What is the right thing to do ?

I recently had a cacher go to one of my caches the cache was a Nano. He said he found it but when he was taking the log out he dropped the small magnet inside and couldn't find it so he took the cache home and notified me that he wanted to give it back to me to fix and replace. My question is should I tell him to fix it himself since he is the one that broke it, or take it back replace it and move on and not say anything. Just trying to get a feel for what the right thing to do is, and would like some opinions please

ET

I recently had a cacher go to one of my caches the cache was a Nano. He said he found it but when he was taking the log out he dropped the small magnet inside and couldn't find it so he took the cache home and notified me that he wanted to give it back to me to fix and replace. My question is should I tell him to fix it himself since he is the one that broke it, or take it back replace it and move on and not say anything. Just trying to get a feel for what the right thing to do is, and would like some opinions please

ET

Unfortunately, this is one of the hazards of placing a cache - cache maintenance if something goes wrong. I would take the high road on this, fix it and replace it and move on without saying anything. It's part of the responsibility for placing caches.

Besides, would you really want to stir up a lot of trouble over a tiny magnet? That's not worth it. :ph34r:

The cache is your responsibility.

What would you do if you were dressed down because you broke the cache. Would you be inclined to take another dressing down the next time or would you simply drop the cache to the ground and move on?

I think the proper thing to do is graciously repair the cache and move on. Start complaining about folks breaking your cache and the next thing you know your cache is gone with no clue on what happened.

I say thank him for letting you know the cache needed repair and then fix it yourself.

I agree. It's the owner's job to maintain his caches.

It was nice for him to tell you. Sometimes people won't say a word when they screw up one of your caches.

I just found one of mine that was totally shattered. It is obvious by the condition of the cache and the rock right next to it, that it was frozen in place and someone tried to use the rock to pry it loose. Rock - 1, Plastic cache container - 0.

It would have been nice if the person informed me. Instead it sat there with the contents and logbook getting soaked and ruined. I wish the perpetrator explained to me what happened so I could have fixed it promptly and perhaps saved the contents.

But things like this are all part of cache ownership. Things happen.

Edited by briansnat
My question is should I tell him to fix it himself since he is the one that broke it

If the magnet fell off, how is that his fault. Seems to me the magnet was not properly attached.

As a cache owner, I would rather have someone let me know if a cache is damaged, and let me repair it. Whether it is the hunters fault, by being a little careless, or my fault because of poor cache design.

If at all possible, I would rather have them try to protect the cache in some way, then let me know, rather then taking it home. However, even if they have to take it with them, I still would like to be the one to repair it.

I say thank him for letting you know the cache needed repair and then fix it yourself.

Bingo!!

Next time make certain the magnet is not going to fall off. That has happened to me once and I had to spend 20 minutes finding the little thing. I could have just tossed it back but I didn't. Those magnets need a little help.

I've got a cache that I have watched people intentionally destroy trying to figure it out and never say anything about it, so I would have to agree with everyone else. I'd appreciate being told that it was broke and given the opportunity to correct. The other option would be that they just left it in pieces for the next person to stumble onto.

The guidelines for listing a cache here are pretty clear on this one: "As the cache owner, you are also responsible for physically checking your cache periodically, and especially when someone reports a problem with the cache (missing, damaged, wet, etc.)."

It was very nice of the other cacher to let you know that he had a problem with it though.

Hello

If the NANO is the same type as I've seen then they have two magnetised metal discs, one inside, one outside of the container. They are not glued in place. If the container is taken from the metal structure where it's been hidden leaving the outer disc behind then there will be nothing to magnetically hold the inner disc in place. It will fall out. It's not been broken they are made like that. The ones I've found I've advised the owners to glue both metal discs in place. They've been pleased to be advised and welcomed my advice.

Regards

Bernard

The guidelines for listing a cache here are pretty clear on this one: "As the cache owner, you are also responsible for physically checking your cache periodically, and especially when someone reports a problem with the cache (missing, damaged, wet, etc.)."

It was very nice of the other cacher to let you know that he had a problem with it though.

I agree 100 percent. In my area, it seems like people hide the cache's and then expect people like us to take care of them. It was very nice of the finder to take the time to email you with the problem. I would expect the same with my hides. It's your cache so you need to take care of it. Sometimes accidents will happen. But it's still your cache. I try to do the best I can in drying out a cache and what not. The way I look at it. If you take the time to hide it, then take care of it.

I don't understand why a cache with a magnet in it wouldn't have the magnet glued in place. I was the FTF a cache last year--it was a tube with a magnet stuck underneath a trailside plaque. When I tried to put it back, it wouldn't stick. Turns out the person who placed it just dropped a magnet inside and I didn't realize it fell out when I opened it. Fortunately, I found the magnet on the ground and was able to replace the cache.

As CO, you're responsible to fix it IMHO. Now, if he'd said "sorry, I broke your cache - can I fix it and if so, how would you like me to do it?" that'd be pretty gracious of him, and it'd be up to you whether he fixed it or you took it back.

It's pretty good that he fessed up and told you it was broken. A lot of people wouldn't have even done that, they'd just try to replace it in a haphazard way and it would likely have fallen and been lost forever.

Story from one of my recent experiences. I went after a cache which was wedged in the base of a tree. In the course of retrieving it, I knocked it loose and it became unreachable. I posted a note on the cache page & contacted the owner. Never heard anything back.

Yesterday, I was contacted by another local cacher who was planning on going after this cache but saw my note. He asked what would be needed to grab the cache, so I described the situation as best I could without giving away the location. This morning I checked the cache page and he was able to successfully retrieve & replace the cache properly.