Cache data into Palm Pilot

wreckdiver

I am using cachemate to download caches into my Palm Pilot (Tungsten E2) and have been successful in downloading the cache names, waypoints, lat/lons, but the hints, descriptions, past logs, and travel bug info do not come through. I have checked these on the cachemate screen (yes, I admit even the decrypted hints) so am at a loss on what went wrong.

I would appreciate any ideas, thanks.

I am using cachemate to download caches into my Palm Pilot (Tungsten E2) and have been successful in downloading the cache names, waypoints, lat/lons, but the hints, descriptions, past logs, and travel bug info do not come through. I have checked these on the cachemate screen (yes, I admit even the decrypted hints) so am at a loss on what went wrong.

I would appreciate any ideas, thanks.

How are you sending the data to cachemate? I use GSAK and everything works well.

also I found this on the smittyware site. this could be the issue if you are using loc files versus gpx files to send data to cachemate

LOC files from Geocaching.com don't include cache-specific information such as terrain/difficulty ratings, descriptions and hints. All that they contain are the cache name, owner, waypoint name, and coordinates. GPX files that are obtained from Geocaching.com, though, have all of this information, and are also supported for import. However, they are not freely available. You will need to get a paid membership at that site, and create a pocket query to generate those files.

In some cases, an imported GPX file may not have this information either. Generally, it's due to taking a Geocaching.com-generated file, then editing and saving it in a third-party program that ends up wiping out the geocaching-specific information. EasyGPS is a typical culprit of this, but there are other programs that may do it as well. For best results, use the original GPX file, unless you're using a program that you're sure does not have this effect on the file.

Edited by teamhaynes

Thank you so much - your response was very clear. Haven't tried it yet, but it sounds like you it the problem exactly. I downloaded from the regular site through Cachemate. Even though I have been a paying member for years, I didn't realize that there was that difference. I do use the pocket query to download sites, but only when I want to go along a route.

THANK YOU!!

Well, this did not work. I received the pocket query, open the gpx file to GSAK, then hotsynched; still no hints or descriptions.

Can't figure out what I'm doing wrong this time.

thanks for any help..................

First off you don't need to open the PQ .zip file for GSAK to read it, the program can read the files directly. This probably the preferred approach since it will deal with the waypoint file and handle t them as child waypoints.

1. Does GSAK have all the info?

2. Did you do a cachemate export from GSAK before you hotsynced?

Jim

Well, this did not work. I received the pocket query, open the gpx file to GSAK, then hotsynched; still no hints or descriptions.

First off you don't need to open the PQ .zip file for GSAK to read it, the program can read the files directly. This probably the preferred approach since it will deal with the waypoint file and handle t them as child waypoints.

Jim

Interesting......

1) No, GSAK did not have all the info

2) so I guess it doesn't matter, but yes, I did the export.

Anyhow, I did finally solve the problem, although it is not an elegant solution. I took the SD card out of the Palm Pilot, sent the GSAK file to the card, then re-inserted it into my Palm Pilot. Now I have the hints, descriptions, etc, and can go caching without tons of paper!

Thanks.

Jim

Interesting......

1) No, GSAK did not have all the info

2) so I guess it doesn't matter, but yes, I did the export.

Anyhow, I did finally solve the problem, although it is not an elegant solution. I took the SD card out of the Palm Pilot, sent the GSAK file to the card, then re-inserted it into my Palm Pilot. Now I have the hints, descriptions, etc, and can go caching without tons of paper!

Thanks.

If the info does not show in GSAK then there is no way, other than an occult hand, that GSAK can suddenly manufacture the data during export to the SD card. What this says is that some where along the line you are not exporting to where you think your exporting to or your hot sync is not getting the file you think your exporting.

Jim