Posting Photos: Etiquette

Steve&GeoCarolyn

We just started geocaching and I've been taking photos and posting them in my logs. But I'm worried that some of them might be spoilers and I don't want to ruin anyone's fun. I'm not taking any pictures of caches in their hiding places, but some of my photos would make it easier for someone to find the cache and some cache containers are distinctive. Is it ok to post spoiler photos? Should I clearly label a photo that I think might be a spoiler as such? Or do I even need to label them since there is a warning that spoilers might be in the logs?

Also, are there any other bits of geochaching photography etiquette I should know? Is there any sort of preference that cache owners have when people are photographing cache locations? I checked around the forum and the Geocaching.com resources and didn't find anything. So if you have advice or a pointer to a website, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Carolyn

We just started geocaching and I've been taking photos and posting them in my logs. But I'm worried that some of them might be spoilers and I don't want to ruin anyone's fun. I'm not taking any pictures of caches in their hiding places, but some of my photos would make it easier for someone to find the cache and some cache containers are distinctive. Is it ok to post spoiler photos? Should I clearly label a photo that I think might be a spoiler as such? Or do I even need to label them since there is a warning that spoilers might be in the logs?

Also, are there any other bits of geochaching photography etiquette I should know? Is there any sort of preference that cache owners have when people are photographing cache locations? I checked around the forum and the Geocaching.com resources and didn't find anything. So if you have advice or a pointer to a website, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Carolyn

Most cache owners would not be happy with spoiler pictures. If you post group pictures in the area of the cache that is fine, if you post pictures of wildlife or scenery in the area of the cache that is fine. If you post pictures of folks signing the log and the cache is a normal cache (ammo can, tupperware, etc) as long as it does not show the hiding place that is fine. Mostly pictures of the hiding place and pictures of unique containers are not appreciated, but other than that most are fine.

Jim

I'd say there are a few key rules. Don't post photos of the cache in its hiding place. Don't post photos of the cache if it's a uniquely camoflaged cache. By that I mean something like a fake sprinkler head, hollow rock, fake pine cone. Anything that will give the cache away should not be posted.

If it's an ordinary cache container most owners don't mind you posting a photo of it as long as you move away from the hiding spot so nothing in the background gives away the hide.

Other than that, post away. If an owner objects he will just ask you to delete it. No big deal. I have over 1,300 photos in my gallery and never had a cache owner object to one.

Edited by briansnat

Thank you all for the information! I appreciate it.

I haven't come across anything as unique as a fake sprinkler head, hollow rock, fake pine cones, etc. But the size and shape of one of the caches we found this weekend would clearly indicate that it could only be hidden one place in the vicinity (I didn't post a photo of it). Another cache was hidden in a feature of the landscape that is kind of big and obvious when you connect it with the name of the cache. (Though finding the micro within it was a bit tricky.) Another one today has a description that reads, "You are looking for the large bald cypress tree" and when one arrives, it is at a flat field with one large bald cypress tree in the middle and a few smaller ones clustering near the large one. It was pretty obvious from the text where to go. So given that, how does one take photos that give nothing away?

These are the caches that started me thinking about this as a problem. Most of the places we've gone have been indistinguishable. One tree looks much like another tree. Nearby tulips or flowering trees are not unique. Ducks, dogs, and other living creatures can be relied upon to be gone by the time the next geocacher arrives. Vast swaths of landscape caught in pictures usually don't reveal anything special. It's when the landscape is unique and mentioned in the text that I worry.

Thank you for mentioning your photos, Briansnat. I looked in your gallery and I see that you have dealt with a similar situation by posting the picture in this one: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...f1-23d9d79317bd That's one of the situations that caused me to wonder whether it is ok to post a photo.

Carolyn

Edited by GeoCarolyn

Just err on the side of caution and you'll be fine. If you think the photo will give away the hide, don't post it.

But for things like ammo boxes, Lock n Locks, Tupperware, film canisters, etc. usually if you've seen one, you've seen them all so photographing one is no big deal (well to most cache owners. I've heard of a few who object but I've never encountered one).

I know that as a cache owner I love seeing photos in logs and some of my favorites are the photos of the happy hunters gathered around the cache.