Is this a multi or a puzzle?

Fustrate

My friends and I are thinking of putting out another themed puzzle-type multicache around our valley this summer, and were wondering what type of cache it would qualify as. There are four parts, each of which is found by a clue instead of coordinates, and once you've found them all, you use some information about them to find the last one. Seeing as there are five caches involved (four small, one large) but there's a big puzzle element, we're torn 2-3 on which way to go (3 puzzle, 2 multi).

Name of the cahe? "Angels & Demons" :laughing: if you've read the book, you'll know exactly what we're planning on doing.

As I read it the first thing that came to my mind was puzzle cache.

My friends and I are thinking of putting out another themed puzzle-type multicache around our valley this summer, and were wondering what type of cache it would qualify as. There are four parts, each of which is found by a clue instead of coordinates, and once you've found them all, you use some information about them to find the last one. Seeing as there are five caches involved (four small, one large) but there's a big puzzle element, we're torn 2-3 on which way to go (3 puzzle, 2 multi).

Name of the cahe? "Angels & Demons" :laughing: if you've read the book, you'll know exactly what we're planning on doing.

It won't be a geocache at all, unless you use a GPS at some point in the search.

The way your description reads to me is that you are going to have 3 or 4 caches that have clues to a final cache. Are you planning on listing all the stages individually? If that is the case, i would say the first 3 or 4 caches would be traditional with the final listed as a mystery. If you are planning on making it 1 cache, then it would be a puzzle IMO

Sounds like the Clue series in San Antonio. 5 caches that are listed separately and each log sheet has a clue ala the board game on "where he victim was murdered" when you put them together you get the location of the final cache, which is not listed at all. Each cache can be done individually even if the cacher (like me) doesn't bother to look for the 6th. Each is listed as a traditional.

If the coordinates on the listing page lead you to the first in a series of caches tied together on a single listing page then it is a multicache by definition. Many multis have some kind of calculation or clue to get to the next stage.

From the guidelines:

Multi-Caches

There are many variations to multi-stage caches. The most common is that in which the first container or waypoint contains or provides coordinates to the next location. Another popular variant is a series of multiple waypoints, each of which provide partial coordinates for the final cache’s position. Please provide the coordinates of all stages of the multicache. The posted coordinates are for the first stage. Use the "Additional Waypoints" feature when submitting the multi-cache coordinates for the other stages. If you don't want the coordinates for the rest of the stages displayed, be sure to mark them as "hidden". Doing this will hide the coordinates from view by anyone except the owner and website volunteers.

Offset caches are a variation on multi-caches. They are listed as a multi-cache when selecting a cache type. They are not found by simply going to some coordinates and finding a cache there. With the offset cache the published coordinates could be of an existing historical monument, plaque, or even a benchmark that you would like to have your cache hunter visit. At this spot, the hunter looks for numbers or information already appearing on the marker or on some part of the marker or site (geocachers NEVER deface public or private property). The geocacher is then able to manipulate these numbers or information using instructions posted on the cache page to continue the hunt.

Mystery or Puzzle Caches

The "catch-all" of cache types, this form of cache often involves complicated puzzles that you will first need to solve in order to determine the coordinates. The information needed to solve the puzzle must be available to the general caching community and the puzzle should be solvable from the information provided on the cache page.

Since the information needed to solve the puzzle(s) is NOT found on the cache listing page and each stage has clues to the next stage - just feels like Multi is the right answer.

If there is an actual container at every stage, then it's a multi. If there are only clues at every stage, then I vote mystery.

I have a cache that is listed as a mystery. The coordinates lead you to a first clue written on a sign. (Yes I have permission...) That clue leads you to another clue, which in turn leads you to yet another clue, etc. The answer to each clue is then used to build coordinates that will eventually lead you to the actual container.

Tournesol et Rackham le Rouge

It is listed as a 4.5/1.5, takes an average of 3 hours and a trip to the local library to complete, and people love it.

Edited by Userzero

Probably not.

Letterbox Hybrid

Letterboxing is another form of treasure hunting that uses clues to direct hunters to a hidden container. Each letterbox contains a stamp which is the signature for that box. Most letterboxers have their own personal stamps and personal logbooks. They stamp the letterbox logbook with their personal stamp, and use the stamp contained in the letterbox to "sign" their personal logbook.

Letterbox hybrids are a mixture of letterbox and geocache. They should contain a signature stamp that stays with the box, and they must conform to the guidelines for geocaches and therefore must contain a logbook and involve GPS use as an integral part of the hunt. A letterbox hybrid cannot be designed to be found using only clues. Whether or not the letterbox hybrid contains trade items is up to the owner. In most cases personal stamp and personal logbook are not necessary to be a seeker of a letterbox hybrid.

each of which is found by a clue instead of coordinates

I think this is going to be your biggest hangup, as the reviewers are going to require GPS usage "as an integral part of the hunt."

well here's a better explanation of what we want to do:

1st cache (small/altoids):

coordinates NEARBY the cache, and a clue to the location (Earth themed)

Make note of the coordinates!

2nd cache (small/altoids):

accessible by a clue having to do with the area's history and the "Air" element

Jumbled coordinates as a hint

Make note of the coordinates again, very important

3rd cache (small/altoids):

accessible by a clue having to do with the area's history and the "Fire" element

4th cache (small/altoids):

accessible by a clue having to do with the area's history and the "Water" element

Final cache (large ammo box or 5 gallon bucket):

Map the four locations on a map (might require a library), and then find where they all intersect. This is the location of the final cache.

So yes, there would be coordinates involved, just not in the typical manner.

Edited by Fustrate

It sounds like a mystery/puzzle to me, based on the need to find stages based on "jumbled coordinates" and "clues" and "logical reasoning".

To me, the difference between a multi and a puzzle with multiple stages is that anyone should be able to follow the instructions to get to all the stages of a multi, but that a puzzle with multiple stages requires some puzzle solving to get to one or more of the stages.

I don't think the distinction is whether there is a container at the posted coordinates. I've seen multis with no container at the posted coordinates (offset caches are a typical example). And I've seen puzzles with containers at the posted coordinates.

accessible by a clue having to do with the area's history and the "Fire" element

accessible by a clue having to do with the area's history and the "Water" element

Map the four locations on a map (might require a library), and then find where they all intersect. This is the location of the final cache.

This sounds a lot like it would be a puzzle/mystery. Some times there seems to be a thin distinction between the two. Can you log each stage/cache individually? If you can log the 1st Cache on its own, I would say it would be labeled as a Traditional, but then each subsequent cache relies on the previous so they would be Puzzles.

well here's a better explanation of what we want to do:

Hmmmmm. Puzzle. All-the-way plumb.

See, it's got two 2nd stages & no 4th....unless you go 1-2-3-then back to 2....but it says "Map the four locations..." & with no cross there's no intersect.....so yeah, I'm pretty puzzled.

Oh WAIT!! It's in a stump, ain't it?!?

:laughing:

~*

4th cache (small/altoids):

This sounds a lot like it would be a puzzle/mystery. Some times there seems to be a thin distinction between the two. Can you log each stage/cache individually? If you can log the 1st Cache on its own, I would say it would be labeled as a Traditional, but then each subsequent cache relies on the previous so they would be Puzzles.

No, there would only be a log in the final cache. We're now thinking of seperating the two pairs by ~100 and ~75 miles, but keep the intersection roughly the same. Too bad we have to wait until late June for two of the people to return :laughing:

and I copypasta'd wrong, sheesh! It's 4!

Sounds like the Clue series in San Antonio. 5 caches that are listed separately and each log sheet has a clue ala the board game on "where he victim was murdered" when you put them together you get the location of the final cache, which is not listed at all. Each cache can be done individually even if the cacher (like me) doesn't bother to look for the 6th. Each is listed as a traditional.

We have two series like that in utah here. The CLOO Game series(there are also a few in other states by that user too), and the ring series inwhich there are five groups. Each group has 3-5 caches in it. Each one has a number in it that you have to use for solving the location to the such and such "Master" cache for that category. Each category leader has a number in too. They point to the "One ring to rule them all-Master cache".

As for the cache question, I would guess that it would qualify as a puzzle/multi because you have several different location that you have to visit, and you are using a GPS for at least one of them. Anyway, thanks, and I hope that you get this figured out so that you can do the cache (series?) you want to do. Anyway, thanks and have agreat day. gwf :laughing: