Oregon - Deleting multiple Waypoints

eaparks

I am trying to delete a lot of saved Waypoints from the Oregon (400c) and instead of doing them one at a time on the unit I am wanting to delete them thru Mapsource. I hook up the GPS in Mass Storage Mode, open the unit's drive (not the memory card) and go in OR drive/Garmin/GPX/Custom and open the Custom.gpx file in Mapsource and delete roughly 100 waypoints and resave the Mapsource Custom.gpx file back to the unit. When I turn the unit back on the Waypoints are back on the unit.

What am I doing wrong??? I know it has got to be something simple I'm overlooking.

I looked on the Oregon Wiki but did not see any info. on deleting multiple Waypoints thru the unit or via Mapsource with the unit in mass storage mode. As far as I know, there is not a way to delete multiple Waypoints on the unit similar to the methods on the 60CSx, is there? I would be most thankful for any help.

edit: using 2.94 software & Windows XP

Edited by eaparks

Have you tried:-

Open unit on PC Mass Storage - Open a NEW Mapsource on the PC - Receive from Device - Waypoints

Edit your received Waypoints [add or Remove] - Save to NEW.gdb

Remove Oregon from PC - Turn ON - Setup - Reset - Delete All Waypoints

Open unit on PC Mass Storage - Open the saved NEW.gdb Mapsource on the PC - Save to Device - Waypoints

Sounds a long job but when you are familiar with it - cut out some of the moves!

3 minutes when I do it.

I do not accept responsiblity for it going wrong but it works for me! :ph34r:

Setup>Reset>Delete All Waypoints is the only way to remove them all at once. No way to delete waypoints in USB mass storage mode.

If you really mean Waypoints, not poi's or caches;

AFTER that, with windows explorer, you have to delete the YOUR waypointfile plus current.gpx file **** and if existing the temp file, if you want to have new waypoints visible the new waypoint file NEEDS to have another name than the one before, else the gps 'thinks' it's the same you deleted before.

**** the current.gps can contain tracks and other data you don't want to lose, if so, make a backup.

Edited by splashy

Hi I'm having the exact same annoying problem with waypoint handling. It does get even worse once you start creating waypoints on the unit. Then everything does get mixed up and really complicated.

Does anyone have a best practice solution for the following problem:

- I uploaded a gpx file containing 100 waypoints to the unit

- out in the field I created another 50 waypoints on the unit

- back home I want to delete 40 waypoints from the unit, 20 of which are in the original gpx file and the other 20 are among those created on the unit

- on top of that I also want to transfer 20 new waypoints created on my PC to the unit

Here's what I usually do (and I do think it is unnecessarily complicated):

- create a new gpx file on my computer containing the 20 new waypoints

- download my "old" gpx file from the unit and copy those waypoints I want to keep to the new gpx file

- download garmins gpx file from the unit and copy those waypoints I want to keep from that file to the new gpx file

- delete my "old" gpx file on the unit

- disconnect and start the unit to delete all waypoints using the units own software

- reconnect the unit to the PC and copy the new gpx file to it

Maybe there is a better way to do this?

In addition it does even get more complicated if you also have other gpx files on the unit. Here's why: As soon as I delete all waypoints using the unit's software it won't recognize/read all those waypoints from the other gpx files as it somehow remembers that I deleted them. So when I do the above I additionally have to rename/resave (=change timestamp) all other gpx files as well...

Personally I think it would be much better if the Oregon wouldn't make any difference between gpx files and "internal memory". Wouldn't it be better if it just read and deleted waypoints from gpx files. So if you delete a waypoint it also deletes it from the gpx file and if you delete the waypoint from the gpx file it wouldn't read it anymore... Waypoints created on the unit could be stored in a seperate gpx file maybe called oregonwpts.gpx or whatever.

See my answer before, I have however no clue where the gps stores this invisible waypointdata.

If you do what I suggest before it works anyway, remember to RENAME the new waypointfile.

To make things even more complicated; if you load trackdata and waypoints in mapsource and you save a track back to the gps, its saves this track sometimes with the wayoints incorporated in the track, so if you have double waypoints you don't understand they might be in a trackfile (gpx)

Edited by splashy

Thanks for your hint. As far as I understand your solution basically is the same as mine.

- You first have to copy current.gpx to your PC in order to save those waypoints that you created on your unit.

- Then you may delete all waypoints on your unit by using the unit's software.

- Then you have to edit and rename all gpx files whose waypoints should reappear on the unit

- To keep some of the waypoints created on the unit you have to copy them from the former current.gpx file to one of your gpx files

I usually do have something like 10 gpx files on my unit... If I just want to delete some of the waypoints of one of the gpx files as well as some of the waypoints created on the unit I have to do what I described in my last post which I think is more or less what you would also be doing.

Edited by binzi

Thanks, everyone. If I am generically summarizing everyone's input, it sounds like basically the only choice is to (1.) save all the Waypoints on unit in Mapsource and delete unwanted Waypoints using Mapsource; (2.) delete all Waypoints from unit, (3) Resend modified Mapsource Waypoint file to unit.

Might be a good point of information for the Oregon wiki, if it isn't already there. I called myself looking for it but never found the exact information. Thanks.

Thanks for your hint. As far as I understand your solution basically is the same as mine.

- You first have to copy current.gpx to your PC in order to save those waypoints that you created on your unit.

- Then you may delete all waypoints on your unit by using the unit's software.

- Then you have to edit and rename all gpx files whose waypoints should reappear on the unit

- To keep some of the waypoints created on the unit you have to copy them from the former current.gpx file to one of your gpx files

I usually do have something like 10 gpx files on my unit... If I just want to delete some of the waypoints of one of the gpx files as well as some of the waypoints created on the unit I have to do what I described in my last post which I think is more or less what you would also be doing.

Connect to Usb

If I have new trip data I backup my current.gpx with windows explorer

(This is just to backup, you don't have to do this)

If you have new waypoints load then in Mapsource and save the waypointfile, I save in gpx.

End mapsource (don't save anything) If you don't end mapsource and continue with the track

you might end up with a trackfile including waypoints.

If you have new track(s) reopen mapsource load and save the track(s)

End mapsource again (don't save anything)

With windows explorer delete current.gpx end if it's there temp

Disconnect the gps from Usb

Gps on

Setup>Reset>Delete All Waypoints because they are still there (don't ask me how)

Reconnect gps to usb mass storage

With windows explorer, put a waypoint-your-new-name.gpx in the gpx either Gps or Sd

The new waypointfile MUST have another name, as the one you deleted before, else it won't work

Edited by splashy

There's lots of stuff going on here on this thread but here's how it works:

- Waypoints can be created on the unit in two ways: by 1) loading a gpx file in \Garmin\GPX or by 2) creating one on the unit (ie. Mark Waypoint)

- "Loading a gpx file" above means either loading a new file or overwriting an existing file. The unit looks for new filenames or existing filenames with updated timestamps. If it detects either it will load all waypoints from the newly detected gpx file exactly once. After that you can remove these files and there will be no impact to the waypoints which have been created on the unit.

- All new waypoints are are added to an internal database (nothing to do with the gpx files at this point) that is visible to the user when you look at the Waypoint lists under the Waypoint Manager or WhereTo?>Waypoints

- Waypoints can be deleted from the internal database using the Waypoint Manager (one at a time) or Reset>Delete All Waypoints

- Any waypoints in the internal database will be dumped to \Garmin\GPX\Current\current.gpx when you connect to your computer

What does all this mean?

1) Waypoints created on the unit (call them field waypoints) and loaded via gpx file are treated the same once they are in the internal database

2) Deleting a gpx file which contained waypoints has no impact on the internal waypoint database

3) Deleting current.gpx has no impact on the internal database, it is purely an output file that gets written every time you plug the unit into your computer

4) Renaming a gpx file (or updating its timestamp) will cause the waypoints in that gpx file to be reloaded into the internal database.

Okay then, how do I manage waypoints on the unit?

There are lots of ways, but here's what I do:

1) For a core set of waypoints (ie. Home, Parent's House, Camp, etc) that I always want on the unit -- I load them as custom POIs so I never have to worry about managing them. That way I'm not reloading them onto the unit after I delete my waypoints.

2) I use the GSAK CO/OR export macro and only export child waypoints as custom POIs. Again this keeps the child waypoints out of the internal waypoint database so I don't have to worry about mixing them with field waypoints.

3) That only leaves me with field waypoints in the internal waypoint database. If I want these on my computer then I upload current.gpx and stash them away for later.

4) Every few weeks, after I've done step 4), I'll purge the internal database (Reset>Delete All Waypoints)

5) Every now and then I'll have a few field waypoints that I want to keep on the unit after doing steps 3 and 4. If for example, I'm in the middle of a long multi-cache I might want to load those field waypoints back onto the unit. I'll reload this set of waypoints as a gpx file into \Garmin\GPX and keep them on the unit until I'm done with them. Once I'm done I delete the gpx file and purge the waypoints as part of steps 3 and 4.

Really the trick is to keep waypoints that come from the computer out of the waypoint databases and treat them as POIs (which is what they really are, I never edit them on the unit). That way managing your field waypoints is a much easier task.

Probably too much information but maybe it'll help a few people!