Windows Mobile software setup

Here is how I am using my HTC Touch Vogue, running windows mobile 6.1 with a Qualcom GPSone internal GPSr.

Sadly, I have not found a program that does everything I want. So I acctualy have 3 installed.

For acctual caching, I am using BasicGPS. I stores .loc and .gpx files (good for if you are out of cell coverage), links into the web site, and google maps. It has audio info for if your hands are cold, or to use with headphones in high muggler areas. It just seems to work good. BasicGPS can acctualy be used to find caches on wap.geocaching.com, but not as good as I would like.

For finding caches on geocaching.com, I normaly use a new program called GCz. It works super, but only returns 20 results. The current version does not have a setting to change this so... If I want more than 20 results, I use GateCacher. GCz currently has some bugs that make it poor for acctualy navigating to the cache site. As for GateCacher, I don't realy like the feel of its navigation, so don't use that eaither.

Using these two programs to find caches when I am on the go, I then download the .loc files and import them into BasicGPS.

I have tried geoScout, but it was overly complicated, and frequently crashed.

Finaly, I am thinking of buying a Bluetooth GPS with WAAS to improve accuracy. I can get a good one localy for $70 Canadian dollars.

There you have it. I would love to here how others are using their Windows Mobile devices.

I have a PN-40 and a Sprint Touch Pro. The Touch Pro has one of the applications you are using plus Cachemate (both registered). I have tried NoniGPS and was not that impressed with it. I tried GCz once, but it had issues then and probably still does. The PN-40 was not purchased for geocaching; however, it has performed well when it does get used for it. I recently began doing pocket queries for Oahu and on occasion look at the caches in areas I pass through.

Here is how I am using my HTC Touch Vogue, running windows mobile 6.1 with a Qualcom GPSone internal GPSr.

Sadly, I have not found a program that does everything I want. So I acctualy have 3 installed.

For acctual caching, I am using BasicGPS. I stores .loc and .gpx files (good for if you are out of cell coverage), links into the web site, and google maps. It has audio info for if your hands are cold, or to use with headphones in high muggler areas. It just seems to work good. BasicGPS can acctualy be used to find caches on wap.geocaching.com, but not as good as I would like.

For finding caches on geocaching.com, I normaly use a new program called GCz. It works super, but only returns 20 results. The current version does not have a setting to change this so... If I want more than 20 results, I use GateCacher. GCz currently has some bugs that make it poor for acctualy navigating to the cache site. As for GateCacher, I don't realy like the feel of its navigation, so don't use that eaither.

Using these two programs to find caches when I am on the go, I then download the .loc files and import them into BasicGPS.

I have tried geoScout, but it was overly complicated, and frequently crashed.

Finaly, I am thinking of buying a Bluetooth GPS with WAAS to improve accuracy. I can get a good one localy for $70 Canadian dollars.

There you have it. I would love to here how others are using their Windows Mobile devices.

I have the geoscout-2 on my htc (at&t tilt) and it works fine. the first version was good too but geoscout-2 is even better i can do it all get caches on the go update logs find the cache and log it all from my phone and in some cases where my gps map60csx was having troubles i ended up finding with the phone.not sure if its just your model of phone or maybe the version of geoscout you had? i have to admit it takes a lil bit of learning to get it but i am not very good at all with hightech stuff and figuerd most of it out.they have a manual to download and its very helpfull.i learn a lil more every time i use it.i really like the feature when on the map page it will go out and find the closest caches and you can say how many you want it to get.great if you travel about.and if there is anything you cant figuer out the support is great just e-mail and they respond pretty quickly. maybe you should give it another try?NavStation Support <support@navstation.co.uk> if you have any trouble or questions just give tham a shout

If I want more than 20 results, I use GateCacher. GCz currently has some bugs that make it poor for acctualy navigating to the cache site. As for GateCacher, I don't realy like the feel of its navigation, so don't use that eaither.

I think I have some good news for you: at the moment, version 2 is being betatested. It will be publically released in a few weeks and has a radically improved interface and lay-out. For more info, check out the GateCacher website.

Regards,

Laurette (my fiancé is the developer of GateCacher)

Just wanted everyone to know that GCz has been updated today with a new GPS monitor and some bug fixes. GCz still needs a data connection. Look for GCz II for a connectionless solution in the future.

im hoping they just fix current function

I currently use BeeLine GPS for off line use with pocket queries. I use GCz and occasionally GateCacher when I have cellular service. I really like the ability to find caches at the spur of the moment and to be able to log my finds from the cache site. I am looking forward to version 2 of both of these programs.

I currently use BeeLine GPS for off line use with pocket queries. I use GCz and occasionally GateCacher when I have cellular service. I really like the ability to find caches at the spur of the moment and to be able to log my finds from the cache site. I am looking forward to version 2 of both of these programs.

Hi there!

I'm not sure if you know this, but GateCacher can also be used off-line!

Just load the caches at home / in your hotel /... while on-line and use them off-line afterwards.

Once loaded they will be stored locally.

In the current version you can tell GateCacher when it should load cache info.

Look under Config -> Misc.

If you add caches by GC code, they will always be pre-loaded. For the other options (Near Me, Near Location or GPX) you can configure this. Per default Near Location and GPX loading will result in pre-loading of cache info, near me will not (unless configured otherwise).

Also, in the current Beta (just released this week to the sponsors) there's integrated GoogleMaps support and creation of Field Notes from within GateCacher.

This will be pubically released in a couple of weeks, so stay tuned!

Regards,

Dennis (Developer of GateCacher)

Can someone who has gotten Geoscout to install please contact me.. I have the program installed and the .net framework installed but all attempts to install the SQL that is needed are failing.. I have downloaded 3 different installs and they all fail to install on my HTC phone.. I found a rar with just the required files inside but it has no install, only an xml file that of course internet explorer blocks from running.

Anyone that can help me would be an almighty hero in my books :laughing: Want to get this running and test it out

Thanks in advance!

Curt