Cache description written in obscure language

Say you have a cache that is a traditional container and the coords. take you directly to ground Zero. In theory you could leave the cache description almost blank. But, to theme it up some you write the cache description in something obscure and ultra geeky like Arda (Elvin ) or Klingonese for example. Reading the cache description could be done with work and would be very helpful in completing the cache, but not required to do it. Could this still be listed as a Traditional and not a Mystery?

I would think it would be listed as a Traditional if you say on the cache page: Reading the cache description can be done with work and would be very helpful in completing the cache, but not required to do it.

Basically it's an encrypted hint.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Well, judging by previous replies, my response is gonna be a minority opinion; here goes:

I believe that it is criminal and also stupid to ever embark on a hunt for a geocache without having first read the description on the cache listing page, or at least having made a strong effort to do so, because failing to read the description can lead to accidental trespassing or arrest or even to major injury or death. So, I feel that there is no excuse for failing to read a cache listing page, and I further feel that geocachers who routinely and deliberately skip reading the description on the cache listing page for a cache prior to hunting the cache should be remanded to Gitmo and should be subjected to waterboarding and electric shock torture, because it is they who earn a bad name for our sport among land managers.

Further, if the description page for a cache is written in a non-English language that happens to be the major language used in the country or region in which it is placed, then I see no problem with listing an otherwise-traditional cache as Traditional. However, if the description for an otherwise-traditional cache is deliberately written in an obscure language or in a language other than English which is not the major native language for the region/country, then I feel that the cache should, at the least, be listed as a "?" cache, that is, an ALR cache, because of the additional effort to which a conscientious cache seeker will need to go in order to log a find.

Wow Vinny, you seem like such a right thinking kinda guy. Not reading the cache page is no excuse for trespassing. Even reading the cache page is no excuse for trespassing. If I go out for a walk and choose to cross the line onto someones private property it is my own fault. If I read a cache page and trespass it is still my fault. Makes no difference if I read it on GC.com or Vinnycaching.com it is still trespassing. My rambling point is that no matter what I am ultimately responsible for my own actions. If I walk off a cliff it is because I wasn't paying attention NOT because you failed to tell me it was in front of me. Do I think the cache description should be read before hunting? Yes. Do I think for one minute that they always are? I think we all know better.

Now, as for what the cache should be listed as on that I agree. If it is in a language other than the major accepted local language it should be listed as a (?) mystery/puzzle cache. A local cacher should not be expected to decipher the cache page before reading it. I will disagree on the English part. It is the accepted local language that should matter.

This thread wasn't started to debate on whether someone needs to read the cache description before embarking on the hunt but while i'm here,,, i'll say this. While i do read the majority of descriptions on caches that i'm interested in finding, there have been plenty that i haven't so i'll be the first to say, go ahead and sign me up for that electric shock torture. Furtheremore, i don't resemble that "stupid" remark that was made in the previous post. I am an adult and can make up my own mind on whether or not i want to read a cache's description when going after it.

On topic, There are times when cache pages need to be read in order to find the cache, but the scenario that the OP has brought up isn't one of them. If it's listed as traditional, then it's most likely not going to require anything more than the punching in of coordinates and finding of the cache...

Wow Vinny, you seem like such a right thinking kinda guy. Not reading the cache page is no excuse for trespassing. Even reading the cache page is no excuse for trespassing. If I go out for a walk and choose to cross the line onto someones private property it is my own fault. If I read a cache page and trespass it is still my fault. Makes no difference if I read it on GC.com or Vinnycaching.com it is still trespassing. My rambling point is that no matter what I am ultimately responsible for my own actions. If I walk off a cliff it is because I wasn't paying attention NOT because you failed to tell me it was in front of me. Do I think the cache description should be read before hunting? Yes. Do I think for one minute that they always are? I think we all know better.

Now, as for what the cache should be listed as on that I agree. If it is in a language other than the major accepted local language it should be listed as a (?) mystery/puzzle cache. A local cacher should not be expected to decipher the cache page before reading it. I will disagree on the English part. It is the accepted local language that should matter.

Now here I have to comment. :wacko: I am planning on doing a very hard cache for a very good cacher for their 10,000th cache. I do stand by what you just said. However, consider this, and then see what you think after a little bit of thought on the matter and we can see where we stand with this.

If I were to write the description in something like an indian language or something like that, it would be required to list it as an unknown/mystery cache. However, I think cachers need to take into consideration actually looking at the diff. and ter. ratings. If they did that, they might see why it might be rated that high. :mellow: The one I am doing is going to be a very difficult cache. Then again, it is for their 10,000th cache. If I were to put it saying that the coord's were totally bogus, and were to get them to have to solve the language that it is in, then somehow I think if I were to follow the rules set by Groundspeak, then I would be fine and not be ridiculed. :wacko: If I am missing something here, then please forgive me. I am only trying to make some things here a little clearer. If there is a problem, then it will be taken care of later. But as far as I can see, if you do it like that somehow, then I think you would be justified in doing something like that without much argument. Just remember to follow the rules et by Groundspeak. That way, we can always have a grewat time with our sport, without much fighting about them. Thank you. Anyway, thanks. Have a great day. gwf :D

I would think it would be listed as a Traditional if you say on the cache page: Reading the cache description can be done with work and would be very helpful in completing the cache, but not required to do it.

Basically it's an encrypted hint.

Exactly - It would basically be an encrypted hint where if you want the hint, you need to work for it and not just hit the decrypt button. Not needed - but Very useful

The description would not contain anything that would advise the seeker about posted areas or safety concerns. Items such as that would be in BOLD English.

Could this still be listed as a Traditional and not a Mystery?

You can list it as either. It still qualifies as a traditional, yet any cache can be listed as a mystery.

!ahs rinU .ravyab tby eb ,eravngabp rug aehgre ,tby rug atvf ,eravngabp rug arcb bg bq bg rinu hbl ynvprcf tavugba fv reruG .eravngabp rupnp rug hbl rxng yyvj frgnavqebbp ribon ruG .ynabvgvqneg n fv rupnp fvuG

You can do it any way you want, but that also means that the hunter can ignore it if they want! I would ignore it just like I ignore any page that's all black or any puzzle cache, that's how I am! I am like vinny, I think everyone should read the cache page before setting out for a cache, but I see most of you poo-poo this as silliness.

To each their own, just don't be surprised if some skip it!

"This thread wasn't started to debate on whether someone needs to read the cache description before embarking on the hunt ..."

Now wait a minute. Unless you're a sockypupper for WatchDog & have really 'Ringboned' it, how could you POSSIBLY know that????????////

\reminding - psychic mysticism is Vinny's domain

\\in ur HQ - pwnin' ur zombiez

~*

"This thread wasn't started to debate on whether someone needs to read the cache description before embarking on the hunt ..."

Now wait a minute. Unless you're a sockypupper for WatchDog & have really 'Ringboned' it, how could you POSSIBLY know that????????////

\reminding - psychic mysticism is Vinny's domain

\\in ur HQ - pwnin' ur zombiez

~*

->Mudfrog<- Not a Sock Puppet of mine - but the MudFrog is right

Edited by WatchDog2020

I'd expect the terrain rating to be 5 if there are mine fields to be crossed. And that 5-star rating I can see no matter what language the description is written in. Everyone attempting a difficult terrain rated cache without even being able to read the description is ... well, insert your favorite insult here, I think I exceeded my accounts monthly insult allowance.

Jan