AT what point do you log "needs maintenance"?

KTM318

I hope its not a silly question, but today I found a cache that was hidden, but open, no log book and not closed. I closed it and rehid. In my post I stated about the missing log book, but should I post a needs maintenance as well? (Maybe I should carry a couple spares [(;] ) New to this and don't want to be overbearing haha!! Thanks everyone!

A lot of us carry small repair kits and replace log books, or micro containers etc. I also carry a few ziploc bags.

In this case, I would log a NM as there is a need for a new log book. If another cacher replaces the log book, the CO can always remove the NM.

Yep. Post a Needs Maintenance.

I tend to post a Needs Maintenance if its wet/grotty etc as well as a found log.

It seems some owners don't read Found logs to find out the log book is wet/full/missing /the cache has problems.

Needs Maintenace also lets other cachers know there may be a problem.

I carry spare log sheets, in case the log book is full/too wet, means the next cachers have something to write on, and gives the cache owner breathing space to sort things out.

I have started carrying a few spare log sheets and appropriate sized zip lock baggies to help the cache owner out with that type of minor maintenance. I will remark in my log that I did this, but that the owner might want to check on it. If the cache is in dire disrepair, then I will log a Needs Maintenance.

Being new to this game, I have started to carry some extra paper for logs. Being in NE Ohio, you tend to find alot of wet logs. And sometimes wet caches. That's just the way it is. Since we started in January, I have learned with the help of other cachers here, to give the CO a chance to get out in "good weather" to tune up their cache's. Sometimes, you just have to make the call. I believe if your going to stash a cache, then be ready to take care of it.