Oregon 2.94 beta released

Quick 25 caches at lunch to day, 2.94 was spot on at each cache. The crash error when moving was annoying but easily avoided... change maps when at lights / stop signs :) emailed garmin, been loving their responsiveness with this Beta Cycle (added in my usual request to fix the earthcache icon :) )

Is it possible to reset the main odometer from the menus yet ? Last I heard it required a full system reset, which is one of the things that put me off buying an Oregon. Yet ...

Thanks

Gary

Why is resetting the main odometer so crucial???

That's the one I use to keep track of how far I've gone on a tank of gas - and I need to be able to reset it without stuffing up the other trip computer readings.

Gary

Edited by ceeG

Is it possible to reset the main odometer from the menus yet ? Last I heard it required a full system reset, which is one of the things that put me off buying an Oregon. Yet ...

Thanks

Gary

Why is resetting the main odometer so crucial???

That's the one I use to keep track of how far I've gone on a tank of gas - and I need to be able to reset it without stuffing up the other trip computer readings.

Gary

OT: Can't you use the car trip odometer?

OK, I have noticed that they fixed the bug in Custom POI's where if you have more than one POI "database", that when selecting "All Databases" it would not search any of them. I was still seeing this bug in v2.86 but it is fixed in v2.93/2.94.

I have noticed a new POI "issue". Much like the old GPX file issue, the Oregon now sees all *.gpi files on the SD card, no matter what folder/directory they are in. I know that on the 60CSx, they had to be in the \Garmin\POI folder in order to be seen, and I assumed this to be the case for the Colorado & Oregon too. I was wondering why I was always seeing double POI "databases" on my Oregon and tonight I spent the time to test and determine that it was seeing *.gpi files I had accidentally put in \Support\Geocache-GPX\GarminPOI on my SD card, but those gpi files were also placed in \Garmin\POI. I don't know if this is a "bug" or just a misunderstanding of where to load gpi (Custom POI) files on my Oregon.

Quick 25 caches at lunch to day, 2.94 was spot on at each cache. The crash error when moving was annoying but easily avoided... change maps when at lights / stop signs :) emailed garmin, been loving their responsiveness with this Beta Cycle (added in my usual request to fix the earthcache icon :) )

What size micro sd card do you use?

Thanks

Can you provide us with the language of your earthcache request? Maybe if all of us put it in our messages to Garmin they might think it is really important. ;)

I'm curious here - exactly how long is your lunch break? 25 caches??? My lunch break is 30 minutes. The most caches I've ever done in a day is 23, and that took me 7 hours!

On a more serious note, I really miss 1) waypoint averaging and 2) the OR not displaying "corrected coordinates" posted in other geocacher's logs. I included the following 2 paragraphs in an email to oregonbeta@garmin.com. Feel free to copy and paste in your email to them. Thanks.

Feature Requests:

1) Waypoint Averaging - it is incomprehensible that Garmin's top of the line "Trail" mapping handheld GPS receiver does not have this very important function that was present in the 60 series. Please - put it back in there. I take pride in providing good coordinates on my hidden geocaches, and the waypoint averaging function is a vital tool. (The Delorme PN-40 has it, and the Delorme folks and their supporters on the forums don't waste any time in reminding everyone that the Oregon doesn't!)

2) "Corrected Coordinates" in logs. When geocachers find a cache that they percieve has soft or bad posted coordinates, the geocaching website offers the ability to post a waypoint with "updated" or "improved" coordinates to help future finders. These corrected coordinates appear directly above the finders log on the cache page. They do NOT however appear on the Oregon's cache page. Would it be possible for your software team to write code to look for and recognize these "corrected coordinates" in the .gpx file and display them in the logs exported to the GPSr.

GerIRL,

Specifically what you are asking as part of 2) is for Garmin to interpret the log_wpt tag in the Groundspeak logs. I wasn't sure it was there but I just checked and it is, there shouldn't be any reason that they can't display these coordinates.

<Groundspeak:log_wpt lat="nn.nnnn" lon="nn.nnnn" />

Can you provide us with the language of your earthcache request? Maybe if all of us put it in our messages to Garmin they might think it is really important. ;)

Geoaware posted tonite in the EarthCaching forums that it is a copyright issue and that Garmin has not gotten permission to use the icon.

On a more serious note, I really miss 1) waypoint averaging and 2) the OR not displaying "corrected coordinates" posted in other geocacher's logs. I included the following 2 paragraphs in an email to oregonbeta@garmin.com. Feel free to copy and paste in your email to them. Thanks.

Feature Requests:

1) Waypoint Averaging - it is incomprehensible that Garmin's top of the line "Trail" mapping handheld GPS receiver does not have this very important function that was present in the 60 series. Please - put it back in there. I take pride in providing good coordinates on my hidden geocaches, and the waypoint averaging function is a vital tool. (The Delorme PN-40 has it, and the Delorme folks and their supporters on the forums don't waste any time in reminding everyone that the Oregon doesn't!)

2) "Corrected Coordinates" in logs. When geocachers find a cache that they percieve has soft or bad posted coordinates, the geocaching website offers the ability to post a waypoint with "updated" or "improved" coordinates to help future finders. These corrected coordinates appear directly above the finders log on the cache page. They do NOT however appear on the Oregon's cache page. Would it be possible for your software team to write code to look for and recognize these "corrected coordinates" in the .gpx file and display them in the logs exported to the GPSr.

Big 1 to both points. I take along my Vista HCx when hiding a cache because even with the Wherigo cartridge I find the Vista's waypoint averaging more accurate. And I wasn't sure it the corrected coordinates not showing was on all units. Thanks for confirming.

Well, the tracklog was a hot mess. Also the WAAS lock was less than impressive. Rather unimpressive actually, dropping out for no reason at all. Much like we've been experiencing for a while now.

Set your tracklog for high resolution (either timed for 1 second intervals or Auto-Most often) and get out for a walk. Try walking around your block on the curb. The tracklog will look more like a drunken stagger than a straight walk.

Not only that but monitor your speed, I went from 1.5mph to 3.9mph and back down to 2.3mph in 3 seconds (Walking at a steady pace). Not very stable. This new chipset, the Cartesio, seems to have alot of trouble at slow speeds. God I hope they can fix this because the Oregon is a really nice unit otherwise.

Now, before everyone posts how smooth their tracklog is while driving or riding bike, yeah, mine too. BUT when you slow down for a walk... :)

I applaude Garmin for the other changes, data field readability and all that. Great and thanks. But, they really need to work on some of the basic functions of a good, accurate, reliable handheld GPS like tracklog recording and WAAS signal lock

And still, for the record NO WAYPOINT AVERAGING :)

Feature Requests:

I'd like to add these nice to have requests:

- In POI database add possibility to show POI icon with name

- Use PageUp/PageDown arrows to scroll through cache listing (anoying to pan over 4 pages of listing and 2 pages of log records)

- Ability to set proximity alarm for waypoint

- separate counters per profile with separate/global zero

- use name of profile in stored tracklog description (automotive, geocaching, fitness, flying, marine, ..)

- adaptive tracklog coloring to se how fast and where it was uphill or downhill - important for flying to see where was good thermal - use of warm/cold colors for ascent/descent - more warm means more dirrence in altitude

Does anyone beside me get frustrated every time they connect to the PC - the micro SD card opens up!

As the Discoverer mapping software is not protected on these, I would prefer for the drive to open at my request.

Also to take a screenshot is a pain when you see a worthwhile view you want to capture [WAAS].

You always get Screenlock and backlight. A personal choice depending on profile would be handy in the options - Screen lock/backlight or Screenshot!

I'm getting a power off problem that occurs around 25% of the time after pressing the back up arrow when navigating around the map with this new software.

Are there any patch notes for this new GPS firmware? Is this firmware specifically for the GPS chipset? Who writes it? Garmin or the chipset manufacturer?

Does anyone beside me get frustrated every time they connect to the PC - the micro SD card opens up!

As the Discoverer mapping software is not protected on these, I would prefer for the drive to open at my request.

Also to take a screenshot is a pain when you see a worthwhile view you want to capture [WAAS].

You always get Screenlock and backlight. A personal choice depending on profile would be handy in the options - Screen lock/backlight or Screenshot!

Try setting your Oregon's mode to Spanner, it may give you a screen choice on USB start up to open the card or not.

name='emorycreek' date='Mar 27 2009, 02:09 PM' post='3879923']

Try setting your Oregon's mode to Spanner, it may give you a screen choice on USB start up to open the card or not.

You have a choice to open the unit or not - but no choice for the SD card if you say yes to the unit!

name='emorycreek' date='Mar 27 2009, 02:09 PM' post='3879923']

You have a choice to open the unit or not - but no choice for the SD card if you say yes to the unit!

That is correct. A window is going to come up for the SD card. I haven't found a way of eliminating it.

name='kafkar' date='Mar 27 2009, 07:29 AM' post='3879728']

I think this is already available for POIs and Waypoints on my unit.

Proximity Alarms work fine on my OR. I wish we could increase the sound volume.

Edited by Tequila

I also had my first crash ever with my 300, after upgrading to 2.94. I was routing to a geochache in automotive mode.

Same here, although I was routing to a waypoint. It looks like the shutdowns are occurring automotive mode. Anyone have a shutdown in a different mode?

Same here, although I was routing to a waypoint. It looks like the shutdowns are occurring automotive mode. Anyone have a shutdown in a different mode?

In a custom profile cloned from the generic Geocaching profile, I have experienced several "abnormal powerdown" errors by hitting the "previous screen arrow" while on the map screen and moving. I have reproduced it by going to the map screen while driving, panning the map, then hitting the arrow in the lower left corner of the screen.

Here's something I'd like to see in a future update next to the possibility of waypoint averaging, Wherigo actually working and spoiler image handling:

Different sounds for left and right turns while navigating. This way one wouldn't have to look at the unit at every turn...

By and large, Wherigo works fine in the Oregon. Tasks don't work in any Garmin player and there is a performance issue if you have too many open zones.

Other than that, I am not aware of any issues. I have published/developed 10 Wherigo caches and all of them run fine on the OR.

I have never seen this before:

I ran a GSAK macro to load a large (1800 caches) gpx file to my OR. When I powered it on, it said No Caches Found. Connected it to my PC and verified the file is there. Powered it on again and it found the caches.

Weird.

Welcome to my world. This has been happening to me ever since I got my 400T.

Except mine never finishes opening after a load of a large .gps, I have to take batteries out and reinstall the file, then it opens. A pita but as I am aware of it I just do it as nobody else ever complained about it.

I ran a GSAK macro to load a large (1800 caches) gpx file to my OR. When I powered it on, it said No Caches Found. Connected it to my PC and verified the file is there. Powered it on again and it found the caches.

Weird.

Except mine never finishes opening after a load of a large .gps, I have to take batteries out and reinstall the file, then it opens. A pita but as I am aware of it I just do it as nobody else ever complained about it.

Happens to me, almost every other time I load the file in. I guess I just got used to it.

Weird.

I have had the same problem and use the same "fix"

-galaP-

I think I have it, when you scroll on the map it appears to draw the map and then add the shaded relief. I only have the basemap and no other maps install at this point. Does anyone else have this issue? It also appears to scroll a little slower including the re-draw.

I see this with TOPO GB. Map first then the shaded relief follows shortly.

If you email Garmin, attach the GarminError.xml file that is under /Garmin/Debug directory on the Oregon. They need this to debug the problem.

Sounds like there will be a 2.95 shortly.

I'd like to send Garmin my error log, but I need their email address so I can attach the log. Looking at their website I only see a form for contacting support. What email address did you use?

EDIT: Ahh... I think I found it in an old email from a few years ago.

techsupp@garmin.com

Edited by Low Bat

Here's a copy of what I sent to OregonBeta@garmin.com:

After having gone out Geocaching all day without a hitch I got the field notes from my Oregon 300 and then realised I had received a new batch of pocket queries (.gpx files) from the Geocaching.com website. I loaded these on and safely removed the device in Windows Vista. Upon powering on the unit it got to the Garmin loading screen and said “Oregon 300” at the bottom, but just stayed there indefinitely. The power off button did nothing, so the batteries had to be pulled out. After doing this the unit has now started up correctly, however if I go to the “Geocaching” button, it now say’s “No Geocaches Found... etc.” Even though there’s 4 PQ’s with 500 geocaches worth in each!? So I now no longer have any Geocaching information on my Oregon.

Although I have to say that they were incredibly quick at getting back to me, and asking me to provide them with some more information/tests.

Edited by Global_Inferno

For the beta you should be sending logs and issues to OregonBeta@garmin.com . The regular email is product.support@garmin.com

Thanks for the direct email address, and thanks for the screen backgrounds you made, and for all the information you make available on your website. BTW, do you ever sleep? I could swear whenever I post something you post soon after. :ph34r:

Weird.

I have had the same problem and use the same "fix"

-galaP-

Glad I am not the only one. When I brought this up in the GSAK forum I felt like it was just me.

Today it loaded ok. I have a cache that is 50 miles away I use to check, if it doesn't load I know to reload the file.

name='kafkar' date='Mar 27 2009, 07:29 AM' post='3879728']

I think this is already available for POIs and Waypoints on my unit.

Yes it is.. But I did not find out way how to set proximity alarm parameters directly on unit. For POI it is working fine, but for WP I need mapsource and computer to do it ..

You should always use webupdater service from garmin !!! the beta ver.2.94 under the update and software page states this.and gives a warning under the beta ver 2.94 update-that its not been released for production and should use at your own risk! if you guys used webupdater it would have not updated your oregon to this ver 2.94,mine is 2.8 still with no problems.

Edited by 0newithwild

You should always use webupdater service from garmin !!! the beta ver.2.94 under the update and software page states this.and gives a warning under the beta ver 2.94 update-that its not been released for production and should use at your own risk! if you guys used webupdater it would have not updated your oregon to this ver 2.94,mine is 2.8 still with no problems.

We're not going to get very far with what we want without Beta testers. This thread is about the Beta release, and things are developing pretty quickly with some great revisions to the software that far outweigh the disadvantage of the occasional shut off.

I took my Oregon out for a couple of hours yesterday with the batteries on about 50% charge. I got a power off every time I pressed the backup arrow after browsing the map, which was more often than when the batteries were fresh.

WAAS reception seemed the same as the last update and the track looks pretty good to me even at my slowest speeds (4-6Km/h). There is, however, a noticeable drift at one point along the track (compared to a previous track, and GE)

db2z.jpg