You would think an Event is a good place to drop one...

Flatouts

This is truly sad... Don't read it if you don't like downers...

Attending events is something we enjoy. The people we meet are great.. The events are always fun. So it's really hard to grasp what I have to say.

I've noticed the lack of responsibility for other peoples belongings has been increasing where Geocoins and trackables are concerned. Now you could probably leave your GPSr and wallet out on the table while milling about at the event and it will be right where you left it. I have no doubt as I've done just that several times.

I place my collection on the table and never ever give it a thought that a coin might go missing and so far that has been true.

However, I'm finding that more and more people have a complete disregard for the trackables placed on the table(s) for pickup. They get picked up but never logged. I noticed that an attempt to make them signed in and out caused less to be picked up at all...

I know trackables take their chances in the wild but felt that with an event this would be safe... After being frustrated with the results of the outcome of an event I attended just before Christmas I posted a note on the cache page and wanted to share it. The purpose is to perhaps refine it... Come up with something that could be passed out at events to help encourage folks to keep better track of these trackables. See what you think and provide constructive criticism or share ideas. We really need to get a handle on this situation.

Cache Logs

February 13 by sssss (1238 found)my geocoin seems to have gone missing from this event (sssss's Morristown Benchmark Micro Geocoin), please can you all check your bags and pockets and if discovered put it back out to continue its journey, it would be a shame to have it stop so soon after release. thanks[view this log]

January 22 by Flatouts (508 found)Still a lot of Tbs and Coins that haven't been picked up...Folks that own these are surely concerned as to their whereabouts...Perhaps the only way would be mass email asking folks to log any TBs or Coins they picked up from the event... As the notes apparently have fallen on deaf ears.

I'm not the Travel Bug watch Dog but I dropped a few that nobody has logged and I can't sleep thinking perhaps they are still laying on the table??? A feeling of responsibility, a concern that perhaps trading TBs at an event (which used to be a sure bet of moving stale TBs or ones that have destinies that were better served by those going in that direction) is no longer an inviolable passage, perhaps second thoughts will arise next time... After all I do need my sleep.

This may seem harsh, it's not! I've lost coins to events in the past. My own coins that had specific missions some were of special significants to me. If there is one thing I can't deal with very well and that is irresponsibility where it involves someones property that has been entrusted upon the individual whom makes the conscious decision to pick up the TB (personal property of another cacher) and then falls short of fulfilling said responsibility. Perhaps every Meet & Greet should start with an explanation of what a TB is, the many types (ie Coins, Tags, Gems, figurines, whatever else they may think of). How they work and ones responsibility to keep them safe and log their progress. I volunteer to do this at any meeting I attend! Just so I'm not laying the responsibility on anyone else. If there should be others that share the same feeling and would like to address it, far be it from me to stand in your way.

Sorry I think this should be Every Responsible Cachers Pet Peeve!

These items belong to somebody who has entrusted the caching community to properly treat the item as if it were their own. More and more I see these items being mistreated because folks are not aware of the responsibility that they are undertaking. This has caused us to collect our coins rather than entrust the Geocaching community with them. It's sad, but all to true. We've lost a few and when some cost $12 - $20 it just stinks! TBs aren't cheep either - you consider the tag, shipping, the item it may be attached (usually of more personal value than monetary) and the time and thought some put into them, it's a let down when a cache is raided and it's lost forever but even worse when folks in the caching community just simply don't care enough to log them!

I'm not big on ranting, I hope all my fellow Cachers can see where this effects all of us in the caching community and understand that I mean no personal attack nor assume that others don't care just as much as we do. I do think I've provided a means that could help in the future and perhaps over time might help all that would like to see the TB function of this great sport work like it should. We may not be able to change the world but perhaps by word of mouth and setting a good example we can start something in that direction... After all isn't this the Year(s) of Change...

To anyone who reads this feel free to use it anyway you think might further it's cause.It's all about the Journey - dead ends kill that journey!

Cache On!

I never lay coins on the table at events.

If I have travelers to continue their journey, I give them directly to other cachers. Then I know, who to pester to log the coin out of the event...

As to my own collection, I only take 5 to 10 coins along on events. They are placed in front of other cachers, while they look at them and write down the numbers I chatt with them, then I take the coins back and go to the next table. Or chatt a bit longer. But I never leave the coins unattended.

Why only a few? I just get to many emails... :mellow:

I haven't had any problems with my collection or other articles I've left unattended. In fact at this very event I left my Collection and my lap top (folks viewing pictures of some adventures) one of our GPS units while doing the event cache and some others in the park. Didn't even think about it.

You see I'm not saying the problem is dishonesty by no means. We have a great group of folks in SCGA, perhaps it's different in other places. I hope not at least I'd like to think not, but we are dealing with human nature here and opportunities that perhaps might present themselves but so far I've only met truly honest people in Geocaching.

The problem is either folks forget or misplace TBs. If you forget to log it out of the event then drop it in a cache several miles from the car, are you going back for the number? Sure we all write them down or try to do our absolute best to remember but it happens to all of us at some point we goof up. I've been lucky so far and although I may hang onto some longer than I should, I do try to make sure I leave them in a safe place.

I see it as several problems. Some folks are new and just don't know about the TBs and what to do with them. Some know, have good intentions and they slip down in a nook or cranny of their Geobag and are forgotten. Some folks get into it for a while and then drop off - keeping the TBs or discard them. Maybe they moved and they got lost.. Surely there are as many reasons as there are TBs.

I'm not whining here. Really I'm looking to find some methods of resolving at least the Event issue - there is no reason why adults that know how it is suppose to work can't handle a smooth transfer using an event table - it should be the safest transfer of mass travelers. In that ones you personally can't get the destination fulfilled and someone else can. It should be much better than leaving it up to chance that the next couple cacher can help it any better than you. Don't get me wrong I prefer to leave them in caches and only the ones that need to get someplace that I'm not likely to help are placed at the table.

One point that has come out already is the TB tables are earning a bad reputation - I've seen TBs that specify not to be transfered at events... That is really sad. I look at events as a positive way to communicate with other Cachers in the Geocommunity and many times guests are from another country which broadens the horizon for some of the TBs and like wise for their travelers.

Sheezz, no wonder it's so hard to get pictures to go along with the adventures our travelers go on... Can't even get them logged and when you do see them logged you're so happy it's still going the pictures become insufficient... If folks are going to play, if they are going to take the TB then they should follow through with the commitment. It's really not that hard.

I used to leave the bugs I picked up at the various tables at events. Then I attended a summertime event and two longtime cachers picked up two of them. I only found this out because one reappeared 9 months later in a cache one lady had visited. She didn't log it out of the event or into the cache she dropped it into. The next person who grabbed the bug logged it into and out of the cache. The other was grabbed by the lady who took it and didn't log it for over a year.

I'll still take bugs to events, but I had them to somebody I trust. (Obviously not to these two ladies! LOL).

I know that it was attempted to log bugs onto the table and then log them out at one of the more recent events. To create a paper trail to provide temporary tracking...

That went over like a lead balloon... The Cachers that held the event ended up with most of the bugs. It seems most were willing to log them onto the table to get rid of them (that too is sad) but most were reluctant to claim picking them up. Being the great people they are. They fixed up each one and attached directions for their missions and put them each in a brand new heavy duty zip bag, as if custom fitted. Logged them out of the Event into one of their caches then back out and into the next event.

At the next Event we attended there they were 2 shoe boxes of them and there were 1/3 as many at this event as normal. We picked up just about every one. As far as I know they are all accounted for and off traveling. I should mention this was an all day Challenge Event and mostly experienced cachers.

Caching is like Life which was so eloquently put by Forest Gump as box of chocolates and you really never know what you're going to get (unless of course you read the label).

I too have a story of long time cachers that picked up TBs and moved them along logging each one and even posting pictures - but they treated coins as swag and the pretty ones they kept as mementos - I tracked the missing coins to them on 80+ coins, later it turned out to be many many more. I turned the whole mess over to GS. They had somehow totally missed the class on Traveling Trackable Coins. :wacko:

In this sport (some call a game) experience doesn't mean you know everything does it. :mellow:

On the bright side they now know and from my understanding helped to straighten out the mess. The question is how many folks were brought into caching the same way? Scary thought huh. I run into cachers all the time that don't have a full grasp of the concept. Even met one that proudly showed me their collection of coins only they weren't theirs, they thought you could just collect the ones you found / I explained the concept to them and now they purchase the ones for their collection. You know there is no rule that says you can't just collect the ones you find. It is only considerate to abide by the mission requested by the owner - However, by placing them in the wild you can only hope they survive a good while.

All Cachers should make it a point to explain trackables. After all it's another cool aspect of the sport that most find very interesting and fun. The way it's headed right now, there will be a time when we'll tell of stories about how there used to be trackables... I hope that day never comes.

I usually request in the geocoin's mission that it not be dropped off at events or even Hotels. Take the traveller to the event and allow for as many discoveries as needed but at the end of the day I hope the person who took the coin to the ball takes it home again too.... like a date! Drop it off at a cache nearby on the way home if need be just not at the event that won't be there after everyone is gone.

I had a similar experience where I dropped two brand spankin new TBs at an event. One got logged out and into another cache (of all things a Ski-O-Cache with just a couple finds). The other sat around in the Event listing for some time, then finally turned up by another cacher logging it.

Lesson is if they're picked up, they'll be moved. Most likely. Might not be logged, but truth is logging it isn't the goal of TRAVELers. The goal is point A to point B,C,D,E,etc. The logging is just a nice way we can check in on it.

I wonder why logging them in/out would stop them from being picked up. I mean, so many people are standing around writing tracking numbers, why not have a few sheets that have a place to quickly write Cache name and tracking numbers? Really.

I attended and event with a coin I had found for others discovery and handed it to someone and never gave it back I emailed the individual but they said they did not have it perhaps I lost it? Rather than try to figure who at the event had it I just sent the owner a new coin. Things can get confusing at events.

As a result I do not take coins at events neither do I drop them off.

Lesson is if they're picked up, they'll be moved. Most likely. Might not be logged, but truth is logging it isn't the goal of TRAVELers. The goal is point A to point B,C,D,E,etc. The logging is just a nice way we can check in on it.

The point of a traveler is to follow its travels. How can you do that if it isn't logged?

I attended and event with a coin I had found for others discovery and handed it to someone and never gave it back I emailed the individual but they said they did not have it perhaps I lost it? Rather than try to figure who at the event had it I just sent the owner a new coin. Things can get confusing at events.

We're going to host a TB release at our LHD event, but I would rather not see any more than those brought in by their owners. I hate it when someone's TB comes up missing and then get an email asking if I can help? Most likely, I never even had chance to see it since I'm too busy running the event!

The best way to run a TB table is to have someone manning it at all times, handing out tickets to those dropping TBs and having them sign the TB in. When people want a TB, those with tickets can choose first, then anyone else...but ALL must log the TB out of the event (sign the paper). This doesn't mean all TBs will be safe, but it helps...if someone wants to go through all that trouble!

We're going to host a TB release at our LHD event, but I would rather not see any more than those brought in by their owners. I hate it when someone's TB comes up missing and then get an email asking if I can help? Most likely, I never even had chance to see it since I'm too busy running the event!

The best way to run a TB table is to have someone manning it at all times, handing out tickets to those dropping TBs and having them sign the TB in. When people want a TB, those with tickets can choose first, then anyone else...but ALL must log the TB out of the event (sign the paper). This doesn't mean all TBs will be safe, but it helps...if someone wants to go through all that trouble!

Yes that brings up a very good point. The Cache owner is ultimately responsible for the TBs listed on thier Cache page. So not only does it effect the TB Owner it involves the Cache Page Owner / Event Director - this person probably has absolutely no idea or control over the actions of the participants and the TBs they swap.

That is my point. The lack of responsibility by others effects more then just themselves - such as life right!

I know that an attempt to have a person sign in and out (manning to TBs) has been done before. I didn't seem to work. I'm still confused as to why not. But it's a long story.

Education is probably our only plausible solution.

I think we can estimate that at least 90% of the problems are unintentional. From my experience most folks go out of there way to do the right thing with TBs.

Case in point:

A coin was retrieved from a Cache (actually it I think it was an event cache) by a new local Cacher recently in our neck of the woods. This new cacher with 40 or less finds had taken the time to be self educated on all the aspects of the sport. Seeing this coin wanted to travel abroad (England I believe) he went out of his way to see to it that it was placed into a new baggy with a large note enclosed "Wants to visit England" written in Sharpie Black - couldn't miss it. There is a TB Hotel near our International Airport and it usually is the best place for this type of movement and has worked quite well for many years (although it did get muggled once last year).

Sounds like he did his best right...

We the next Cacher to drop by the hotel picks it up and takes it to an event 20+ miles away from any airport and drops it at the event. It's now in a boonies Cache that is hardly visited in the middle of BFE.

This action really disappointed this new Cacher - how could they possibly be that irresponsible with someone else's property. Put a real damper on his outlook. He wanted to contact those involved and give them the riot act. So it was explained that it's a No can do - it has to run it's course and that is just part of it being in the wild.

At least he has the right idea and if there were more like him perhaps threads like this wouldn't exist. So let it be said - if you don't like the way it goes, your best bet is to teach the cachers you bring into the sport the right way, the best you know how. That's the reality!

I'm still wanting ideas to perhaps make up a educational handout for events. One that anyone holding an Event can utilize if the wish... So we'd have to figure out a strategy for making it available once it exist.

Obviously this is something a lot of folks feel the same way about... Don't you think it's about time to do something?

How to save my coin out of this event, or is it just lost.

cga get together oct 2008

Who can help me :o

ornith Would be the Cacher to start with. Email and ask who they gave it to and go from there:

ornith wrote: Stuck it in my pocket and gave it to someone that has Dutch Heritage for them to Log and Move along. I'm sure that it will do well!

Obviously ornith was wrong but must have felt the Cacher it was handed off to was responsible enough to take good care and log it. Looks to be your only option.

Good Luck!

The Cache owner is ultimately responsible for the TBs listed on thier Cache page.

I do not agree at all with this statement. The cache owner isn't responsible for the tbs and coins in his cache other than to make sure they are still there as listed and to contact the tb/coin owner if not. They have no responsiblity to replace the ones that go missing from the cache. The cache owner or event organizer is the logical person to make the first inquiry to try to find it but they aren't responsible to replace it. The person who dropped it off into the cache has done their job also. If the tb/coin goes missing while actually in someone's pssession that is another story.

Events are the worst places to drop coins unless you are physically giving the coin to another attendee to move along. People are notorious for dumping coins virtually into an event (they don't physically have it, lost it or want to keep it), and notorious for not logging coins out of an event that they take. Sometimes it's forgetfulness, but more times than not people just take to keep. :o

How to save my coin out of this event, or is it just lost.

cga get together oct 2008

Who can help me :unsure:

ornith Would be the Cacher to start with. Email and ask who they gave it to and go from there:

ornith wrote: Stuck it in my pocket and gave it to someone that has Dutch Heritage for them to Log and Move along. I'm sure that it will do well!

Obviously ornith was wrong but must have felt the Cacher it was handed off to was responsible enough to take good care and log it. Looks to be your only option.

Good Luck!

Thanks i am going to try but it is months ago, so i am afraid. :)

Events have always been big black holes for Trackables. Pick any archived event, and you are bound to find a list of trackables still on the page, unless the event cache owner marked the leftovers missing. I prefer that my own Trackables don't go to events at all, but we can't always dictate what happens to them. It is up to the people who take them from the event to log them, and the people who bring them to the event to try, at least try, to see what happens to them, and remind the takers to log them whenever possible. It is not necessarily up to the event holder to do anything but mark them missing if they are left listed on the event page. And it's nice if the event holder plans some sort of logging table just for trackables. The best thing to do is not to bring them to events, and for Pete's sake, never just leave it on a table, and never leave your collections unattended. And teach your newbies well. Educate!

Geowoodstock VIII - not wanting to put down what appears to be a great event - however my TB ended up there and 6 months later it is still as being there ??? TBN1J1 for info 'MSM2' is its name.

I noted a log says "There were 7391 trackables that went through the event. With 531 trackables still logged in the event, that's about a normal percentage (7%) to still be logged in at this point, for an event or a cache"

This was 4 months after the event - its 'normal' for TBs to be logged in an event after 4 months - why is that ?, dont the guidelines for moving a TB on after two weeks still apply ?

I can accept a TB being in a cache for an extended period - simply because that cache may not be visited for some time.

Events are different. They end.

I appreciate that an event the size of the one mentioned takes a lot of organising by many people - but surely any TBs that are being dropped (not visitors - TBs/coins being logged through) should be logged at the event (not online) showing who dropped it off and who picks it up so that if there is an issue later on the organiser can point the owner in the direction of the person who picked the TB up

I asked about my TB shown at this event some time ago and some months after it was finished and the reply was a shrugging of the shoulder type response 'I dont know'

It comes as no surprise that a lot of people say on their TB / coin page - 'Not to be taken to an Event'

I wait, but not holding my breath to see if my TB will re-surface

When I take trackables to an event to have them moved I have them with me at the table I am at, and when someone comes to write the numbers I offer the chance to pick it up and move it.This way I have a good idea of who picked it up and whether or not they will actually move it properly.

I have had several coins in the past picked up at events then "disappear" for a length of time only to be grabbed out of another cache that it was not logged into.

I am going to get on my soapbox for just a minute and say: Anyone who teaches a Geocaching 101 class is doing a major disservice to geocaching if they do not also teach the proper logging of geocoins out of and into caches or events and the reason it is important. Far too many newbies move coins and have no clue how to properly log them...if you don't know how ask, if you don't think you can handle it, don't remove the coin from the cache or the event. Is that too much to ask?

Ok, I will step off my soapbox now.