2009 Groundspeak Lackeys Geocoin

Shop Geocaching

Until now, how many lackey versions are out? The 2005, the 2007 and the new one?

Are the luckeys minted every 2 years? ..05, ..07 ..09.....???

Was the 2005 like the 2007 one....I mean you couldn't adopt it, it was not for sale etc?

Hmm.... I do not think there are any 2005 Lackeys out there any more... Am I right? This coin is probably more difficult to find... :mellow:

I bought 1 and a sticker, and i might buy some more. I really don't understand why people get upset when Groundspeak sells things (coins, shirts, premium memberships, ...). Don't they deserve to make a little money? It is a full time job for most of the lackeys, should they not get paid? I like to get paid for ding my job.

So I try to support the people who support my geocaching habit. I buy coins, TBs, t-shirts, and I am a premium member. They put a lot of effort into this and i think they deserve our support.

Thanks Groundspeak!

Groundspeak could make ANYTHING and sell it for a profit, some of us simply feel these are like the Moun10bike of GS coins! Would you feel OK with the Moun10Bikes suddenly being sold and readily available to all?

I'm more than happy to support GS, I harbor no grudge for someone being paid, but there's more ways than offering this special coin up for sale! In fact, it's a total 360 from their own wishes (I believe that's why the previous year's LACKEYs were activated before being given out). I know it now makes the earlier versions even more special to me!

I would be perfectly happy if Moun10Bike sold his version 4 coins, then I would be able to get one.

The Lackey coins have always been desirable in the past. Who can fault them for providing what people want. Supply and Demand as I see it. People want a Lackey coin, Groundspeak provides them with the chance to purchase one. You don't have to buy one, they appear to still be giving them out at events and such.

My 2005 and 2007 Lackey coins are special to me and always will be because of the story behind them and who gave them to me. Does the fact that they are selling the 2009 make my coins worth any less? Not to me.

Groundspeak probably did not want the coins sold for the same reason that many people don't want their personal coins sold. They were gifts! If you gave someone a gift, would you want them to sell and profit from your generosity? I don't think that Groundspeak activated them just to make them "special", they activated them so they wouldn't be sold.

If i was given one of the 2009 Lackeys as a gift, it would just as special to me as any of the other Lackey coins that I have.

Disclaimer: My opinion is only mine.

I bought 1 and a sticker, and i might buy some more. I really don't understand why people get upset when Groundspeak sells things (coins, shirts, premium memberships, ...). Don't they deserve to make a little money? It is a full time job for most of the lackeys, should they not get paid? I like to get paid for ding my job.

So I try to support the people who support my geocaching habit. I buy coins, TBs, t-shirts, and I am a premium member. They put a lot of effort into this and i think they deserve our support.

Thanks Groundspeak!

Groundspeak could make ANYTHING and sell it for a profit, some of us simply feel these are like the Moun10bike of GS coins! Would you feel OK with the Moun10Bikes suddenly being sold and readily available to all?

I'm more than happy to support GS, I harbor no grudge for someone being paid, but there's more ways than offering this special coin up for sale! In fact, it's a total 360 from their own wishes (I believe that's why the previous year's LACKEYs were activated before being given out). I know it now makes the earlier versions even more special to me!

I would be perfectly happy if Moun10Bike sold his version 4 coins, then I would be able to get one.

The Lackey coins have always been desirable in the past. Who can fault them for providing what people want. Supply and Demand as I see it. People want a Lackey coin, Groundspeak provides them with the chance to purchase one. You don't have to buy one, they appear to still be giving them out at events and such.

My 2005 and 2007 Lackey coins are special to me and always will be because of the story behind them and who gave them to me. Does the fact that they are selling the 2009 make my coins worth any less? Not to me.

Groundspeak probably did not want the coins sold for the same reason that many people don't want their personal coins sold. They were gifts! If you gave someone a gift, would you want them to sell and profit from your generosity? I don't think that Groundspeak activated them just to make them "special", they activated them so they wouldn't be sold.

If i was given one of the 2009 Lackeys as a gift, it would just as special to me as any of the other Lackey coins that I have.

Disclaimer: My opinion is only mine.

Then we agree since that's what I also said! Groundspeak has not sold these, in fact, they activated the last round to make them less likely to be sold. This means to me that they are special coins and should be treated as such! The fact that not every person out there could simply buy one to get one made them even more unique and specail. Now, the new edition is sold?

I'll give an example...don't think I am bashing this coin though:

The Yemon Yime coins! When I received my original YY, I was (and am) in heaven! The coin sits on my desk in a special place, I often find myself picking it up and fondling it! Now, YY came out with the sold editions, which were and are AWESOME, but don't quite hold the same uniquenss or feel as special to me. I own a couple different editions, but none equal up to the very prized original which (I believe) was never sold??

Now, if a 2009 LACKEY were gifted to me, it would be a special coin because of the gift, don't get me wrong...

I'll give an example...don't think I am bashing this coin though:

The Yemon Yime coins! When I received my original YY, I was (and am) in heaven! The coin sits on my desk in a special place, I often find myself picking it up and fondling it! Now, YY came out with the sold editions, which were and are AWESOME, but don't quite hold the same uniquenss or feel as special to me. I own a couple different editions, but none equal up to the very prized original which (I believe) was never sold??

Now, if a 2009 LACKEY were gifted to me, it would be a special coin because of the gift, don't get me wrong...

Well then, from my own experience I can tell you this. My own personal reasons for creating a "for sale" edition of my coins was for two reasons:

1. So that anyone who wanted a "Yime" could get one.

I was (and still am) blown away by people's fondness for these things. I'm deeply honored to have created something that geocoin collectors seem to enjoy so much. The "One Yime" coins were specifically meant to be a trader and/or cache swag, therefore I didn't make all that many of them. And since I've grown to respect the original principals of the hobby, I will never make more of that specific coin. So I figured it was time to make a new "replacement" version in the same shape that could be available to anyone that might have wanted one.

2. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em...

To put it bluntly, I got tired of seeing my coins popping up on eBay and watching others profit from them. It's very difficult to explain, and it's even more difficult to sympathize with...but there's a distinct feeling of being "used" associated with it.

Here's an example: My cousin had been begging me to go to a Steeler's NFL game. I couldn't go one week, so I gave him the tickets. I could've easily made a couple hundred bucks by selling them, but I figured this was a good "friendly" deed. Found out later that he sold 'em for that couple hundred in the parking lot, and he watched the game from a nearby bar. :o I no longer give away my tickets. :laughing:

So there's a couple of possible reasons why Groundspeak's offering Lackey Coins this way. Not everyone has been able to own one, so they're making them easily available to everyone.

I think that's a pretty good option for would-be collectors.

I think a lot of people would be placated if someone from Groundspeak would just take the time to explain why they chose to sell this one when all the others have been something you need to pretty much get by hand from a lackey.

Of course I'm sure there's going to be people who say Groundspeak has no responsibility to explain the decision. :o

I don't see a reason why Groundspeak has to make any statements to us about why they are selling the coins. I think it is funny that people want to be seen as special, "the chosen ones" in receiving the coins. It makes them feel good that they received one and don't want others to share in that "special" treasure. The lackey coins were becoming quite easy to come by in my opinion. I saw that more and more events had them, people were passing them around like candy. I have had three over the past year. I gave them all away to others who I felt would enjoy them more. I also had a volunteer coin that I tried to set free. These again are just coins so don't be upset when Groundspeak says instead of just a few people getting them, the masses can have them.

Making them available in unlimited quantities doesn't make them less special unless you think they are special because others don't have them.

Edited by LadeBear68

I don't see a reason why Groundspeak has to make any statements to us about why they are selling the coins. I think it is funny that people want to be seen as special, "the chosen ones" in receiving the coins. It makes them feel good that they received one and don't want others to share in that "special" treasure. The lackey coins were becoming quite easy to come by in my opinion. I saw that more and more events had them, people were passing them around like candy. I have had three over the past year. I gave them all away to others who I felt would enjoy them more. I also had a volunteer coin that I tried to set free. These again are just coins so don't be upset when Groundspeak says instead of just a few people getting them, the masses can have them.

Making them available in unlimited quantities doesn't make them less special unless you think they are special because others don't have them.

My understanding was that these coins were gifted as a way of saying thank you for services provided or someones contribution to geocaching, if, as you say, they are freely available to anyone who has put their hand out for one then imho they don't have any special status. Groundspeak however told me directly that these coins were given as gifts and because of that they did not wish to see any of them sold. Is it so surprising that people are confused ?

Yup, that's pretty much the concept behind making something limited right there. :unsure:

Is a penny from today as special as an Indian head penny from the 1800's? Nope. Something you can get any amount of you want just isn't special.

Edited by Vargseld? ™

Yes, I understand the concept of limited but what I see is people being upset because their coins aren't special if others can buy them. There is a difference between something being special because of who or why it was given to you and being special because I have something you can't get or don't have.

Edited by LadeBear68

I think who it's from and why AND the fact that many others don't have a Lackey coin both go hand in hand for these coins. I bet that's what makes them special for most everyone who actually took initiative to travel to Seattle or met a Lackey to get one. There's a lot of things, all combined, that made them special. Selling them negates all that for me and I'm sure many others who are just not speaking up.

There's nothing special about paying from a computer and getting something in the mail. You see people being upset because their coins aren't special if others can buy them, I see people who think it's a great idea because now they don't have to meet a Lackey or drive to Seattle which (I'm assuming) was Groundspeak's original intent way back in 2005 with the creation of the first Lackey coins.

Edited by Vargseld? ™

My understanding was that these coins were gifted as a way of saying thank you for services provided or someones contribution to geocaching, if, as you say, they are freely available to anyone who has put their hand out for one then imho they don't have any special status. Groundspeak however told me directly that these coins were given as gifts and because of that they did not wish to see any of them sold. Is it so surprising that people are confused ?

I think this pretty much sums it up for me. The only reason these coins ever reached the status they did was that they were gifted only. I know both of mine were gifts directly from Groundspeak personnel so they are extra-special to me.

This new one will be about as special to me as a TravelBug Tag. Trackable, but that's about it. :unsure:

Edited by fox-and-the-hound

Yes, I understand the concept of limited but what I see is people being upset because their coins aren't special if others can buy them. There is a difference between something being special because of who or why it was given to you and being special because I have something you can't get or don't have.

That's not even CLOSE to my thought on this...just so everyone knows! :unsure: I feel that it's an honor to own the originals because you had to actually do something (meet a LACKEY, do something special and get recognition etc)....now, they're just another common coin up for sale!

And yes, even the most common of coins can be special when given to you by someone you consider special...I don't consider my mail lady or the paypal staff special though :)

I think this pretty much sums it up for me. The only reason these coins ever reached the status they did was that they were gifted only. I know both of mine were gifts directly from Groundspeak personnel so they are extra-special to me.

This new one will be about as special to me as a TravelBug Tag. Trackable, but that's about it. :unsure:

Exactly!!

You can please some of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time.

:unsure::blink::P

Yes, the previous Lackey coins were given as gifts. These new ones were to let the collecting community have the ability to own one. They are not the same from year to year. Groundspeak has added a few Lackeys since the first coin.

As far as I can see this coin is not available to non-american buyers at the moment. I haven't found a single shop on the official distributors list that is selling these coins. I don't really understand why Groundspeak excludes so many people that might be interested in this coin.

By the way, the first one already is to be sold on eb**.

You can please some of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time.

Yes, the previous Lackey coins were given as gifts. These new ones were to let the collecting community have the ability to own one. They are not the same from year to year. Groundspeak has added a few Lackeys since the first coin.

Sometimes, it's not about pleasing everyone...just saying!

The collecting community always had the ability to own one. We just had to go to some effort on the part of the community to be rewarded. We held those rewards (and still do) in high regard. Buying a reward just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. It's akin to buying myself a trophy to show off even if I didn't earn it. :)

And some of the lackeys that were in 2007 are not now... some others are in.... At least according to what I see in the photo, right? I do not have the 2009 but I have the 2007! I have the feeling that in 2009 they are 25 and in 2007 26 lackeys??

I do nto knwo for the 2005 version! I do not have it too! :)

I believe they didn't put the names this time because now they are all in one side! So it was not possible to put all 25 names in one side!

Onthe other, they had to put the symbols of all the games Groundspeak has!! It is like an advertisment too! :yikes: So... <_<

http://www.cacheboxstore.com/trackables/ge...eaklackeys.html

has anyone else noticed this? I have a 2007 now so can resist this little where's Wally coin which btw is the first to not feature the names - perhaps we can get a little map for that?

Why would you not go to the Groundspeak store itself to purchase these?

Perhaps if you're overseas? :) Unless it's been changed, I don't think GS ships outside of the US.

because i didn't know it was on the GS shop site! as they never bothered to announce it here - not sure whyeee you'd think it would have been a courtesy. or is it contary to rules- any way i thought some of you might like to know.

the international distributors are here: http://shop.Groundspeak.com/shipping.cfm

and i'll try get a hi res pic up on the wiki so you can name that lackey :unsure:

yeah ok - it is all flooding back now- this is why i cane to the forum in the first place - i didn't know where to buy geocoins ( ie was scammed ). We are not supposed to put in links in a post to websites that sell coins without asking permission first ( now done )

***sigh*** Groundspeak is still sort of aiding and abetting unauthorised ebay resellers by making the geocoin purchasing thing convoluted or obscure:

lackey coin is not advertised on the frontpage, and bizarrly Groundspeak is not even listed as a geocoin reseller on the trackables page

Maybe it was mentioned on the other coin forums - i rarely look at those now

yeah ok - it is all flooding back now- this is why i cane to the forum in the first place - i didn't know where to buy geocoins ( ie was scammed ). We are not supposed to put in links in a post to websites that sell coins without asking permission first ( now done )

***sigh*** Groundspeak is still sort of aiding and abetting unauthorised ebay resellers by making the geocoin purchasing thing convoluted or obscure:

lackey coin is not advertised on the frontpage, and bizarrly Groundspeak is not even listed as a geocoin reseller on the trackables page

Maybe it was mentioned on the other coin forums - i rarely look at those now

1. Yes, it was announced when it came on sale.

2. You can post links to geocoins without asking first, IF the geocoin is trackable.

3. Groundspeak has no control over what happens on ebay and if there were any kind of control in place, you couldn't make a coin big enough for all the lackey's needed for that job alone.