Great Cache Ideas Gone South

A while back I found a near Ghost town, the population has dipped under 20. There was a century old small bank on the corner that still had a vault in it. There were no doors or windows and the best thing, it was owned by the "City" and not a single no trespassing sign. What a great place for a cache! I got my hands on a drive thought tube from a bank (legally, it was damaged) and rigged up a watertight housing for it. This afternoon I drove the 20 miles to place the cache. The city has sold the property to an individual and now there are No Tresspassing signs on the building. I am bummed! I will try to track down the owner and place my cache, this location is too good to let go.

Edited by GumshoeTully

Prior to hiding my first legit cache, (and reading the guidelines), I had what I thought was a kewl idea:

There's a railroad track near me that crosses the St John's River prior to ending up at a power plant. Where it crosses the river, it's a draw bridge. It's kept in the up position until a load of coal shows up, then it's lowered long enough for the train to cross. When it's down, the underside of the bridge is about 4' above the water level. This happens once or twice a day. I thought it would be neat to slap a magnetized ammo can to the bottom of the bridge, only accessible when the bridge was down.

Obviously, this wouldn't pass muster.

I am a fan of the TV show "24." A couple of seasons back, the hero obtained the coordinates of the villains hide-out. They were only a couple of miles from me ... albeit in a rather questionable part of town. So, I hid a puzzle cache there. To solve it, one simply needed to get the coords from the show.

There were only two problems: (1) I heard the coords differently than anyone else, so my cache was not where anyone else was looking, (2) only someone as tough and well armed as Jack Bauer could safely make the find.

I archived it without anyone ever having found it.

The idea lasted more than a year, so I suppose it wasn't a complete loss, but I hid a puzzle cache based on the ability to call a payphone.

Do you know how hard it is to find a working payphone nowadays?

The original payphone I used was removed, so I moved it. That one was removed, too. So I moved it again. Once more, that phone was moved. After three or four attempts, I finally gave in. It seemed like every couple of months, I was having to search out a new phone, seemingly every other finder.

It was a popular cache for what it was, but the maintenence was a killer.

Jamie

I am a fan of the TV show "24." A couple of seasons back, the hero obtained the coordinates of the villains hide-out. They were only a couple of miles from me ... albeit in a rather questionable part of town. So, I hid a puzzle cache there. To solve it, one simply needed to get the coords from the show.

There were only two problems: (1) I heard the coords differently than anyone else, so my cache was not where anyone else was looking, (2) only someone as tough and well armed as Jack Bauer could safely make the find.

I archived it without anyone ever having found it.

I often wondered about coordinates given out on TV's shows. Turns out they appear to be like phone numbers where they area always 555.

On Monday night's episode of "24", they called an FBI strike on a base in Virginia. However, the coordinates they gave out mapped to water near the San Diego naval base.