Geocoin club

dawg32

I am fairly new to geocaching, i have 66 finds so far in a month and would start to purchase some geo coins to place in some caches. My question is does anyone belong to the geocoin club? how is it/is it worth it? i was looking at doing the 6 month membership with 2 coins each month one for me to keep & one to place in a cache.

any info would be greatly appreciated

Never heard of this before, just googled it though.

Personally I would not do that, I would prefer to choose the coins I want and buy them when I want.

I have just purchased a coin from ebay for £4.00 inc P&P unactivated. Also purchased another for £5.20 unactivated. They are the coins I want.

Also on a few coin shops you have a great choice, mmmm wife is not happy about to put an order in for a few.

Have a look around at other options 1st, like buy what coin and when you want to 1st.

Happy caching

There are several clubs to choose from. I'm a member of the Geocoin & Pin Club (GCPC) that Oakcoins does. The price is reasonable. I actually have 2 subscriptions, and for less than $20 I get 2 coins, 2 pins and the occasional extra each month. The coins tend not to be as impressive as a lot of those made by some of the people here in the forums, but they are nice looking, and they tend to be larger than your standard 1.5 inch coin. I'm happy with them.

I'm thinking of adding a single subscription to the Geocoin Cub (GCC) as well.

dawg32, I have been a member of the geocoin club for about 2 years (maybe longer) and I love their coins. They usually have such unique and unusual coins. It is always so much fun to get their package in the mail, just to see what they have sent. They are not always on time, but they always deliver and it is always worth the wait to me.

The price for the coin clubs is reasonable and you get the lovely surprise of a coin or two (or more depending on your level of addiction) delivered every month. I think both of the primary coin of the month clubs are excellent and am also partial to the benchmark coin of the month club too.

If you don't want to get tied into a 6 month commitment with GCC try the Geocoins and Pins club where the dues are monthy.

I hope no one minds if I hijack this thread just slightly since the question has been answered by a few and I kind of have questions regarding the same topic.

I don't belong to a coin club but have given some thought to doing a "coin of the quarter" (1 coin design available every 4th month)(trackable/icon).

Is there really reasonable interest in this kind of club and do people like surprise designs or a special metal/color combo not available to non coin club members?

I've been thinking about it for some time but just haven't really made an effort to find out if it is worth doing or if it is something people really would be interested in.

What is it that people like about the coin clubs? The surprise design or just a special version or combo of both?

I hope no one minds if I hijack this thread just slightly since the question has been answered by a few and I kind of have questions regarding the same topic.

I don't belong to a coin club but have given some thought to doing a "coin of the quarter" (1 coin design available every 4th month)(trackable/icon).

Is there really reasonable interest in this kind of club and do people like surprise designs or a special metal/color combo not available to non coin club members?

I've been thinking about it for some time but just haven't really made an effort to find out if it is worth doing or if it is something people really would be interested in.

What is it that people like about the coin clubs? The surprise design or just a special version or combo of both?

I'd be in for 3 coins per period whichever way you go!

In answer to the OP, I'm in the Coins and Pins club, mom is in the other club. We each get 3 per month, one for each of us and one to trade.

For me, both...but the surprise is probably the best part, and yes, I would subscribe.

ILYK

Tsun, I think people would be eager to get whatever you have to offer!

Sign me up!!!

You bet....... :) Would be in for at least 2 a quarter of any of your surprise designs....

To answer your question...... I like the surprise aspect of not knowing until you receive it.....

i have only gotten a few from gcc. i like them a lot. i have not seen many designs from the other club, but i have been happy with my gcc coins so far.

tsun, i like all of the coins. i do enjoy getting a version that is only for club members also with a chance to buy more of the club memeber only coins in case i didn't order enough the first time.

With the way you've been going with your designs? Of course there would be interest. With the interest in LE, XLE, & AE's imagine a member only version of ET v1 or v2.

It's all in the numbers though. How many members does it take to make separate version viable. Nothin' you don't know.

Getting back to the original question at hand.

I can see where a membership in a coin club could be a good thing for a newcomer. Allows them to get their feet wet in the coining clan. Gives them time to figure out what they like or if collecting is something they want to pursue at a reasonable cost.

Sign me up!!!

If the shipping cost to Switzerland I'd love to participate as you, Tsun, stand for great designs I know I will like!!!

I think you have a good idea here. My honest opinion of the coin clubs now is that the vast majority of their coins are either really boring, have been done before or are just plain uninteresting. One every 4 months would give more time to design and work on a coin and would result in something of actual quality, especially if you had a hand in making it all happen. Quarterly seems more like you're trying to produce something cool, monthly is just a money maker in my opinion.

That's a tough question, because I'm mostly an impulse shopper and don't subscribe to any of the coin clubs. But I seem to bid on almost every Tsun-designed coin that comes up for auction, and several of my purchases turned out to be your designs without me knowing it, so it would be tempting to sign up.

But here's a question for you - would it still be fun for YOU if you had to put out a new coin on a schedule? If artist's block (or whatever it's called :laughing:), mint problems, family obligations, and other unforseen issues meant that putting out a coin on time was stressful, then you might regret starting the whole thing. The last thing we want is for the Tsun to burn out, leaving all us Tsun worshippers out in the cold!

I belong to 3 coins clubs and if TSUN does one then it will be four lol

I joined all three the week they came out. Geocoinclub, Geoswag coins and pins and the oldest still current coin club out there called ICE - which is our local coin club. We have a small amount of members but are still kicking!

The first two clubs mentioned I like because they come and I don't have to worry about missing them. I like them both equally and I like being surprised by both of them. Its like getting a mystery package every month, only in this case two!

The local club called ICE (Idaho Coin Enthusiasts) is nice because we have our coordinator who keeps his eyes open and orders for us. We send a lump of money to the treasurer every now and then and she uses it until we run out and have to send more lol She pays for them and then they are sent to the distributor who packages them up and then they get distributed to the members. Some faster than others, depending upon where you live. What's nice about this method is that we can pick how many we want and don't have to worry about missing any state or country coin (which is now all we buy).

I'm anxious to get signed up for Tsun's now (do it gf, do it!!)....and yet a different type of club.

All coin club's are great in my eyes :ph34r:

Let me ask a silly question. As far as a different metal or version of a coin for members only. Why isnt it that all club coins arent members only? Is it not cost effective to do so? Wouldnt it make each quarterly coin that much more special if only members were able to purchase them? and or would it not promote more club sale? Just curious...

Let me ask a silly question. As far as a different metal or version of a coin for members only. Why isnt it that all club coins arent members only? Is it not cost effective to do so? Wouldnt it make each quarterly coin that much more special if only members were able to purchase them? and or would it not promote more club sale? Just curious...

Sounds like a reasonable question to me. I don't know if I can answer the question to your satisfaction not having done a club coin myself. I can only hypothesize...

Seems to me that it really depends on the amount of members (or coins wanted by members) signed up for a club coin. The current standard for selling coins seems to be about 250 coins (give or take). Doing a design and limiting it to that amount isn't necessarily cost effective but creating a special version would probably be a much more vendor friendly cost option. On the other side of the coin, if you had a subscription base of 500 coins being sold, than it would probably be worth doing a member only coin.

Not being a club member for any coin clubs, I have found that when a special version of a coin was made or a coin was offered to club members only; I went to someone who was a member and arranged a trade. So in the end, the coin club did get more business (I'm thinking this happens quite a bit but I don't really know for sure).

I think there are some benefits and down-sides to doing the club coin in various ways. In reality it seems to be just a fancy way of selling an LE of a coin :mellow:

Side Note: Personally I'm still tossing the idea around and Belfrypotters got me thinking of possibly doing a semi-annual coin versus a quarterly coin. Lot's of variations of what one could do....

tsun

We would sign up in a heartbeat. The real draw for being a member is to get a coin not readily available to the general assembly. We would have no problem with the same coin in a different version being sold for general purpose, but would like to see a members only version for club members. If you decide to do so, please count us in.

Sounds like a reasonable question to me. I don't know if I can answer the question to your satisfaction not having done a club coin myself. I can only hypothesize...

Seems to me that it really depends on the amount of members (or coins wanted by members) signed up for a club coin. The current standard for selling coins seems to be about 250 coins (give or take). Doing a design and limiting it to that amount isn't necessarily cost effective but creating a special version would probably be a much more vendor friendly cost option. On the other side of the coin, if you had a subscription base of 500 coins being sold, than it would probably be worth doing a member only coin.

Not being a club member for any coin clubs, I have found that when a special version of a coin was made or a coin was offered to club members only; I went to someone who was a member and arranged a trade. So in the end, the coin club did get more business (I'm thinking this happens quite a bit but I don't really know for sure).

I think there are some benefits and down-sides to doing the club coin in various ways. In reality it seems to be just a fancy way of selling an LE of a coin :mellow:

Side Note: Personally I'm still tossing the idea around and Belfrypotters got me thinking of possibly doing a semi-annual coin versus a quarterly coin. Lot's of variations of what one could do....

tsun

Ok.. Since ive never been in a coin club before, let me ask this:

Is the coin that is automatically sent to a club member the LE or SE members only finish? Or is the coin sent a regular finish but being a member you have the option to purchase the members only finish seperately? And lets say you are signed up for 2 coins per period, are the 2 coins sent automatically the members only finish or do you recieve a regular edition & a LE? How does this work?

I am in the Geocoin Club and have been for a long time and love it. I was in the Benchmark one and loved those too, but wound up cutting back this year and didn't re-up when I hit a paypal glitch w/my account and it cancelled, I had one to the coin/pin one but cancelled that too.

It's always fun to see what is coming in the mail!!!! Nice little surprises.

Yep, sign me up tsun

Sonya

I'm not in any coin clubs, but I would join TSUN'S if she had one. Her designs are top of the line!

Glad to have seen this thread as I have wondered about the clubs myself. So it sounds like most are happy with the coins they get. I guess if you didn't like the coin of the month you could just trade it.

I have been reading these posts and thought I would try to give a personal perspective from my limited experience. I do not belong to any clubs and untill recently was unaware of their existance. The following phrases really jumped to my attention.

"not as impressive"

"really boring"

"having been done before"

"uninteresting"

"money making"

In January of this year I submitted a coin design "caching peeps" as a general submission for an easter coin. the vendor seemed to like the idea, however the mint qoute for dies was close to $1,000 so they obvously were no longer interested due to the added expense of a multi part toy. This was my fourth toy type design and last submitted, I have had other rejections due to to die cost and the mint just not being able to understand the function of the coin. It seems reasonable to me that a vendor expending capital should be granted the oppertunity of "making money" as they are taking some risk. I think therfore with what I percieve as limitations with factories not using some pretty cheap and basic fabrication technics "having been done before" will be an inevitable result of not expanding production practises. Obvoiusly I do not have a coin background but one of fabrication. I am not an artist but orginally designed my first coins bsed on cheap fabrication principles.

While "Caching peeps" was rejected I was asked to turn it into a coin of the month design. I accepted the challenge turning a three part movable coin into a double sided coin. and I submitted two coin designs based on the intitial design taking into account restrictions in what could actually be made. So the reamaining phrases "not as impressive" & "really boring" have me a bit apprehensive as to how the community will respond to their April coin of the month selection. If nothing else you know where to send your criticism, which is always welcome as I am not an artist & my feelings will not be hurt.

I had originally intended to introduce standard fabrication concepts into coin designs but this has proven to be too difficult endevour to do. So I have turned my intentions to the standard type coin displaying my twisted sence of humour. I have been caching for less than a year and into coins even shorter, so it is a learnimg experience and am grateful for many of the threads in the forums, and those of you who have personally helped me along.

I think the clubs from the research I did before the redo offer a decent coin for the money, and it appears many of you really like the surprise, which is why I gave so little information on the initial design and conversion.

Thanks

Thanks

I have been reading these posts and thought I would try to give a personal perspective from my limited experience. I do not belong to any clubs and untill recently was unaware of their existance. The following phrases really jumped to my attention.

"not as impressive"

"really boring"

"having been done before"

"uninteresting"

"money making"

Most of those are what I said. With regards to your coin and to clarify on my opinions, I'm sure that it's nicely designed, but no matter how nice it is I would probably be uninterested. Geocoin clubs usually make coins just for the sake of making them. Easter has nothing to do with the hobby, so for me I would find a geocoin that's just about Easter boring. Call me a purist I guess, I like coins that represent a caching team or individual, caching groups, events, certain caches and so on.

Not everyone likes the same things though, this is just what turns me off to coin clubs.

And to cover the coin clubs doing coins that have been done before part, there already is a geocoin shaped like a Peep.

Most of those are what I said. With regards to your coin and to clarify on my opinions, I'm sure that it's nicely designed, but no matter how nice it is I would probably be uninterested. Geocoin clubs usually make coins just for the sake of making them. Easter has nothing to do with the hobby, so for me I would find a geocoin that's just about Easter boring. Call me a purist I guess, I like coins that represent a caching team or individual, caching groups, events, certain caches and so on.

Not everyone likes the same things though, this is just what turns me off to coin clubs.

And to cover the coin clubs doing coins that have been done before part, there already is a geocoin shaped like a Peep.

Thanks for your comments, I too enjoy the caching related coins, The original easter concept was very caching related and based on a cache, however what was made is not, but at least it is not in the shape of a peep I did see some of those shaped coins and avoided them.

Thanks again

Yeah, what's up with the GCC shipments? I paid in February (new membership) and haven't received either coins nor notification of delay. Should I be worried?

Not to worry, I've been a member for almost 2 years now and while they are often late, I've never missed a coin.

And if they are really late they sometimes throw in something extra to make up for the wait.

Your coins will come :o

Not to worry, I've been a member for almost 2 years now and while they are often late, I've never missed a coin.

And if they are really late they sometimes throw in something extra to make up for the wait.

Your coins will come :o

Excellent, thanks for the response. One less thing to worry about.