2009 Groundspeak Lackeys Geocoin

Shop Geocaching

Guess I speak for myself when I say it just doesn't mean as much unless you are handed one of these... and I so don't mean any offense by that.

That's just me. Speaking out loud as I often do.

~J

I have to agree but it is a very nice design.

I think it is a shame to see these go on general sale, I'm sure Groundspeak could come up with any number of designs for commercial coins, these were originally minted and gifted as a reward to people to say thank you for something special they had done or contributed to 'the game'. As a recipient of such a coin I would treasure it, sure some have popped up on ebay, that's life, but to see Groundspeak profiteering from these coins - kind of devalues the thing, anyone can have one if they trump up ten bucks. No thanks.

Tooey- I kinda have to agree with you, lackys were something special, and they still will be but not so much the 2009s for a few years till they become more rare. . but i wonder whats up with the sudden change?? wonder if are they having cash problems? mabie need to raise money for a new project or something? :laughing:

I don't think that selling geocoins is going to fund a new project or bail out Groundspeak of cash problems so I think we can dispense with the "Groundspeak needs money" theory.

Keep in mind that you can't please everyone. There are few collectors who wouldn't want one of these coins so I assume that Groundspeak chose to try to please the masses.

Sure, some collectors will now devalue these because they are less special and not gifted, but again - you can't please everyone.

Please do keep providing your feedback as you have already as I'm sure both sides (of the coin) are good for them to hear.

I can see trying to please everyone and making them readily available, But whats the point? Make a "Groundspeak" coin or somethin ;) Why sell it? Kinda defeats the purpose at least in my eyes. :D

I just cant rationalize why they decided to sell them...I mean I can, but you catch the drift.

Its a lackey coin, for the Lackeys to give out. Hmmm...just didnt expect that one! B) Makes me wonder how many people ASK for a lackey. :rolleyes: Maybe a special metal will be avail for the Lackeys :laughing:

Guess I speak for myself when I say it just doesn't mean as much unless you are handed one of these... and I so don't mean any offense by that.

That's just me. Speaking out loud as I often do.

~J

I agree. I drove to Seattle to get my Lackey coin and this makes it less special to me, even if it is a different coin from a different year. Will there be anything unique at all for people who visit the HQ now, or are they out of luck in lue of Groundspeak making a few extra bucks? At least I still have my volunteer coin.

The coins seemed to of been given to people who did something special. Well I think the man who takes handicapped children caching is doing something special or the cacher who makes sure there is caches available to them. Groundspeak will never meet them but I think they are as deserving of this unique coin. So I for one thank Groundspeak for making this unique coin available to all the special people who participate in geocaching. Everyone does something to promote geocaching in their own special way so I think the meaning behind the coin still remains.

I don't think that selling geocoins is going to fund a new project or bail out Groundspeak of cash problems so I think we can dispense with the "Groundspeak needs money" theory.

Keep in mind that you can't please everyone. There are few collectors who wouldn't want one of these coins so I assume that Groundspeak chose to try to please the masses.

Sure, some collectors will now devalue these because they are less special and not gifted, but again - you can't please everyone.

Please do keep providing your feedback as you have already as I'm sure both sides (of the coin) are good for them to hear.

well to me it seems the masses are aginst this idea at least from this thread,,, and the profits from the coin WOULD fund a new project or event,, so dont give me that criminy.

and im wondering by your post here are you making it a point that Groundspeak dosent need the money or giving an explanition of why they are on sale. and is that a fact or your opinion??

I don't really think the "masses" are against the idea of selling this coin. We've only had less than 30 posts! I cherish the two that were gifted to me, but I will buy this one. Yes, this one won't mean as much, but it will complete my set.

Groundspeak is certainly allowed to sell these coins. They have given away freely the past two lackey coins. There is nothing wrong with them making some money on this one.

I don't really think the "masses" are against the idea of selling this coin. We've only had less than 30 posts! I cherish the two that were gifted to me, but I will buy this one. Yes, this one won't mean as much, but it will complete my set.

Groundspeak is certainly allowed to sell these coins. They have given away freely the past two lackey coins. There is nothing wrong with them making some money on this one.

I never said there was anything wrong with selling the coin, I questioned "why" and you said yourself it wont mean as much so your in agreement with the rest of us, regardless if you bought the coins or not. :laughing:

FSM brought up the "masses",, im tring to determin if that was his opinion or what Groundspeak says. because due to this thread 30 posts or not ,, wouldent give me the impression that the "masses" agree with him.

Edited by DJ.J.ROCK

I agree it will never mean as much when you have to buy it (that goes for ANY coin) BUT actually, I'm for it :ph34r: My boys will LOVE it!! Finally they will get their own Groundspeak coin! So many people aren't able to get to the headquarters and/or who don't know a lackey would never be able to get one otherwise. I have been fortunate to have been gifted all the previous ones and they will hold high honor in my collection...but its now time for me to think of others who this is their only way of getting one. I do like bigD's idea of giving the lackey's their own metals though...and that way it would keep everyone happy.

I never said there was anything wrong with selling the coin, I questioned "why" and you said yourself it wont mean as much so your in agreement with the rest of us, regardless if you bought the coins or not. :ph34r:

FSM brought up the "masses",, im tring to determin if that was his opinion or what Groundspeak says. because due to this thread 30 posts or not ,, wouldent give me the impression that the "masses" agree with him.

Actually, I'm not in agreement with you. I think I lean more towards LoriDarling's way of thinking!

Will the Lackeys still be giving them as gifts also? I would be so much prouder of one that was gifted to me, than of one that I bought. although, they will be great Coins to gift to others now that they are available. I really hope to hear that the Lackeys will also still be able to gift them to people. I appreciate them being available for sale, but the two that I've recieved as gifts will always hold a more honored spot in my collection.

I never said there was anything wrong with selling the coin, I questioned "why" and you said yourself it wont mean as much so your in agreement with the rest of us, regardless if you bought the coins or not. :ph34r:

Actually, I'm not in agreement with you. I think I lean more towards LoriDarling's way of thinking!

but you both are saying the same thing, " it dosent mean as much" . mabie my"agenst the idea" is the wrong way to put it. eather way my questions have not been answered.

why have Groundspeak decided to sell them?<< looking for a fact and not an opinion.

what metal is it made from?

If we look back, a good number of these coins were sold or traded for coins by others. My guess is Groundspeak make thousands of these coins only to see people get more than one, sell or trade them and get asked for them.

I see no problem with Groundspeak offering these coins to people who want one, at a reasonable cost. If you look around, there are still some Lackeys who have personal geocoins which they hand out to people.

:ph34r: not much heat coming off me,, im simply asking a few questions and stating what i see baised off the postings in the forums,seems FSM blew what i said out of proportion, and i was trying to get more clearifaction, if it was an opinion. then it turned into this coin shouldent be sold,, I dunno where that cane from as i said it"seemed" like peps were agenst the idea< but now know that was mis stated, and not what i ment> and shoulda been along the line of value to a person, eather way it really dosent matter like ya said.. funny thing is if i can figure out what dang metal it is, ill probably buy one or two. :) alls good on my side

:ph34r: not much heat coming off me,, im simply asking a few questions and stating what i see baised off the postings in the forums,seems FSM blew what i said out of proportion, and i was trying to get more clearifaction, if it was an opinion. then it turned into this coin shouldent be sold,, I dunno where that cane from as i said it"seemed" like peps were agenst the idea< but now know that was mis stated, and not what i ment> and shoulda been along the line of value to a person, eather way it really dosent matter like ya said.. funny thing is if i can figure out what dang metal it is, ill probably buy one or two. :) alls good on my side

It looks antique silver to me.

why have Groundspeak decided to sell them?<< looking for a fact and not an opinion.

I can't answer the why, but I can tell you the metal appears to be antique silver. We went to the GPS Maze event today and they were handing them out to people, for free.

Edited to add that they also come unactivated and with the activation code. Unlike last years coin which you got already activated and they kept ownership of.

Edited by coreynjoey

I can't answer the why, but I can tell you the metal appears to be antique silver. We went to the GPS Maze event today and they were handing them out to people, for free.

Edited to add that they also come unactivated and with the activation code. Unlike last years coin which you got already activated and they kept ownership of.

thank you :) thats good to know the extra infos.

i know how about someone else buy one ill send you mine you send me yours an dit will be gifted, and will be special again??? :ph34r:

Honestly, having no intention of ever reselling them (which probably defeats the intended purpose of the gift) I have no problem with them being readily available. If I'm ever gifted one, it won't have less meaning because somebody else paid for one, because of the sentiment of the gift and the memory of meeting the person. I don't really care about the monetary value of it. I have a ton of totally stupid mementos worth practically nothing (not just coins and sig items) that i wouldnt part with for the world.

and I'm sure those of us not cool enough to have been gifted lackeys are happy to be able to get our grubby hands on one :ph34r: I ordered a couple, and a shirt I had my eye on while I was there, glad to support Groundspeak :)

I bought 1 and a sticker, and i might buy some more. I really don't understand why people get upset when Groundspeak sells things (coins, shirts, premium memberships, ...). Don't they deserve to make a little money? It is a full time job for most of the lackeys, should they not get paid? I like to get paid for ding my job.

So I try to support the people who support my geocaching habit. I buy coins, TBs, t-shirts, and I am a premium member. They put a lot of effort into this and i think they deserve our support.

Thanks Groundspeak!

Honestly, having no intention of ever reselling them (which probably defeats the intended purpose of the gift) I have no problem with them being readily available. If I'm ever gifted one, it won't have less meaning because somebody else paid for one, because of the sentiment of the gift and the memory of meeting the person. I don't really care about the monetary value of it. I have a ton of totally stupid mementos worth practically nothing (not just coins and sig items) that i wouldnt part with for the world.

and I'm sure those of us not cool enough to have been gifted lackeys are happy to be able to get our grubby hands on one :mellow: I ordered a couple, and a shirt I had my eye on while I was there, glad to support Groundspeak :wacko:

I can't speak for all, but for some of us, it is the thrill of meeting one of the people behind the frog, nothing about being cool enough! When I first met Bryan and received a LACKEY, I felt like I had met a celebrity, we traded coins and chatted. Of course, Bryan is a very nice guy and we've since chatted a few tmes, which makes the LACKEY even more memorable for me now!

I bought 1 and a sticker, and i might buy some more. I really don't understand why people get upset when Groundspeak sells things (coins, shirts, premium memberships, ...). Don't they deserve to make a little money? It is a full time job for most of the lackeys, should they not get paid? I like to get paid for ding my job.

So I try to support the people who support my geocaching habit. I buy coins, TBs, t-shirts, and I am a premium member. They put a lot of effort into this and i think they deserve our support.

Thanks Groundspeak!

Groundspeak could make ANYTHING and sell it for a profit, some of us simply feel these are like the Moun10bike of GS coins! Would you feel OK with the Moun10Bikes suddenly being sold and readily available to all?

I'm more than happy to support GS, I harbor no grudge for someone being paid, but there's more ways than offering this special coin up for sale! In fact, it's a total 360 from their own wishes (I believe that's why the previous year's LACKEYs were activated before being given out). I know it now makes the earlier versions even more special to me!

Thanks Groundspeak!

I fully support Groundspeak selling merchandise and coins, I just don't understand why they have chosen to sell this particular coin, when previously you could not even 'own it' under your own account - they were deemed special, special enough that Groundspeak themselves requested that they not be sold. Maybe they figure that because of the perceived 'special' status of this coin in the past it will sell well - it certainly looks as though there are plenty of interested buyers, maybe that was reason enough. I have a medal - it was given to me for a special service that I voluteered for, my father also has this medal, because he too volunteered for the same service - if anyone could now go and purchase that medal - it makes a mockery of the ones that were given to recognise service. At the end of the day its just a geocoin and it really doesn't matter a whole heap - but if I ever see my medal being sold for commercial gain, that's another matter !