Is the Garmin Etrex H good for Geocaching?

Yes, it is a nice accurate unit for the price. I have had mine for several months now and enjoy it. The only downside is that there are no maps and you have to hand enter coordinates. For starting out it is probably a good idea to start with this one until you decide if you are going to like this game, before investing a larger amount of dollars.

I love my little eTrex H. It's the unit I bought when I first got into geocaching. It's super accurate! I highly recommend it for a beginner's GPS unit. It used mine for about a year before upgrading to a unit with a bit more features (Garmin GPSMap 60Cx), but I first wanted to try geocaching with a cheaper unit before I invested the mad cheddar in a GPS. You will love the eTrex H! Let us know how it goes! :)

Great little unit - will help you find nearly any cache out there.

Only real drawback is the serial computer interface. Most newer computers do not include a serial interface anymore so you will have to find a USB to serial adapter to download caches.

Which is may be worth to consider getting a Legend H or a Venture HC which both use standard cheap USB cables. An eTrex + Serial cable + Serial to USB adapter propably cost as much or more than a Legend H. You'll also get map support as a bonus.

If you do get the Etrex H I have a usb cable and the cd..... I bought them for mine and it works good....... I paid 15$us and shipping...... Send me a message if you want it, and you can have it for 10$us + shipping..... Thanxs.......... Oh and I liked the Etrex H I just wanted to upgrade, it never failed to find the location................ LOL.........

If you do get the Etrex H I have a usb cable and the cd..... I bought them for mine and it works good....... I paid 15$us and shipping...... Send me a message if you want it, and you can have it for 10$us + shipping..... Thanxs.......... Oh and I liked the Etrex H I just wanted to upgrade, it never failed to find the location................ LOL.........

I've read alot of reviews about the Etrex H and wondered if would suitable for a beginner or if there are any other recomendations? Thank you! :sad:

The accuracy of the Etrex H will equal the top of the line $500 all you can eat GPS unit. Money doesn't buy accuracy in handheld GPS units anymore. As long as you don't mind entering the coordinates one by one, it's a great unit.

But if you can spring 40 more bucks, the Etrex Venture HC will have a lot more options including transferring geocaches direct to your unit.

Don't sweat it though, you won't go wrong with the Etrex.

i still use my e trek h for geocaching, normally sits in my work bag just in case there are some nearby and always comes with me caching when i use other devices just in case i need a second opinion (i trust the etrex h over my oregon especially under tree cover). go get it, if you lose interest in caching then you can sell it for a good price on ebay if not it will do you well. Otherwise if you get another device you know you will get a good price for the etrexh.

Great little unit - will help you find nearly any cache out there.

Only real drawback is the serial computer interface. Most newer computers do not include a serial interface anymore so you will have to find a USB to serial adapter to download caches.

Which is may be worth to consider getting a Legend H or a Venture HC which both use standard cheap USB cables. An eTrex + Serial cable + Serial to USB adapter propably cost as much or more than a Legend H. You'll also get map support as a bonus.

I second this suggestion. The usb cable is worth the difference in price and you will appreciate the mapping capability.

this is my first GPS and I am struggling to put in Coordinates any way someone could explain this would be greatly appreaciated. Do you need the usb cord to put in coords?

Basically, you have to mark a new waypoint, and navigate (up/down) to the new waypoint's coordinates.

Once there, by pressing enter, you will access a menu that will allow you to change the coordinates.

A bit odd, but it works well.

Hi we have been caching for a couple of months now using the iphone app but i wanted something for the kids to be able to use as i dont want them to break my iphone.

We got an Etrex h unit and have managed to put coords in ok but the compass seems very slow to react (not like the iphone compass) is this normal or a setting i am missing.

i have set both devices set for the same cache both are pointing to the same bearing only iphone has W at bottom of screen(pointing west) etrex has west pointing opposite way.

Do you need a normal compass to help with the etrex h?

any advice is welcome

Thanks Mark

After a quick wander around the garden it would seem this is only a problem when stood still

Edited by familywatsonuk

I'll second the vote for the Garmin Venture HC with it's color screen, maps and cheap USB cord compatibility.

We used a non-H version of the Garmin Legend for years, until it was stolen. When looking for a replacement we priced the basic eTrex H + serial cable + USB adapter VS eTrex Legend H (USB cable included) VS the eTrex Venture HC (USB cable included). Even though it was slightly more the Venture HC was the hands down winner. You can't beat the readability of the Venture's color screen with it's awesome backlight vs a greyscale display when using outside. It uses a plain old USB to mini-USB cable which is cheap to replace if lost.

I don't work for them or anything, but Walmart.com has been having pretty good prices on GPS units lately (much cheaper than in-store Walmart prices). If you order off the site you can get sloooow, but free site-to-store shipping and pickup at your local store. The basic eTrex goes for $83+tax, and the Legend HC with USB cable is $99 + tax. Unless you are on a really tight budget, you will be glad you spent the extra for a Venture over a basic eTrex. Again, not trying to plug Walmart, just saying they were the cheapest I could find online when I bought my Venture.

EDIT: LOL! My second post ever and it reads like typical forum adSPAM with the mention of WallyWorld! Mods, feel free to delete this if you think necessary. I'll understand completely.

Edited by Himer's Heroes

Im sure i will no doubt upgrade to a full colour screen gps fairly soon but will use iphone and etrex h for now.

I have searched the Garmin Venture HC but here in the uk it is priced around £160 where the etrex h is about £70.

Not sure what the exchange rate is at the moment but not sure $83=£70 & $99= £160

Something dont add up.

where is the serial cable port on the Etrex h anyway mine does not seem to have one.

Cheers Mark

Im sure i will no doubt upgrade to a full colour screen gps fairly soon but will use iphone and etrex h for now.

I have searched the Garmin Venture HC but here in the uk it is priced around £160 where the etrex h is about £70.

Not sure what the exchange rate is at the moment but not sure $83=£70 & $99= £160

Something dont add up.

where is the serial cable port on the Etrex h anyway mine does not seem to have one.

Cheers Mark

Sorry, we silly Americans tend to assume (Mom always said that makes an a** out of U and Me) the world is American. Hello to the UK! Walmart.com has pretty low prices, but they do so much volume and work on such low margins it's not really fair to dedicated GPS stores. Anyway, it sounds like you are already set up to enjoy everything the sport has to offer, so any upgrade is just a bonus.

And the serial cable plugs into the eTrex H under that rubber cover on the top/back of the unit. It a flat, slide-in connector with a standard serial plug on the computer end of the cable.