1st gen iPhone Navigate problem

Fuhs Family

My family is new to this but, are excited to find our first cache (we tried the other day unsuccessfully :laughing: ). Anyway, we are using my 1st gen iPhone but, I can't seem to get the Navigate window to function.

It opens fine but, the compass never moves and our current location is not listed in the window. The distance and accuracy also don't change??

Any help would be appreciated.

1st gen iPhone doesn't have GPS, it does have the ability to approximate your location using cel phone towers and wifi hotspots for reference. This works pretty well in urban areas, and can get your location down to a few hundred to a thousand feet. In the country, not so good.

I used the Geocaching.com application on my iPhone for paperless caching. I have all the local caches saved as POI's in my GPS. I pull up the list on the iPhone and browse the names and then look at them on my GPS map. I read clues and descriptions and past logs on the phone. This is nice because it's kept me from accidentally going after a few "don't go to this address, solve this puzzle instead" caches that I thought were nearby.

i just started caching last week i have a 1st gen iphone and just look up the coordinates and save em ive found 3 caches this way so far, 2 of those today i plan on getting a handheld unit eventually the maps on the iphone isnt accurate enough the first one i found was about 100ft from the coordinates given but it is a challenge, id actually like to see how many i can find this way im the kind of person who likes a challenge :P