to do when placing a cache. Briansnat offered his opinion, including his belief that you, (the collective you), should not hide a cache if the only reason for doing so is to increase your hide count. I happen to agree with this advice, as I believe it leads to low quality caches, hence, my response. I am a "Quality over quantity" type of guy, who would rather hunt one cache that fits my rather biased aesthetics, then hunt for 50 P&Gs that don't. These are naught but one ol' fat cripples opinions, which the OP asked for. Rather than spend countless keystrokes trying to tear down the opinions offered by others, why not address the issue and answer the OP?

(unless you already did)

-Sean

We'll I guess I didn't directly answer the OP. My first post in this thread however anticipated that it might go down the road it did so I mentioned that you could say

1. Don't hide caches that violate the guidelines
  2. Don't hide caches that are likely to be muggled or otherwise require more maintenance
  3. Don't hide caches I don't like

briansnat posted three examples and they happened to fit exactly into the above categories. I wasn't going to respond at all to what briansnat said, but out of the woodwork crawled the people who not only agreed with his third point but felt that it was the best post so far. At that point I felt I had to point out that blaming "bad" caches on cachers not have what you consider a good reason for hiding the cache, is going after caches someone doesn't like not after really bad cache. I even gave examples of what some would call lame caches where the cache owners gave a "good" reason on the cache page - an LPC where a old barn used to be, a guardrail cache near where a movie was made, and a nano on a sign the near a gas station that had some information about historic uses of that corner - just to show that having a reason is not a guarantee of a good cache. I probably also could have found some caches where the person said they hid a cache just to put one there that most people would not call lame.

Funny thing is that if the topic was what can you do to improve your cache placement, I would have no problem saying "Give some thought to the location and why you would want to bring someone there beyond just to find a cache". I agree that location can make an otherwise boring cache worthwhile, though it is no guarantee. But the topic here was what not to do when you hide a cache. IMO, forcing a person to have a reason other than to hide a cache is wrong and caches hidden for this reason are not necessarily bad.

<snip> I wasn't going to respond at all to what briansnat said, but out of the woodwork crawled the people who not only agreed with his third point but felt that it was the best post so far. <snip>

IMO, forcing a person to have a reason other than to hide a cache is wrong and caches hidden for this reason are not necessarily bad.

I didn't realize that I "crawled out of the woodwork" when I made my post. I voiced my opinion then I guess I crawled back into the aformentioned woodwork.

I agree with snat's third point. It strikes close to home and as I stated, I think the practice of planting a cache for the sole reason to increase your hide count and increase somebodies find count is the "dumbing down of geocaching".

I have been caching since April of 2002. I have seen before my own eyes how cache hiding criteria has gone downhill in the past couple of years.

But then, I wasn't interested in diverting this topic in the first place.

<crawls back into the woodwork>

I apologize for the "crawled out of woodwork" remark. That was an unfair characterization.

I understand and sympathize with the people who feel that giving some thought to the selection of a location for cache placement is important. I used to feel that way myself. I even started to post "Thanks for the smiley" on caches where I thought the hider had placed the cache only so people could get another smiley and not to bring them to some interesting place. I did this on a few caches where I had gone paperless to find out later that the hider had written something on the cache page to indicate that this was not just a random spot. I once criticized a hider who wrote he placed the cache just to keep his hide to find ratio at 1 to 10. After an exchange of emails with the hider, I found out that he had other reasons for placing the cache where he did, and although I didn't particularly care for that hide, I realized that I had found other caches that I did enjoy that were placed for much the same reasons. I've come to realize that trying to decide which reasons for placing a cache are sufficient is like deciding which virtual caches were "Wow".

I'm pretty sure that the caches I most enjoy finding are similar to the caches briansnat, Clan Riffster, and zoltig enjoy finding. I much prefer hiking to driving around in urban areas, and when I do urban caches I prefer nice little parks preferably where there is a an interesting monument, statue, fountain, or garden to enjoy while I'm looking for the cache. But I also know many cachers who enjoy figuring out a route that lets them find 50 or more caches in a day, some of which may be hidden in lampposts in parking lot or on the sides of utility boxes. I have no problem with people hiding these caches because I can mostly ignore them. It's pretty easy to see which caches are in parks - these are the green areas on my map. I will go urban caching with friends and I also may find one or two on my lunch hour or when out doing other errands. I keep the number small and I stop if I'm not having fun. Sometimes I get surprises - an old historic building, some public art, or even an historic marker. Other times the cache may be in the alley near a dumpster, but the hider has found the perfect spot for their homemade camouflage. And often, when its a 35mm film can under a lamppost skirt with a soggy log, I am just happy that I could find a cache to grab while I was doing some errands. Then on the weekend I go on a eight mile hike in the mountains.

I've come to realize that trying to decide which reasons for placing a cache are sufficient is like deciding which virtual caches were "Wow".

The day everyone accepts this truth is the day these forums will become much quieter.

I'm not holding my breath.

I felt I had to point out that blaming "bad" caches on cachers not have what you consider a good reason for hiding the cache, is going after caches someone doesn't like not after really bad cache.

That's OK. Your opinion is worth precisely what mine is worth. :wub::lol:

The OP asked for opinions.

Brian posted one.

I agreed with it.

You did not.

Hopefully, we can agree to disagree, at least on this topic. :wub:

Do not hide a cache with an ALR! They are illegal now! ;)

Hi, :laughing: I stumbled onto the forums looking for an answer to an acronym in a log and came across this topic. Having not found the answer I was looking for could you furnish me the the answer to: What is an ALR? As it is now illegal it sounds dangerous and alluring...

Now back to the topic in hand...

My simple thought is "Don't hide where you wouldn't search" for me there are enough people similar to myself who hide caches I like to search for, and there are enough people out there who like hiding caches I'd never even try - but they still hide them, and others find them.

Don't leave the "Yes, this cache is active" box on the submission form when initially entering information into the submission form. Fill out as much as necessary then work on the page listing until it looks good visually, has been spell checked, and all the information in it is accurate.

I'm going to jump on this bandwagon and add nothing says "I don't care about my hide" like a cache page that looks like an AOL chat room log or a series of Twitter tweets. CHECK YOUR SPELLING, use punctuation and correct capitalization. If it looks like you didn't take the time to write out an intelligent description then most people will interpret that as you didn't take the time to place the actual cache well either.

Thank you. I wholeheartedly agree. (I hope I spelled all that correctly, spell check says OK.)

Do not hide a cache with an ALR! They are illegal now! :rolleyes:

Hi, :anicute: I stumbled onto the forums looking for an answer to an acronym in a log and came across this topic. Having not found the answer I was looking for could you furnish me the the answer to: What is an ALR?...

ALR stands for Additional Logging Requirement. It is basically when a cache owner makes it a requirement for the finder to do some extraneous task in order to be allowed to log a find, such as submitting a picture wearing a hat from the cache. With the new guideline, this can no longer be a requirement, although the cache owner can still make a request that this action be taken. He/she cannot delete the find log if the cache seeker chooses not to fulfill this request, however.

Do not hide a cache with an ALR! They are illegal now! :anicute:

Hi, :laughing: I stumbled onto the forums looking for an answer to an acronym in a log and came across this topic. Having not found the answer I was looking for could you furnish me the the answer to: What is an ALR?...

ALR stands for Additional Logging Requirement. It is basically when a cache owner makes it a requirement for the finder to do some extraneous task in order to be allowed to log a find, such as submitting a picture wearing a hat from the cache. With the new guideline, this can no longer be a requirement, although the cache owner can still make a request that this action be taken. He/she cannot delete the find log if the cache seeker chooses not to fulfill this request, however.

Excellently put. However, I would have preferred to pretend I hadn't heard about that and tried in vain anyway, just to see if I could have some small exception made pbasically because of the fact that everyone is still hearing about this and getting used to the fact. I however, don't have to do much maitenence on mine because I really don't have much in the way of ALR's. However, what I do have, I believe is fully or almost fully legitimate. Take a look at my caches I have and you will see what I mean, hopefully. Thanks for the info though. Although I hope that some more of the more fun and good ones can still sneak through while everything is still becoming fixed and organized. Thanks, and have a great day. gwf :laughing::rolleyes::lol:

allways put the log in a ziplock!

Although many agree, I don't. If you don't know what containers are waterproof at the start and hold up in the long run, then yes, a ziploc can help, if the cache is large enough and you use a freezer bag. I see no point in an internal bag in an ammo can or a waterproof matchbox. A thin sandwich bag will average two holes for each time it's removed from the cache and replaced -- about as good as a sieve. And if the cache isn't large enough to put the bag in without crumpling it, then it will be destroyed by the first finder.

my first hide went well even though i only had 1 find.

Proving my point, AFAICT, which was that you should find at least one. Not quote sure what your point is.

Edward

Several years ago I drafted up a cache page entitled "The Pocket Knife, Ammunition & Fireworks Exchange" but, knowing Groundspeak would probably frown on the idea, I never dared submit it.

Looking for a place to trade your sharp objects and incendiary devices? Here ya go!

In addition to being stocked with the above items, there is a delectable selection of food items, expired pharmaceuticals, and political/religious pamphlets.

To access the cache, park by the railroad tracks. The cache is about 50 feet from the police station, just past the "No Trespassing" signs. It's hidden under a pile of rocks in the middle of the railroad tracks. We recommend early mornings and mid-afternoons, as there is a lot of traffic from the elementary school right next door to the cache.

You forgot the bio-hazzard label... :rolleyes::anicute:

Although many agree, I don't. If you don't know what containers are waterproof at the start and hold up in the long run, then yes, a ziploc can help, if the cache is large enough and you use a freezer bag. I see no point in an internal bag in an ammo can or a waterproof matchbox. A thin sandwich bag will average two holes for each time it's removed from the cache and replaced -- about as good as a sieve. And if the cache isn't large enough to put the bag in without crumpling it, then it will be destroyed by the first finder.

I agree. I've seen caches, including ammo boxes, where the Ziploc was caught in the seal and cause the container to leak If you have a quality container don't worry so much about the Ziploc.

I agree. I've seen caches, including ammo boxes, where the Ziploc was caught in the seal and cause the container to leak If you have a quality container don't worry so much about the Ziploc.

I always recommend a ziplock for caches, no matter how good the container is. I don't recommend sandwich bags or freezer bags as they are designed for single use anyway (too thin). I've had good luck with zip bags from Michael's (craft store) that are thicker (designed to hold piece parts like beads or sequins for crafts). And they are much smaller so you don't run into the zip bag taking up 90% of a micro/small cache's capacity.

Edited by Cache O'Plenty
I've seen caches, including ammo boxes, where the Ziploc was caught in the seal and cause the container to leak If you have a quality container don't worry so much about the Ziploc.
I always recommend a ziplock for caches, no matter how good the container is. I don't recommend sandwich bags or freezer bags as they are designed for single use anyway (too thin). I've had good luck with zip bags from Michael's (craft store) that are thicker (designed to hold piece parts like beads or sequins for crafts).
I've got to agree with briansnat on this one. It doesn't matter whether it's a cheap sandwich bag or a nice heavy-duty bag. If the bag is caught in the container seal, then water will wick into the container via the bag, even with otherwise waterproof containers. The bag may even remain undamaged and its contents dry, but the rest of the container's contents will be wet.

my latest pet pieve:

people who list many caches with the same name close together, like near my house there is "Sammy the dog" and "Sammy the dog 2" within a block of one another.

So we are out caching and he says, "What cache have you got next?"

My GPS says, Sam so I say, "sammy the dog". But thats in the next block he says. No, thats' the other sammy cache. So what's this one? he says, Sammy the dog I say, and it goes on from there.

Can we be a bit more creative than that please? Save the confusion!!

Quote From KBI:

A point of clarification please, Headhardhat:

Are you asking for a list of cache hiding methods that cause practical problems, or are you asking your fellow cachers about their individual aesthetic cache-finding preferences?

There is a big difference. I think most folks will agree that leaky containers, inaccurate coordinates and food-as-trade-items are all mistakes that are likely to cause grief. On the other hand, there is a wide and deep variety of perfectly acceptable aesthetic choices. I, for example, prefer not to hunt underwater caches. I do NOT, however, resent the mere existence of caches hidden underwater; I simply skip over them, no matter how skillfully they may be constructed.

Practicality and personal aesthetics are two completely different considerations.

Crumbling container: bad.

Parking lot micro: good. (for many, if not everyone.)

Please clarify which one you are asking about -- and please keep this distinction in mind as you consider some of the examples that have been presented so far.

You bring up a very good point and we have been getting examples for both. In fact are making several GeoSnippits episodes based on all these suggestins coming from this thread. Wanna thank everybody for all the input.. We are having a ball putting these together.

-HHH :)

Edited by Headhardhat

<snip>_______________________________________________________________________

You bring up a very good point and we have been getting examples for both. In fact are making several GeoSnippits episodes based on all these suggestins coming from this thread. Wanna thank everybody for all the input.. We are having a ball putting these together.

-HHH :huh:

You’re the devil. <_< Feeding on adversity! :)