Which Blackberry?

VWDave

I recently bought a LG Dare on my Verizon plan. My second phone needs updating and plan on looking at the Blackberry Storm. Curious as to what other cachers or using in the Blackberry line.

The VZW BB's have GPS locked out unless you pay for VZNav. They are also next to worthless with third party GPS apps.

The only alternative is to buy a bluetooth GPS reciever puck such as the Freedom 2000.

It sucks, I got the BB 8330 because it has an internal GPSr. I should have put a bit more research into the purchase. :o

I recently bought a LG Dare on my Verizon plan. My second phone needs updating and plan on looking at the Blackberry Storm. Curious as to what other cachers or using in the Blackberry line.

The VZW BB's have GPS locked out unless you pay for VZNav. They are also next to worthless with third party GPS apps.

The only alternative is to buy a bluetooth GPS reciever puck such as the Freedom 2000.

It sucks, I got the BB 8330 because it has an internal GPSr. I should have put a bit more research into the purchase. :o

I have a BBerry 8330 from Sprint and the GPS works fine. I have the Garmin For Blackberry loaded on it, and it works very similarly to a Nuvi. It is not a replacement for a Nuvi or a good handheld, but it works good in a pinch.

I've got a Blackberry Curve 8900 and have recently downloaded Cacheberry for it. I went out today and everything worked great. Complete paperless caching and the GPS worked great too.

My only problem is using quite an expensive piece of tech, and one that isn't waterproof, as my main caching GPSr. but as a backup to the Garmin Vista it's a great way of having all the information of the cache on hand, and the internet only a click away.

the GPS is unlocked. I use Garmin Mobile for driving no problem ($100 for lifetime of device instead of $10 a month). I tried cacheberry for awhile but since it lacked the arrow to point the way I dropped it. Also it only worked half screen since it was set up for the old style phones with a small screen. Was hoping it would be full screen. It looks like that is just a record keeping program. I was hoping it had all the features of Cachemate which I used on my iQue for some time.

I tried cacheberry for awhile but since it lacked the arrow to point the way I dropped it. Also it only worked half screen since it was set up for the old style phones with a small screen. Was hoping it would be full screen. It looks like that is just a record keeping program.

CacheBerry now has a special version for the Storm which supports all of the Storm features like orientation, touch and multi-touch and also has a full screen SVG Geocaching compass in addition to complete GPX management and other features like mapping support, field notes etc..

OTA at www.cacheberry.com/beta, active forum at www.zitafarm.com/forum

BTW, the "half-screen" mode (with permanent keyboard) is called "compatibility mode" and is what you get when running any application not compiled for OS 4.7, unforunately there is a bug in the OS which means this mode is sometimes "stuck" on even for native apps, you can disable it via BB Options --> Advanced Options --> Applications.

I just got the Storm with Verizon and I loaded geocache navigator by trimble on it today and it works great. It links directly to geocache.com and give me the caches near me no matter where I am traveling and has a compass and bullseye to help find it while searching. I also like the maps feature because I can see the cache on a road map or topo map or satellite photo. Having the ability to log it right then and there is also a sweet feature.

GPS is unlocked with my VZW 8330 but it only works with BBMaps. What carriers are you guys using with your BB's?

BTW, I upgraded the OS to unlock the GPS.

Actually it's still locked. The GPS only works with BBMaps. I loaded an app from APP World called Where. Didn't work. Verizon still wants you to pay to use VZ Nav. That's why they crippled the GPS. I think that's criminal!

I just got the Storm with Verizon and I loaded geocache navigator by trimble on it today and it works great. It links directly to geocache.com and give me the caches near me no matter where I am traveling and has a compass and bullseye to help find it while searching. I also like the maps feature because I can see the cache on a road map or topo map or satellite photo. Having the ability to log it right then and there is also a sweet feature.

firebird4227- Which version of Geocahce Navigator did you load on your Storm, and do you have the link? TIA

I started using a program that is offered by donation called Blackstar with my BB storm. It works excellent and I've found 12 caches so far using it. :D

I have just started to use a BB8330 curve W/Blackstar as the navigator & BCaching for the caches and info. Seems to work fine. I had my Delorme PN-20 at GZ and the BB said it was 13'. Which ones right I don't know. It seems good enough as a back up. :D

JMHO

Curve 8310 & BlackStar.

I was using TrekBuddy, but i've found that searching for a cache is so much more fun without a map (but I do use B*'s "show in googlemaps" feature to get a general idea at times).

I'm still on the fence about using B*'s bcaching.com feature to log and just going to the GC wap site to do it. vive la choice :P