Milestone cache suggestions? Possible trip to W. PA for AGT caches?

ThirstyMick

Since we changed the clocks, PolskiKrol has been going nuts geocaching after work without me. I just noticed that he's getting pretty close to 2000, and if he keeps up this pace will probably be hitting his milestone next weekend!

We've been trying to come up with an epic cache and were considering (depending on temperature) Island Hopper Multi which seems like a pretty cool one.

There's an unfound earthcache near Kathadin (which we would hike up) Rivers in Stone that may be cool, but it's a 10 hour drive, and that may be a bit much for a 2 day weekend. Also, it's probably still too cold in Maine for me (it's still too cold in New Jersey for me).

George has been bugging me since GCF to get back out to Western PA and finish up the Allegheny Geotrail. We could just pick a nice one of those for his milestone, if we end up going out there. Also a bit of a drive, but less so than northern Maine!

Anybody have any other suggestions for a good one to go for?

Anybody interested in joining us for either a 10 hour drive, a 6 hour drive, or a more local cache?

I feel I must warn you though, if we spend the weekend somewhere, there will be lots of hiking, plenty of brewpubbing and not too much sleeping.

Island Hopper is a very neat cache to do and a wonderful day of paddling. I can't remember if he did Secaucus Panorama or not but if not that would be an excellent choice. Old Glory NJ Style is a good one as well. Not sure of what you guys have done.

Secaucus Panorama was definitely one of my favorites :laughing: We actually did it in the dark!

Old Glory - NJ Style has a nice gallery, thanks for the tip :rolleyes:

If you guys are thinking about coming out west you should definately drive the extra hour and a half to do some caches in Oglebay Park in Wheeling WV. After you hit the ones you want of course. I live about a mile from Oglebay and the area around it has more caches in it then Roosevelt Park LOL. Just a suggestion though. I hope you both remember meeting me at one of the TTB&B events

If you guys are thinking about coming out west you should definately drive the extra hour and a half to do some caches in Oglebay Park in Wheeling WV. After you hit the ones you want of course. I live about a mile from Oglebay and the area around it has more caches in it then Roosevelt Park LOL. Just a suggestion though. I hope you both remember meeting me at one of the TTB&B events

Nope not at all :D (sarcasm, of course we remember ya) I hope you're doing well in West Virginia!!

Here is a great one that will surely keep you busy for the day and should be exciting:

GC1G9VT Extreme Hiking & Climbing Cache

:mellow::wacko::wacko::D:D

Though I wouldn't mind the trip to Nevada!

I would be torn between Aircrash 3 (previous suggestion) and Aircrash 4 . I found 4 the most formidable single cache challenge for me to date. IF you are up for a long hike, the challenge of finding a path the works (you'll spend at least 3+ hours bushwhacking) then this would make a great cache....

He should've called himself the Bushwack-King instead of the Polish King :D But I suppose I'm one to talk :D

I think right now it's between island hopper and one of the aircrashes, anyone interested in joining us for either?

I would consider the Wawayanda Kayak, but I understand it is in need of maintenance as it is missing the first stage and the finders have had top resort to the burn method.

Aircrash is a little GU for those of us with limited window of opportunity, as it is quite a ways away.

I thought we showed him the wisdom of the elders when we taught him the pleasantry of gamboling on woods roads as opposed to the bushwhack.

If has not learned that lesson, then I would recommend Psycho Urban 13 :blink:

I would be torn between Aircrash 3 (previous suggestion) and Aircrash 4 . I found 4 the most formidable single cache challenge for me to date. IF you are up for a long hike, the challenge of finding a path the works (you'll spend at least 3+ hours bushwhacking) then this would make a great cache....

Aircrash 4 looks like an awesome idea for a road trip!

Sorry for not posting an update, we didn't head to any of the options this past weekend. It seems I jumped the gun. George didn't get out as much during last week as I thought he would.

As of our last discussion, I think we'll be heading up to Island Hopper next saturday. Though aircrash 4 looks like a trip we may need to make in the near future!

Is that rain or shine?

Yup, currently on #1999 and planning on doing island hopper on Saturday rain or shine. What time would you be planning on getting there? If there is time in the late afternoon might even do a small loop north of the lake.

I have soccer practice until 9:30 but if it's raining hard enough that may be canceled. May need a partner for the canoe if it's windy. Someone who won't mind me doing a little fishing during the hunt.

There are just so many pluses to this excursion.

Rain

Wind

Cold

Missing Waypoints

Hard Paddling

Makes me wish I didn't have to work . Congrats George.

And of course to seal the deal, there is the Dan Akroyd Vodka Bottle Signing Event at Gary's Wines on Rt 23 in Wayne tomorrow. He really needs to get back to the Ghost Buster thing. :laughing:

Edited by Packanack

Many thanks for the support today ThirstyMick, BrianSnat & SteelNDirt! I know the weather this morning looked dismal however we were quite lucky after hitting the water with the watercraft! Had a spectacular time today and will cherish the memories!

Full details of the adventure can be read about in my post: PK's #2000.

Kayaking TrackLog Statistics

Length: 3.2 mi

Area: 81489 sq ft

Elapsed Time: 3:28:55

Avg. Speed: 0.9 mph

Note: Does not count datapoints for Stage 1 replacement as the GPS was left in the car.

Hiking TrackLog Statistics

Length: 5.8 mi

Area: 1.4 sq mi

Elapsed Time: 2:35:36

Avg. Speed: 2 mph

What all do you have done in AGT's? I might be able to score ya more. Just need to know when you would like to do them. You supply the vehicle, and I will take you anywhere to find caches. Depending on how many you need to finish all 10 counties up, we may even be able to complete them all. I can even point out which ones would make it easy to complete them all. But only from the list of ones I have done and a few others I know of.

Lemme know.

In the morning, the rain was really coming down... I was nervous about the plan but George assured me that it was going to clear up by noon... Crawling up 17 toward Campmor to try on climbing shoes we decided there was no way we'd make noon so we sent Brian a text asking if we could push it back to 1.. which he agreed to, and then after trying on 30 or so pairs of shoes (I have odd feet) we were late anyway! Sorry Brian! But the good thing about that was the sun was just starting to peek out through the clouds :rolleyes: It ended up being a lovely day. The water was cold, but the air was fine.

My cheap camera makes it look cloudier than it was (Brians pictures look a lot better) but I wasn't gonna bring the good camera on the kayak!

d39752d0-9151-46bb-9ce9-31bbef283fff.jpg

George

efd3aa47-8f8a-4205-9fd7-f71a69a9fdd9.jpg

Brian and our friend Chris (who goes by SteelNDirt but never logs)

58af3376-cd0c-45ce-b0e3-fed287738f75.jpg

View

5ad81099-7703-4553-9472-edb0cf6e5ff6.jpg

Goose sittng on eggs, guarding stage 2, peeking curiously at me. She started hissing shortly after.

Congratulations on the milestone George :lol:

What all do you have done in AGT's? I might be able to score ya more. Just need to know when you would like to do them. You supply the vehicle, and I will take you anywhere to find caches. Depending on how many you need to finish all 10 counties up, we may even be able to complete them all. I can even point out which ones would make it easy to complete them all. But only from the list of ones I have done and a few others I know of.

Lemme know.

I think it was Venango County that we finished. We'll probably be headed back out there in a few weeks, George really wants to finish it. I'll let you know, thanks for the offer :mad: