NSW Parks Update - March 2009

The Spindoctors

Geocaching NSW recently began negotiations with NSW Parks and Wildlife Service regarding the current ban of geocaching on their managed land.

Since our initial meeting in January 2009, there have been some developments.

The good news is that the Executive Director of NPWS has agreed to a review of the geocaching policy, which may result in some changes.

NPWS have informed us that the next step will be a meeting of the Policy Reference Group, who are responsible for any changes to NPWS policy. The timing of this is yet to be determined, but is expected to occur in the next month.

At this stage, NPWS are unable to provide any indication of what possible restrictions (i.e. form of regulation) might be imposed if the ban is to be reversed, but will keep us informed.

We have also received clarification of NPWS stance on virtuals, EarthCaches and waypoints for multis on NPWS managed land.

Their response is:

a geocaching activity that does not leave any object in the park is not geocaching as we defined it when we banned it.

So, a multi-stage geocache that involved reading a sign in a park to discover a cache outside the park is not, in my opinion, an activity which is covered by the ban.

Similarly, I have advised one of our field staff that a virtual cache [including EarthCache] was, in my opinion, also not covered by the ban.

This would mean that geocachers may began a multi-cache in a NSW Park, as long as nothing is left, modified or damaged inside the park and the container is outside the park’s boundaries.

EarthCaches still require land owner approval (as per EarthCahing guidelines), and this should be sought from the ranger of the relevant National Park.

For more - go to: http://www.geocachingnsw.asn.au/index.php/...date-march-2009

Edited by The Spindoctors