Hidiing a Cache on a Cruise Ship?

Hey guys-

Would it be possible to hide a cache on a Cruise Ship? Obviously, the problem would be the coordinates would change as the ship traveled. How could I go about doing this?

Sounds like an advertisement for a Cruise company. This would violate the guidelines in more ways than one (Commercial cache, and a Moving cache. )

Hey guys-

Would it be possible to hide a cache on a Cruise Ship? Obviously, the problem would be the coordinates would change as the ship traveled. How could I go about doing this?

Sounds like an advertisement for a Cruise company. This would violate the guidelines in more ways than one (Commercial cache, and a Moving cache. )

Don't do it. Forget about it. I'm assuming you'd be on this cruise so just enjoy yourself and do other things for a few days...you don't need anyone thinking this is a bomb or something. :mellow:

Quite simply, you wouldn't go about doing it. The commercial aspect (paying to get on the cruise) would shut you down almost as fast as the fact that the coords would change every day, or the fact that you wouldn't be there to maintain the cache unless you actually worked on that ship. Let's see, that's the maintenence, permanence, and commercial rules all broken. As cool as a cruise ship cache would be, it doesn't jive with the rules set forth by Groundspeak that define their form of responsible geocaching.

If you DO happen to work for the cruise line, you could try and organize some kind of letterbox-style hunt (clue-based instead of coord-based) on the ship and tie true caching into the port excursions, or something.

Hey guys-

Nope, no advertisment- just going on one and thought it'd be cool to hide a cache. Oh well- I'll hide them at the ports instead.

Nope, no advertisment- just going on one and thought it'd be cool to hide a cache. Oh well- I'll hide them at the ports instead.

Then those would probably be considered vacation caches and probably would be published unless you frequent the ports often for cache maintenance.

Edited by wkmccall

Hey guys-

I doubt your port caches would be approved.

[/i]

Cache Maintenance

The cache owner will assume all responsibility of their cache listings.

The responsibility of your listing includes quality control of posts to the cache page. Delete any logs that appear to be bogus, counterfeit, off topic, or not within the stated requirements.

As the cache owner, you are also responsible for physically checking your cache periodically, and especially when someone reports a problem with the cache (missing, damaged, wet, etc.). You may temporarily disable your cache to let others know not to hunt for it until you have a chance to fix the problem. This feature is to allow you a reasonable time – normally a few weeks – in which to arrange a visit to your cache. In the event that a cache is not being properly maintained, or has been temporarily disabled for an extended period of time, we may archive or transfer the listing.

It may be difficult to fulfill your maintenance obligations if you place a cache while traveling on vacation or otherwise outside of your normal caching area. These caches may not be published unless you are able to demonstrate an acceptable maintenance plan. It is not uncommon for caches to go missing, areas to be cleared, trails to be blocked or closed, objects used for multi-cache or puzzles to be moved or removed, etc. Your maintenance plan must allow for a quick response to reported problems.

The territory in which a geocacher is able to maintain caches responsibly will vary from one person to the next. An active geocacher who regularly visits areas hundreds of miles apart can demonstrate their ability to maintain a cache 100 miles from home. A geocacher whose previous finds and hides are all within 25 miles of their home would likely not see their cache published if placed 250 miles away from their home.

If you have special circumstances, please describe your maintenance plan on your cache page. For example, if you have made arrangements with a local geocacher to watch over your distant cache for you, that geocacher’s name should be mentioned on your cache page.

[/i]

Hide a Travel Bug. Just as fun to hunt for, none of the restrictions.

I was trying to think how you could get that to work. You could have people ask Cruise Director Julie for the traveler but how would you advertise to the general geocaching population that it there to be Discovered?

hmmmm

I was trying to think how you could get that to work. You could have people ask Cruise Director Julie for the traveler but how would you advertise to the general geocaching population that it there to be Discovered?

hmmmm

Hide a cache near where the cruise begins, mention in the description that there's a bug on the ship.

hmmmm

I would think that between Julie, Gopher and Isaac the traveler could be pretty well advertised. But what would you name the traveler? :mellow: