USB cable attachment hole on Magellan eXplorist is loosing its thread

The USB cable that allows me to connect my eXplorist 210 to my PC attaches to the GPSr by way of a bolt/screw thingy on the cable itself that screws into the back of the GPSr. This threaded hole is starting to get striped out and the bolt/screw thingy is having issues holding the cable in place on the GPSr. I have already modified the cable to allow the bolt/screw to travel deeper into the hole- where the threads are still holding, but I can only see this as something that will get worse with time until I can no longer attach the cable to the unit at all.

Aside from duct-tape fixes and replacing the unit, is there a way to replace the section at the back of the unit where the hole is? Has anybody else had this problem and found a solution?

The answer is to buy a cradle mount. When you do a search, such as on ebay, use the words: Explorist and mount and/or bracket. The Swivel mount works well sitting on the desk. the cable attaches to the mount and you snap the eXplorist in and the contacts align.

Be careful since the little plastic snap on the cable can break so that it does stay into the mount. When this happens, use wire to keep it in place like I have done. I also use a rubber band wrapped quickly around for the contacts to touch firmly. Still faster than using the screw.

I cracked my screen and when Magellan refused to fix it I had to be creative. What worked for me was finding a seller of Explorists on ebay. I emailed a few to see if they had any dead ones or even the housing. I lucked out and got a couple of responses. If I remember right all he charged me was shipping.

Good luck

Here's what I did:

Take a look at the screw on the end of the cable.

Some cable have a very small washer between the screw head and the cable. Gently pull the screw and verify that the washer is there. If it does have a washer, pull the screw completely out and remove the washer. Replace the screw. The washer adds about 1-2 mm so without it you should now have that additional "play" to get the thing to screw into your GPSr.

If the washer's missing you can attempt to drill out some material on the moulding so that the screw drops those 1-2 mm giving you the extra screw length. I have 2 cables and performed both procedures. Cables now screw in tightly.

...you can attempt to drill out some material on the moulding so that the screw drops those 1-2 mm giving you the extra screw length. I have 2 cables and performed both procedures. Cables now screw in tightly.

This is exactly what I've done already. I'm thinking ahead for when more of the threading wears out.

The answer is to buy a cradle mount.

Thanks, I'll look into that.