Delorme questions

I have a Mac computer and also purchased a Delorme PN-40. I cannot get the Delorme software to load on my Mac and want to know is there any software available for Mac's that will work with the PN-40. If not, dows anyone know of the best unit that has Mac software and is equivalent to the PN-40. I believe that I can swend it back for a refund if necessary.

I have a Mac computer and also purchased a Delorme PN-40. I cannot get the Delorme software to load on my Mac and want to know is there any software available for Mac's that will work with the PN-40. If not, dows anyone know of the best unit that has Mac software and is equivalent to the PN-40. I believe that I can swend it back for a refund if necessary.

Per the Delorme Website

Topo USA 7.0 System Requirements

Operating Systems

* » Microsoft Windows Vista® Home/Basic/Home Premium/Ultimate/Business with 512 MB RAM

* » U.S. Version Microsoft Windows XP or 2000 (Service Pack 3 and higher): 128 MB RAM (256 MB recommended)

Unless you're running Windows you can't run the Topo software from Delorme. I've been waiting for Delorme to come out with software that runs on a Mac for years now. :blink:

The Topo 7.0 software will only run in the Windows environment. You can use Data.delorme.com to send the imagery over from the Mac to the PN40 device and use the Send to GPS function of GC.com to send over the caches. The 3 regional DVD can be used to send over the prebuilt topo maps.

There are three additional DVDs along w/the Topo 7 USA application DVD.

Each presents data for a region of the USA, West, Central, & East.

Choose the DVD(s) with the states you're interested in and place in drive.

When the DVD(s) show in Finder open and find a folder labeled "Maps".

select the region(s) of the state(s) and load the enclosed files(Pm0, & Ybr) into a folder

(you may have to create)"Maps" either on the device or on the SDHC card.

When you connect the 'device' to your mac a screen on the device will give

choices for what you want to do, choose Map Transfer, that will get you going

until you either buy an emulation application, and a copy of Bill's finest (Windows)

or DeLorme completes their initiative towards cross platform connect-ability.

So far "Send to GPS" is up and running via 2.5b3 firmware (on device), and

a download from GeoCaching.com for Safari, and FireFox.

Soon(?) to be released "CacheRegister" will allow 'PQs to be transfered 'to device'

beyond 'Send to GPS's one at a time method. There's also a workaround that

works for GSAK via Firefox teamed w/ 'Send to GPS' but that's not presently workable

w/out an emulator, as GSAK doesn't seem interested in being of service to Mac users.

Hopefully some ice will break soon when the exodus is recognized.

Topo USA 8 is glowing the horizon, but it isn't immediately planned to have Mac support,

we can hope (at least for some given time period), as there's a strong(?) contingent of

Mac users within DeLorme proper.

http://forum.delorme.com/

http://delormepn40.wikispaces.com/

Norm

Edited by RRLover
does anyone know of the best unit that has Mac software and is equivalent to the PN-40. I believe that I can send it back for a refund if necessary.

Garmin supports Mac. The closest Garmin equivalent to the PN-40 would be a 60CSX or an eTrex Vista HCx. Edited by lee_rimar
...we can hope ... as there's a strong(?) contingent of Mac users within DeLorme proper.
If there's any contingent of Mac users at DeLorme, they've been locked out of development and marketing teams.

DeLorme is just barely at the point of figuring out how to make installer programs copy files to the mass-storage device. They send their "Mac" beta testers copies of Topo 7 for Windows to let them "familiarize themselves" with the product.

No sensible person would list Mac support (existing or hoped for) as a DeLorme selling point.

Edited by lee_rimar

It would seem different people have had different discussions with varying numbers of people, within and

without the halls of D. Different perceptions regarding timelines and levels of commitment towards reaching

intended goals, seem the result. By appearance it might seem that a full and total commitment towards

cross-platform compatibility hasn't been embraced throughout the ship. Or perhaps some of the learning

curves have been steeper than expected (hmmm, maybe we shouldn't go there). I think it's a case of using

resources to best advantage, for the present economy, and immediate market, with the frivolity(I personally

don't like this term, but considering the pugnacious attitude directed toward Macintosh by some of the

Windows users, it just could apply) of us Mac users taking a backseat 'till there's more room in the front.

That's just an opinion, nothing more, nothing less.

Not thinking the glass half empty, or half full, it (the glass) just might be too big right now, I hope not

forever! Although I've growing impatience, I was thoughtfully "never promised a rose garden", at least not

overnight anyway.

Norm

Intentions, plans, what someone might have heard, or what you hoped for don't amount to a cup of warm spit.

The short version: Topo 7 doesn't, and Topo 8 won't run on the Mac. Outside of using Topo 7, there is only limited ability to copy one kind of data (geocaches) TO the PN-40. Outside of using Topo 7, there is NO way to read data (waypoints and tracks) FROM the PN-40 back on to your computer.

Evangelists and apologists might see it differently, but until I can get my own data out of the thing, it's not very useful.

Intentions, plans, what someone might have heard, or what you hoped for don't amount to a cup of warm spit.

The short version: Topo 7 doesn't, and Topo 8 won't run on the Mac. Outside of using Topo 7, there is only limited ability to copy one kind of data (geocaches) TO the PN-40. Outside of using Topo 7, there is NO way to read data (waypoints and tracks) FROM the PN-40 back on to your computer.

Evangelists and apologists might see it differently, but until I can get my own data out of the thing, it's not very useful....FOR ME.

If you can't touch it, see it and use it now, you don't believe in it? I guess that makes sense, I can see how you'd feel like this! I can also see how many would have revolted againts electricity way back when, where some thought Edison was nuts and where Ford must have looked foolish...good thing some had the vision to make change and even more had the faith to believe in them!

Of course, if you can't wait for a few months or so for change, well, there's other choices, so the impatient and non-believers need not apply lol! FWIW, I don't see anyone saying that Mac support IS a selling point. In fact, until you said it, I have never seen it said at all! Fortunately, for Mac users, there has been talk of fixing the problem!

I would add one more tidbit here...remember that not everyone is looking for or needs everything someone else might! I, for example, don't much care about uploading tracks to my computer. I could care less about geotagging. I don't care if there are maps out there that make the maps available to DeLorme look bad, I am happy with the maps I can use for NO effort, I am THRILLED with the routing ability of the PN-40...and I could go on. You see, some of us aren't exactly map experts, some aren't depending on our units to save our lives, some of us have never had routing and are amazed at how well the unit works. I don't mind doing a bit of work to get the AWESOME aerials, especially those of us who wouldn't have a clue how to (or the desire to) pirate others' maps! Some of us are even THRILLED with the paperless feature as it is and last, some of us are happy to believe DeLorme will do as it promises!! Since we're not talking an expenditure as big as a house or car, even if DeLorme folds, it's not the end of the world for most of us, we're not going to end up destitute! :o

I, ummmm....fixed your comment for you!

Edited by Rockin Roddy
Unnecessary and unwelcome, please don't do that again. It was a first-person comment and you did not need to quote it, much less add words to it.

I would also ask you to either stay on topic or stay silent. This discussion is about non-existent Mac support and the inability to retrieve data from the GPS without using Topo 7 or the yet to be released Topo 8 (which DeLorme has already indicated would not have cross-platform support).

Comments about how this may have affected you personally, or insights on how to work around it would be welcome. Absent that, just sticking your head in to tell others how much you love everything ELSE about DeLorme, and/or your opinion about feature(s) you don't personally use or need is not helpful to me -- or anyone else interested in the original topic.

This post has already been extensively and carefully edited, you do not need to"fix it" for me. But please do report it to the moderator if you find it at all offensive.

Edited by lee_rimar
Unnecessary and unwelcome, please do not do that again. It was a first-person comment and you should not have even bothered to quote it, much less add words to it.

I would also ask you to either stay on topic or stay silent. This discussion is about non-existent Mac support and the inability to retrieve data from the GPS without using Topo 7 or the yet to be released Topo 8 (which DeLorme has already indicated would not have cross-platform support).

Comments about how this may have affected you personally, or insights on how to work around it would be welcome. Absent that, just sticking your head in to tell others your opinion about feature(s) you don't personally use or need is not helpful to me or anyone else reading this.

This post has already been extensively and carefully edited, you do not need to"fix it" for me. But please do report it to the moderator if you find it at all offensive.

Oh, I'm sorry. I'll just allow you to tell others that you don't believe the word of those working on mac support. That is what you're saying, right? I also believe I WAS on topic, since the OP asked about support for mac and I commented as to that. If you'll note, I am saying that I BELIEVE that Delorme is working on the problem (something I think you're stating you have either no faith in or no patience to wait for unless I'm reading your comments wrong). Of course, you guys do tend to be tralking in riddle (to me at least) so maybe I'm not quite understanding your last few comments?

By my, we do get uppidy when someone corrects you, don't we?? Oh well, if I offend, please follow your own advice and hit that report...k? :o

People need to chill about GPS units and be a tad less defensive.

In answer to the original question with facts:

No, no native Mac-software from delorme.

Garmin just released the Mac version of their new Basecamp software today, a day after the PC version. Superb track logging and geotagging, plus route planning in 3D.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...p;#entry3884425

Their older 2D mapping program Mapsource also has a Mac version. Not as mature as delormes Topo7, but in the same vein.

Oh here's the Garmin Mac OSX page:

http://www8.garmin.com/macosx/

Equivalent Garmin units: Actually a little hard to answer. For sheer GPS function and a stabler platform, a 60CSX / 76CSX / Etrex Vista HCX. For a similarly immature product which has the same advanced paperless geocaching functions, a Colorado or Oregon, which are a little dumbed down GPS-function wise (but same accuracy etc as PN-40).

Edited by Maingray

Garmin just released the Mac version of their new Basecamp software today, a day after the PC version. Superb track logging and geotagging, plus route planning in 3D.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...p;#entry3884425

Their older 2D mapping program Mapsource also has a Mac version. Not as mature as delormes Topo7, but in the same vein.

Oh here's the Garmin Mac OSX page:

http://www8.garmin.com/macosx/

Equivalent Garmin units: Actually a little hard to answer. For sheer GPS function and a stabler platform, a 60CSX / 76CSX / Etrex Vista HCX. For a similarly immature product which has the same advanced paperless geocaching functions, a Colorado or Oregon, which are a little dumbed down GPS-function wise (but same accuracy etc as PN-40).

I hope I'm not offending by quoting here, but I have to agree, it would be hard to say which is closest to the PN-40. I have noted many relate it's function and form to the 60CSx, but the PN-40 does a lot more than the 60CSx (and vice versa, but the 60 has features a geocacher would usually have little use for). I've heard good word about the Clorado and Oregon's paperless features, but I'm not an owner of either, so I trust those with more knowledge will jump in! :o

Depends on your definition of various words in that statement.

The Send to GPS plugin runs natively on MacOS. The Send to GPS plugin is a piece of software, and it was written by employees of DeLorme. Therefore, the statement that "there is no native Mac software from DeLorme" is false.

the statement that "there is no native Mac software from DeLorme" is false.
Yes. The ability to send geocaches to the GPS is there. The ability to install maps and imagery is there. But...

In this DeLorme forum post, Caleb Mason glibly remarked that "...many users don't care about Topo..." and "... the only thing the Mac customer is not getting from us now is the full Topo USA software functionality..."

The "only" things we're not getting are:

1) sending any kind of data other than geocaches to the GPS (normal waypoints, routes, drawing objects) and

2) transferring any kind of data BACK from the GPS to the computer (recorded tracks and waypoints).

Those are some pretty serious drawbacks for a "serious tool."

Edited by lee_rimar
...you don't believe the word of those working on mac support. That is what you're saying, right?
No, Roddy.

What DeLorme has said (in the voices of Chip Noble and Caleb Mason) is that they have the ability to transfer maps, images and geocaches to the Mac -- but that other support is not forthcoming. Caleb said many people in the company would LIKE to add more Mac support but won't do so any time soon -- instead focusing on online tools instead of desktop apps.

Source: http://forum.delorme.com/viewtopic.php?p=111150#111150

Edited by lee_rimar
Yes. The ability to send geocaches to the GPS is there. The ability to install maps and imagery is there. But...

In this DeLorme forum post, Caleb Mason glibly remarked that "...many users don't care about Topo..." and "... the only thing the Mac customer is not getting from us now is the full Topo USA software functionality..."

1) sending any kind of data other than geocaches to the GPS (normal waypoints, routes, drawing objects) and

2) transferring any kind of data BACK from the GPS to the computer (recorded tracks and waypoints).

Just curious... you are always on here ranting about the drawbacks of the DeLorme... Do you own one or have you ever used one? The reason I ask: there is no comparison between it and either the 60csx or the Vista Hcx. It far exceeds the capabilities of both. I love and own the Colorado and the PN-40, and have used every Garmin since the eTrex in the field. The PN-40 out of the box is comparable to both the Colorado and the Oregon, with fewer software hangups. I cache with friends that own the Vista Hcx, the 60Csx, the CO and the OR, and ALL of them trust the integrity of my arrow and distance from cache at GZ, no exceptions. While they are playing the compass bounce, I am zeroing in on the cache. I don't understand your disdain for the DeLorme units, but then again, I don't understand why Mac people hate PCs either.

Just curious... you are always on here ranting about the drawbacks of the DeLorme... Do you own one or have you ever used one?
Actually, I've also said some positive things about the PN-40. Under ideal conditions, it can be extremely accurate. And its paperless cachng feature is neat (though it could be better). And it's orange, which is good unless you don't like orange.

To answer your original question: I do currently own a PN-40. I've mentioned this elsewhere in these forums -- I own, have owned, and regularly use a wide variety of GPS models (Magellan, Garmin, Lowrance, DeLorme, Trimble, iPhone, Blackberry, and others). I've also been a beta tester for some of the products discussed here, though standard NDAs prevents me from giving details.

I don't understand your disdain for the DeLorme units, but then again, I don't understand why Mac people hate PCs...
I work as a PC tech during the day and use a Mac at home; so I wouldn't fall into that stereotype either.

I call 'em like I see 'em -- I don't think acknowledging both the flaws and virtues of the unit qualifies as ranting or disdain. All I can say is my impression of the PN-40 is different from yours. Though it can be very accurate (and orange), I find the hardware and available software lacking in several important ways that I've outlined here and elsewhere.

At the risk of taking this further off topic, let me turn the question around to you: Do you use your GPS for anything OTHER than caching? DeLorme is clearly playing to the GC audience with the PN-40. In my opinion that's at the expenses of making it a "serious tool" for anything else -- but if most of your GPS use is caching related, you could be really happy with it.

Edited by lee_rimar

Moderator's note Once again, I have to ask that we stay on topic with factual discussion. Less emotionally charged wordsmithing makes the forums more useful to those seeking tech information. As a reminder, the problem posed was

I cannot get the Delorme software to load on my Mac and want to know is there any software available for Mac's that will work with the PN-40. If not, dows anyone know of the best unit that has Mac software and is equivalent to the PN-40.

If you can help the OP get the Delorme software to load on his Mac, can offer "software available for a Mac that will work with a PN-40", or can recommend a unit that "has Mac software and is equivalent", your post has an excellent chance of being on topic and helpful to the OP.

Robert: Thanks for the reminder.

When you get right down to it, the question has been asked and answered -

DeLorme software for the Mac?

Very limited. Pointers to DeLorme's own words on the subject... http://forum.delorme.com/viewtopic.php?p=111150#111150

Alternative/comparable units that do offer Mac software support?

Garmin in almost any current incarnation. 60csx and eTrex Vista HCx are good comparable units, in spite of not being orange.

-Lee

Edited by lee_rimar

I agree, these are drawbacks for the more ADVANCED users. I personally am not concerned about sending info back to my computer, and that's where my comments aim, I don't think the majority of casual users are either (my opinion and I could be wrong). I also don't care to send tracks to my GPS, and again, I doubt the casual user is either. What you are talking about is a more advanced use, something I don't think the majority is looking for (especially the first time users and us casual users). Many asking questions are asking about geocaching functions, I believe.

I believe this to be on-topic since the OP asked about mac and the PN-40. I don't know if the OP knows the mapping software is not needed in order to use the PN-40 or not, so I am merely pointing out what can and cannot be used in mac. If not, I apologize in advance. While this isn't helping the OP get mac support, it is telling the OP (and others who might be reading) that lacking complete support for mac isn't the end-all for this unit! And, while I do read that mac support isn't on the front burner, I don't see where they say they'll never work on it!

As for equivalent models, not the 60CSx, definitely not the Vista or other lower models...as someone else has said, more like the OR or the CO since it does much of what these both do (caching wise). While the 60 and Vista are mac friendly (I think), they don't easily do paperless, they don't route (out of the box that is). So, your only true comparable units would have to be the CO and OR (which also do not route out of the box, but are the most comparable...for caching). I hope this is helpful!! :unsure:

A question for the OP...one can only speculate as to why you asked the questions you asked. My guess is that you find yourself unable to use the PN-40 as you had hoped and were wondering if there's a way it would be functional...and my comments are based on this. My apologies if this isn't the case, but to better get the answers you want, what will you primarily use the GPS for??

If for causal use to find caches and enjoy geocaching, I stand by my comments, you can get good functionality from the PN-40. If it's for more advanced uses like importing/exporting tracks and such, then no, it's not going to make you happy! Mac support could come in the future, but it isn't a priority for DeLorme at this time.

I just want to clarify my quote on d.com a bit for those reading within this forum and not visiting my full post. I cannot give away company secrets when I post but if you read my full post carefully (and not as simply excerpted here) you will see I am hinting at the Web for these missing capabilities in the future as a better cross-platform experience than desktop software. -- Caleb

Thanks for the post Caleb!

Sounds like it goes back to what are you primarily going to use the GPS for and can you handle using it with it's somewhat limited abilities until changes come about or not!

How long have you owned it...you might still have time to try it out a bit before having to decide!! You have a 30 day return policy if you bought it from a reputable dealer!!

Good luck and happy caching!

Yesterday, Firefox started reporting the site with the script to allow for uploading a GPX file with Send to GPS as a "Reported Attack Site". Been afraid to use the script because of that. Does anyone know what is up with that??

The information reported by Google leads me to believe it's misreported or entered in their database incorrectly.