GeoCoin Collection

teamhaynes

Hello Folks. I have been geocaching about a year now and just recently became addicted to collecting Geocoins.

I have a limited budget to purchase coins, so my initial thoughts on how to start collecting coins was to focus on a theme. So I started collecting Science Related and Navigational type coins (the compasses, etc).

I have a few off theme coins I picked up as well, but in general I have been keeping to this theme and picking up one or two a month depending on cost.

I am just curious how the rest of you folks decide what to collect. Anybody else out there have a theme to their collecting or ??? how to decide.

Thanks,

Jim aka TeamHaynes

To be honest, I buy totally unsystematic. It just goes like "Oooooh this one is beautiful, me want!"... Actually I try to wait one or two days before placing an order, to see if the "oooh, shiny, pretty preciousssss"-effect is lasting... Yes, I am addicted... :ph34r:

I've only been collecting a little over a month, but I've definitely been bitten! I think people are drawn to a certain type of coin, and often you see a theme naturally appear. At first I thought of the theme idea, but then as I saw more and more of what was out there I realized it was sooo more complicated. Only round coins? Only trackable coins? Types of metals, 3D; it goes on and on. For myself, I'm not particularly drawn to cartoonish type coins and if you look at my small collection you'll see I don't have a one. I'm athletic and "outdoorsy" and I like coins that represent the wild, nature, animals, or they might just appeal to me aesthetically. Good luck and enjoy!

Aaah..... you want to be a discriminating collector, ehy? Not yet an addict then. Enjoy it while you can and create your own criteria for coinage that you wish to purchase. I started with state coins then joined the coin of the month clubs and it's been downhill ever since.

Make sure you keep a catalog of your coins with tracking numbers and activation codes or sites that host each coin's code as the information builds up quickly and retrieving afterwards is more time consuming than it needs to be.

Remember, there is no 12 Step program for this!!

Aaah..... you want to be a discriminating collector, ehy? Not yet an addict then. Enjoy it while you can and create your own criteria for coinage that you wish to purchase. I started with state coins then joined the coin of the month clubs and it's been downhill ever since.

Make sure you keep a catalog of your coins with tracking numbers and activation codes or sites that host each coin's code as the information builds up quickly and retrieving afterwards is more time consuming than it needs to be.

Haha. how true :ph34r:

As some may have guessed from other threads, I am almost exclusively collecting Dutch coins.

When I first got hooked on geocoin collecting, I decided I was going to collect coins with national themes, but the only country that seemed to be doing a coin every year was the Netherlands. The fact that my wife is Dutch (and she had by that time seen pictures of the Delft Blauw coins) led me to start collecting other Dutch coins, regardless of whether they had a national theme.

I now only buy/trade for non-Dutch coins if I think they are something special that I would want in my very small non-Dutch album, or if I think they will have a high demand and could bring in a trade to fill in the many gaps among the older Dutch coins.

I also will never turn down a gift of a personal coin, but don't see much point in collecting personals from a third party (unless it is one of the early ones :) )

Having a theme to your collection makes it all the more rewarding when you get something that completes a section of it (like getting that LE Dutch 2005 -- haven't done that yet!). But it also means that when you start out there are LOTS of gaps, and it will cost a pretty penny to fill them.

Good luck with your collection, and have fun with it. I've had to step back a bit after I realized I was getting just a little too obsessed with watching coins on eBay. :ph34r:

As some may have guessed from other threads, I am almost exclusively collecting Dutch coins.

When I first got hooked on geocoin collecting, I decided I was going to collect coins with national themes, but the only country that seemed to be doing a coin every year was the Netherlands. The fact that my wife is Dutch (and she had by that time seen pictures of the Delft Blauw coins) led me to start collecting other Dutch coins, regardless of whether they had a national theme.

I now only buy/trade for non-Dutch coins if I think they are something special that I would want in my very small non-Dutch album, or if I think they will have a high demand and could bring in a trade to fill in the many gaps among the older Dutch coins.

I also will never turn down a gift of a personal coin, but don't see much point in collecting personals from a third party (unless it is one of the early ones :) )

Having a theme to your collection makes it all the more rewarding when you get something that completes a section of it (like getting that LE Dutch 2005 -- haven't done that yet!). But it also means that when you start out there are LOTS of gaps, and it will cost a pretty penny to fill them.

Good luck with your collection, and have fun with it. I've had to step back a bit after I realized I was getting just a little too obsessed with watching coins on eBay. :ph34r:

That is one reason I picked the themes I did. Coins and Pins seems to keep their navigational pins in stock and I started with collecting them, and aside from the compass rose coins I have been able to pick up most of the series.

I wish I could acquire the compass rose coins, but collecting the early ones seems to be prohibitively expensive, so I think i will just try to collect the coins from the years that I have cached (2008 and 09).

I too have spent way considerable time trolling ebay for coins. I am truly addicted, just limited in funding...

So no geocacher's anonymous yet eh?? I have started keeping a spreadsheet for the infromation. Mainly to make it easier to log them in and out of events. I have also started trolling the forum for ways to store them. Currently they reside in an ammo can

So no geocacher's anonymous yet eh?? I have started keeping a spreadsheet for the infromation. Mainly to make it easier to log them in and out of events. I have also started trolling the forum for ways to store them. Currently they reside in an ammo can

Well that certainly is miles ahead of the winner of last year's Worst Coin Storage cointest. The-Wolf-Pack admitted to storing her coins in a plastic diaper wipes container! :ph34r:

Ive only been collecting a few months. I pick coins in theme of things I like in general, not specifically geocaching related. Actually I dont think I have or will have any coins that are directly related to geocaching/hiking/gps and so on..

A few examples of how ive started my collection.

Lighthouse Montauk coin - I have been going to Montauk point for over 20 years. The coin is nice looking, I probably would have passed on it if I thought it was an ugly coin.

Claddah, Ireland 2007, Cead Mile Failte - Im Irish and im always looking for Irish related coins.. But there are a bunch of them out there that I do not find to be attractive looking and I will not collect them.

4 Musketeers / Medusa / Templar Knights - Like all of them theme wise, regardless of it being a geocaching item. All attractive coins imo.

Dark Side of the Cache - Dont have this coin yet, but im dying to get it. Great album, great looking coin, great icon.

I dont just collect any new coin that comes out or get a coin because its ONLY attractive looking. It really needs to be a combo of looks & reason.

Case & point being - Compass Rose & Tranqulity coins. Seems that everyone loves them, I do find them appealing to the eye, but I really have no interest in them. Ill probably never own any of them. They wouldnt mean anything to me other than just a colorfull coin.

after a nice lil cat nap (4 hrs) in the computer chair,lol im ready to post. haha

I went to geocoin collection site, and trolled the pictures of coins and started a list of coins I liked the designs from. once I had too many,,lol I decided to start to focus on sets of each coin that I really like.

I use a top 5 formatt. I focus on 5 coins at a time when 1 drops off(aquired) I add one to the bottom of the list. this has proven me to not get to astray from what I really want, and has helped get the coins i do want.

Hello Folks. I have been geocaching about a year now and just recently became addicted to collecting Geocoins.

I have a limited budget to purchase coins, so my initial thoughts on how to start collecting coins was to focus on a theme. So I started collecting Science Related and Navigational type coins (the compasses, etc).

I have a few off theme coins I picked up as well, but in general I have been keeping to this theme and picking up one or two a month depending on cost.

I am just curious how the rest of you folks decide what to collect. Anybody else out there have a theme to their collecting or ??? how to decide.

Thanks,

Jim aka TeamHaynes

Welcome to the wonderful world of coins :wacko:

If I could go back in time and give myself advice about collecting coins this is what I would tell me back then; :wacko:

*Stick to the budget!

*You don't need 1 of each version

*You don't need 1 to keep, 1 to trade, 1 to release

*Buy what you really love

*You can (99.9%) of the time trade for it down the road

*Check out seller/vendor before you give them your hard-earned $$$

*Try to take all the posters here (all of us :mellow:) with a grain of salt. It's so easy to get swept up in the drama/excitement of it all. In the end, these are only coins and the idea here is to add some fun to your life.

*Enjoy and nuture some of the special friendships you will make here if you stick around, it can be a rewarding support system.

(I say this after having experienced each of these in the time I've been here and I still continue to learn and adjust the longer I'm here)

Best wishes,

tsun :D

Welcome to the wonderful world of coins :D

If I could go back in time and give myself advice about collecting coins this is what I would tell me back then; :D

*Stick to the budget!

*You don't need 1 of each version

*You don't need 1 to keep, 1 to trade, 1 to release

*Buy what you really love

*You can (99.9%) of the time trade for it down the road

*Check out seller/vendor before you give them your hard-earned $$$

*Try to take all the posters here (all of us :wacko:) with a grain of salt. It's so easy to get swept up in the drama/excitement of it all. In the end, these are only coins and the idea here is to add some fun to your life.

*Enjoy and nuture some of the special friendships you will make here if you stick around, it can be a rewarding support system.

(I say this after having experienced each of these in the time I've been here and I still continue to learn and adjust the longer I'm here)

Best wishes,

tsun :D

These are some great suggestions.

So far I have been only buying 1 of each coin I am interested and activating it for my personal collection. I haven't gotten to the point where I am buying multiple additions or coins for trading.

*Try to take all the posters here (all of us :wacko:) with a grain of salt. It's so easy to get swept up in the drama/excitement of it all. In the end, these are only coins and the idea here is to add some fun to your life.

Trust me I know this one. Every hobby I have ever had has been obsessive/compulsive. The great thing about this geocaching hobby is I can get the whole family involved so it is a positive obsession. As far as the geocoin collecting goes.. I find myself always trying to figure out how to fund getting a coin I run across. I have my target collection, but then I will come across something by scavok or even your neptune that really catches my eye and then....where in the budget can I make room.

Oh, and then there is wicked thought that is creeping up which I know will get me in trouble sooner or later: Create a TeamHaynes Coin :mellow:

Thanks

I see it and have to have it therefor I'm addicted.

The Physician says there is no hope, no 12 step program, heck I even bought the I'm Addicted to Geocoins coin, both of them...

At this point I don't care if they are trackable or not... Hand made sure why not... Heck I'm trying to win a redneck washer geocoin...

scavok, Madhatter Neverlands, Christopher Rake (Crake), Atwell Family, Chris Mackey just a few of the names that haunt me...

I Need help... There is no hope for the weak... Gotta go there may be a new coin released any minute...

I hope no one minds if I hijack this thread just slightly since the question has been answered by a few and I kind of have questions regarding the same topic.

I don't belong to a coin club but have given some thought to doing a "coin of the quarter" (1 coin design available every 4th month)(trackable/icon).

Is there really reasonable interest in this kind of club and do people like surprise designs or a special metal/color combo not available to non coin club members?

I've been thinking about it for some time but just haven't really made an effort to find out if it is worth doing or if it is something people really would be interested in.

What is it that people like about the coin clubs? The surprise design or just a special version or combo of both?

I would absolutely without a doubt join a Club by you. I love your coins and would love to get surprises in the mail.

Well i started with my favorite animals, cows , cats and horse.

But by now I'm keeping a ZOO and i'm still looking for new arrivals :blink:

Can not resist a coin which has to do with a place where I've been.

Anyway it is fun to do and trading is really possible!!!

I did buy some extra coins to trade but sometimes it is hard to predict which will become good traders.

Have been lucky with the 2009 KIWI, Some Dutch coins and recently the new Birka's