Found an Archived Cache

redjada

Today while out caching we found an archived cache. It is in pretty bad shape and has alot of logged finds. FTF was in 2004. I would like to post all the logs. I was thinking I could scan them and post them. Now there are 6 logs in this cache and its not all readable. Just wondering if this was possible?

Even though the cache has been archived you should still be able to post to it and upload pics if you want along with your log.

That's what I thought. But since its been archived, It's not listed anymore. The only way I found it here is by searching the CO's name. And the CO hasn't logged in since 2007.

Even though the cache has been archived you should still be able to post to it and upload pics if you want along with your log.

That's what I thought. But since its been archived, It's not listed anymore. The only way I found it here is by searching the CO's name. And the CO hasn't logged in since 2007.

As long as you know the GCXXXX info you can simply go to that cache page and post your log. If you found it via the owner just click on the cache link to open the cache page and then you can post your log. There are times when a cache has been locked but that is pretty rare.

As long as you know the GCXXXX info you can simply go to that cache page and post your log. If you found it via the owner just click on the cache link to open the cache page and then you can post your log. There are times when a cache has been locked but that is pretty rare.

I guess I was misunderstood. I found the cache. Checked geocaching.com. Found it was archived and no longer listed. Now, I have the cache in my hands. Not much worth keeping but I have six (8"x11") pages of log book that I think I can save and would like to post somewhere. Just thought it would to neat idea?

If there are lots of logs in the logbook but no one logged online, then you could do the logs as notes. Log a note using the date that the log was posted. Mention who signed it and what their log said. All of the logs will just be notes except the one that you log as a find for yourself. You can't log a find for someone else, but you could log a note so that there's a record of what the logbook says.

I found a cache once that had a FTF logged in the book by a muggle hunter and his son. I logged my find on the date that I found it. The muggle couldn't log the cache because they weren't registered as a geocaching.com cacher. So I logged a NOTE on the day that the muggle found it and mentioned in that note what was written by the hunter-dad.

I guess you were misunderstood, but the consensus (or what I've seen of it so far in other threads) says that you can post a find on an archived cache. Then you can upload the scanned (or photographed) log sheets there. If you don't want to log a find, then write a note. I think it would be nice to have the logs there. Unfortunately as it is an archived cache, not many people would see it. However, same thing would probably be true no matter where you post the images. Why not post it on the cache page, then post the waypoint ID here so that those of us who are curious can go take a look?

Edited by Chrysalides

I'd also e-mail the owner and let you know you have it and offer to get it back to him. Odds are he won't want to be bothered with it, but at least you offered.

I found out today the CO is no longer available (I won't mention why). In fact, I was the one that requested it to be archived. So I went and grabed the cache yesterday. The FTF was from 12-10-04. So I have alot of logs of other cachers finding this one. Rail Trail GCM7W8. I dried out the log but not all sigs survived.

So, if you don't know the cache info, you'll never know.... I did have an idea, I could put this info on my profile page? What do you think? Here is the FTF page.

I'd also e-mail the owner and let you know you have it and offer to get it back to him. Odds are he won't want to be bothered with it, but at least you offered.

I found out today the CO is no longer available (I won't mention why). In fact, I was the one that requested it to be archived. So I went and grabed the cache yesterday. The FTF was from 12-10-04. So I have alot of logs of other cachers finding this one. Rail Trail GCM7W8. I dried out the log but not all sigs survived.

So, if you don't know the cache info, you'll never know.... I did have an idea, I could put this info on my profile page? What do you think? Here is the FTF page.

Sorry,

RailTrail2.jpg

I'm not trying to log the find. Just thought it would be neat for everyone to see all the logs form the log book.

Edited by redjada

You have tried to have two of his caches archived. Is their more to this story that we are missing? You have other caches in the area, are you planning on hiding caches in these spots?

I'm surprised you didn't add a new logs to both caches.

Edited by Kit Fox

There's a lot of tidbits revealed about this whole situation that intrigues rather than shed light about what really happened. It's none of my business, so I won't pry. You can certainly post the link from your profile page, though it does seem a little strange. After all, your profile page is supposed to inform the world about you, and this is neither your logbook nor your cache. But there's certainly no reason why you can't do it.

Today while out caching we found an archived cache. It is in pretty bad shape and has alot of logged finds. FTF was in 2004. I would like to post all the logs. I was thinking I could scan them and post them. Now there are 6 logs in this cache and its not all readable. Just wondering if this was possible?

Okay, I have been biting my tongue from now to keep from replying, but... since you asked, here goes:

First, I find your initial post in this thread to be incredibly ambiguous, vague and confusing. I really do not know what you are trying to tell us and what you are asking, although I am able to make a few different guesses as to various possibilities. Next, I also have the strong sense that you have deliberately left a lot out of your initial post, and that there is far more to the story than you have disclosed. Finally, I suspect strongly that you have some kind of undisclosed agenda regarding this whole matter, where "undisclosed" is the operative term.

I don't understand your first post. That cache wasn't archived when you found it.

Yes you can post pictures of all the logs, but that doesn't seem to be the answer you were looking for. :blink:

Correct. The cache wasn't archived, and wouldn't be, if it weren't for the OP. Very strange, but I won't suspect a hidden agenda (yet). :blink: So what happened to the cache owner Redjada? Is he deceased? I don't know why you don't want to say why he isn't available.

Well, I have to agree with those who seem suspicious of motives of the OP.

I quickly perused their forum posts and found a number of threads pertaining to archival that they participated in. (Actually, they've started 3 others!) Below are some excerpts, but I would recommend for the truly curious to go read it themselves, as I was unable to quote all the posts due to the fact that adding too many quotes to a post breaks the quotes. There are some interesting posts that I think speak volumes. (Speaking of which, before the OP goes telling people how to spell, they need to work on it themselves...!)

(First thread: "Adopt a cache, I think its been abandoned")

There are two cache's by my house. One I have located and it was in poor shape. Wet and soggy inside. One is GCM7W8 the other GC133MR. it appers the owner of these has not loged into geocaching.com since June of 2007. I have sent emails to the owner asking if I could adopt but have no replys.

So I was wondering if there is a way I could adopt them? Any one have any ideas?

Thanks

Or just do a Good Thing and go and replace them. You don't need to be the owner to do that, especially if they clearly need replacing.
Crap!!! Why didn't I think of that? I just put in the request to have it archived :blink:
That's fine. Sometimes a cache just needs to be put out of its misery. It's in bad shape, with no owner, so no reason to keep it around. At least if it is archived and you hide a replacement, you own it and get credit for it and it's your responsibility.

(2nd thread:"When Or Do you Request, A Cache be archived?")

So far I have done twice. Both of witch are owned by the same person. The owner hasn't logged into GS since 2007. Both of these cache's are in bad shape. I Logged a needs Maint. and emailed the owner through GS. After not getting a reply back, I put in for the needs archived.

So yesterday we were out and found another one (GC13E48) Posted a needs maint. There was an contact email on the inside of the lid. But it got bounced back to me. "non deliverable" So, sent message through GS. Waiting for a reply.

Two weeks ago, I found another one (GCXCFB) This time I got a reply back saying "thanks for the heads up"

But after two weeks, it still hasn't been repaired....

Looks like an abuse of the SBA log. You found the cache. the cache is there, it's not posing a danger to caching (the land owner yelling at you on the spot to remove the cache for example) and as it happens you don't happen to like the condition of the cache and so hit the "SBA" button for a viable cache with an active owner who just doesn't seem to agree with your idea of maintenance.

I'll maintain my caches. However that's on my schedule as time and life allow. Thankfully I own my cache so my schedule works and it's the only one that apples. Now if you owned my cache then perhaps you could dictate what's reasonable.

I have post 2 SBA's and there owned by the same owner. So far, nothing is happening? The first one was on Feb. 20. Still hasnt been archived. How long dose the reviewer wait to archive it?
Is there a rush? Is the cache a danger to all geocaching as we know it? Or is the cache in need of maintenance (which is a different log and not really a SBA reason). The reviewer contacts the owner and gives them a reasonable time to respond. That time is thankfully a lot longer than most finders seem to have patience for if they had been in the reviewers shoes.
(Third Thread: " "Needs Maintenance" in reference to")
I will start here GCXCFB. I logged the find along with a "Needs Maintenance" I also sent an email to the owner. Got a reply back saying,"thanks for the heads up". That was a good month ago. Still not taken care of. Then we found GCXCFZ. Again I emailed the owner. Heres the reply

"Hello Redjada - Thanks for the note about our caches. If you stay in geocaching long enough, you'll find a lot of soaked caches along the way. We try our best to stay on top of our hides, but sometimes one or two slip by."

Has not done nothing to anything....

This owner has 189 hides. And I would say the last 15 finds out of 50 were by this owner. And 10 of those were just soaked and in bad shape. We love getting out and finding the cache's but when you keep finding wet caches by the same person it kinda sets a trend. In my opinion, I'm thinking just logging the find along with a "Needs Maintenance" And if nothing happens then, put a SBA.

I know there are guide lines, but they are kinda "not clear" I also know if you hide a cache, you need to take care of it. I only have 3 hides and will have 5 soon and that should be about it for now.That way I can manage my hides. But why hide 189 caches if you cant take care of them?

There seems to be alot of new cacher's in our area. I dont think its fare to go find a soaked cache. Kinda ruins the fun.

Just looking for an oppion......

Thanks

Hi redjada - we're wondering what you meant by this statement in your initial rant. It sounds like you are trying to say that 15 other caches of ours are soaked. I took a look at your cache finds and noticed that out of your whopping 80 finds, you found 5 of our caches, 2 of which you mention are soaked, the other three you say the caches are in good shape. What do you mean about 15 finds out of 50 by this owner? And 10 of those were just soaked and in bad shape? Huh???

Yes we do have 189 hides, but gee, not all of them are still active. I'm sure nothing we can say will make you happy, but we are responsible cache owners. Yes, from time to time a cache sits in need of maintenance for a bit, but we do fix all of our caches up eventually. We always wait until at least two DNFs or Wet Log posts to check on things because in our six years of caching we have learned that one person's idea of "soaked" is another's "damp".

A Fourth Thread participated in but not started by our current OP can be found here, if one is curious.

This brings us to this thread. Through them all, there have been conflicting pieces of information given on both sides (archive it vs preform maintenance, 15 caches from one owner need fixing vs the OP had only found 5). I can see where opposing views may be given depending on who you ask, but the exaggeration of facts (how can they know 15 caches still need fixing when they've only found 5?) really really makes me question motivations here.

Oh, so that's why the avatar looked familiar...

Well, FWIW, the OP asked a question here, and was polite about it, no point dragging up the past in answering that. If the OP truly has a different motive in starting this thread, let the OP bring it up instead.

Oh, so that's why the avatar looked familiar...

Well, FWIW, the OP asked a question here, and was polite about it, no point dragging up the past in answering that. If the OP truly has a different motive in starting this thread, let the OP bring it up instead.

Well, all I did was ask a question. And I got some good answers from some of you, thanks for that.

The rest of you seem to think there is writing between the lines. Sorry, there is not. I do not understand why some of you people feel that you need to analyze every word in a thread? The same people cant seem to reply to a thread without looking at someones profile. That doesn't bother me, but if your going to take the time to look. Then why don't post something about the status of my caches? Instead of just posting how many NM's or NA's I have posted. I could do the same to you, but I really care less how you manage your caches. If I find a cache that needs attention, then I'm going to post a NM.

Being new to geocaching. I'm just following the "Guide Lines" that are posted here on the web sight. When a cache is not being taken care of and it gets archived. Then it's just becomes trash/litter.

Now, hopefully this well let some of you get some sleep tonight.

1. Am I going to hide a cache in the mention area?

NO! I have no intentions of doing so. I only plan on hiding one or two more. And I already have the places picked out.

2. Why is the CO of the mentioned cache unable to maintain it?

Mind your own business, don't worry about. You don't really need to know. Stop loosing sleep over it.

3. Am I going to post a NM on a cache that is in full of water and everything inside is ruined?

You can bet on it!

4. Will I put a NA on a cache?

Yep, If I see that its not being taken care of. "The cache owner will assume all responsibility of their cache listings."

5. Am I going to keep posting?

Yes, some people here are actually willing to help when they can.

And thanks to all of you that have answered my questions the best you could. I appreciate the help.

P.S. For the one that took the time to look at my profile and seen that I have tried to have two caches archived. You are completely right. You just forgot to mention that they are by the same CO!

Edited by redjada

I don't understand your first post. That cache wasn't archived when you found it.

Yes you can post pictures of all the logs, but that doesn't seem to be the answer you were looking for. :blink:

Correct. The cache wasn't archived, and wouldn't be, if it weren't for the OP. Very strange, but I won't suspect a hidden agenda (yet). :blink: So what happened to the cache owner Redjada? Is he deceased? I don't know why you don't want to say why he isn't available.

What is their username? Perhaps that may answer a few questions. Thanks. gwf :blink::huh::(