Hiding personal geocoins from drop-down box

K-9Patrol

I'm not sure if this has been discussed before. Knowing the thoroughness of the members, I'm sure it has, but I'll post anyway. I've started a small personal geocoin collection that will eventually grow. I buy new unactivated coins, activate them, then keep them for myself. I have no intention of sending them into the wild as they are for my own personal enjoyment. Also, I still want to activate them so they show up in my inventory. The problem will be that as my collection grows, I will have to sift through many personal coins, while logging a find on a cache page, to locate and drop someone else's coin. Can a feature be installed that will enable a member to checkmark personal coins so that they will still show up as coins owned and in your inventory, but will not show up in the drop-down box to log/drop coins in a cache? Just a suggestion. Thanks.

A third option, and one which won't ever cause confusion for your volunteer cache reviewer like an unpublished or archived cache might, is to use the "mark missing" option on each trackable to place them in an unknown location. You can grab them back if you ever want to send a coin traveling, and folks can still discover your trackable.

A third option, and one which won't ever cause confusion for your volunteer cache reviewer like an unpublished or archived cache might, is to use the "mark missing" option on each trackable to place them in an unknown location. You can grab them back if you ever want to send a coin traveling, and folks can still discover your trackable.

That is a neat idea. Didn't realize that would work. Better than an unpublished cache.

That is a neat idea. Didn't realize that would work. Better than an unpublished cache.

I thought about using that option, but I already have more than 25 geocoins that I released over the past couple of years that have actually come up missing. Sooner or later, a visitor to the cache the coin is supposed to be in makes a note on the cache page that they looked for my coin and it wasn't there. Then either the cache visitor or someone else (often Keystone :mellow: ) uses the "mark missing" option to move the coin to an "unknown location." If I used this "mark missing" option for my non-traveling coins, it would be tough to tell which are my non-travelers and which are bona fide missing.

For this reason, I decided to create an unpublished cache to stash my non-traveling coins in. I don't have any archived caches, so I couldn't just use one of those as my coin stash. Instead, I created an unpublished cache, and used the same coordinates as one of my active caches. That way, hopefully, the unpublished cache won't cause any confusion or conflicts with potential new caches.

--Larry

Edited by larryc43230

Just edit the name. Using the Unknown Location option doesn't add logs or faux mileage

Do you mean edit the name of the coin? I already do that for my non-travelers (I add an "NT" on the end for non-traveling), but if I kept them in the "unknown location" slot, they would still be intermingled with my really-missing coins. Personally, I prefer to keep them separate.

--Larry

Edit to add: I realize I could add a prefix to my non-travelers that would cause them to be sorted to either the top or bottom of the list; I still prefer to just keep them in separate places.

Edited by larryc43230

Thank you all for some great suggestions. I never thought about any of these. It seems that I have so much to learn about this site and all it's features. One question, though. How do I create an unpublished cache? I've never hidden a cache, myself, but I've visited the online form and know the procedure. Is it as simple as unchecking the box next to this paragraph, "Yes, this listing is active (For new listings, if you want to work on this listing before it is reviewed, uncheck this box. Reviewers will only see the listing in the queue when it is checked.)" Or is there something else to it? Thanks again.

Thank you all for some great suggestions. I never thought about any of these. It seems that I have so much to learn about this site and all it's features. One question, though. How do I create an unpublished cache? I've never hidden a cache, myself, but I've visited the online form and know the procedure. Is it as simple as unchecking the box next to this paragraph, "Yes, this listing is active (For new listings, if you want to work on this listing before it is reviewed, uncheck this box. Reviewers will only see the listing in the queue when it is checked.)" Or is there something else to it? Thanks again.

That's pretty much it (others will chime in, hopefully, with other hints and tips). You'll need to choose coordinates for your unpublished cache that don't conflict with possible future caches. Otherwise, when someone goes to publish their own, real, cache, the reviewer could see your unpublished cache as a conflict in terms of the minimum-distance-between-caches guideline. Maybe the middle of a big lake near you. :blink: I have three published caches of my own, so I just used the coordinates of one of my actual caches. That should avoid any potential conflicts.

--Larry

That's pretty much it (others will chime in, hopefully, with other hints and tips). You'll need to choose coordinates for your unpublished cache that don't conflict with possible future caches. Otherwise, when someone goes to publish their own, real, cache, the reviewer could see your unpublished cache as a conflict in terms of the minimum-distance-between-caches guideline. Maybe the middle of a big lake near you. :blink: I have three published caches of my own, so I just used the coordinates of one of my actual caches. That should avoid any potential conflicts.

--Larry

There's one more step you can do, and that is to archive the cache listing as well. You will still be able to access it, but that eliminates the coordinate conflict issue.

...use the "mark missing" option on each trackable to place them in an unknown location. You can grab them back if you ever want to send a coin traveling, and folks can still discover your trackable.

If I used this "mark missing" option for my non-traveling coins, it would be tough to tell which are my non-travelers and which are bona fide missing.

I would find it useful to have another option similar to "Mark Item Missing" but more descriptive for this purpose. Maybe something like this:

TravelBugMockup.gif

Any bugs/coins that are in the "Personal Collection" would be filtered out of the available list when logging a cache. If you want to get them moving, just "Move to last location" and you're good to go.