Sunlight Screen Visibility

Theirs been an ongoing discussion as to which GPS receivers have the best sunlight screen visibility without backlight. I've collected some of my photos along with some website photos as a start. Even though this exercise won't be as fair as having all the units side-by-side, if we have enough photos then everyone will be able to reasonable compare all units. All GPS brands are welcomed, the more the better. Get out your cameras and fire away.

Triad-NF-Marker_7975.jpg

GndCanyon7284.jpg

garmin-oregon-400t-gps-review-kayak-map.jpg

garmin-oregon-400t-gps-review-3d-map.jpg

IMG_0561.jpg

To anyone who has attempted this exercise, not easy. The sunlight grantees reflections and difficulty viewing the camera screen. The following three were all set to 800' zoom, and placed on the identical map area. The base color for the Venture is yellow, but that same area renders white on the Colorado. You really have to squint to see anything on the Nuvi. I attempted to clean the Nuvi's screen, that just rearranged the smudges. In all three cases the backlight was off.

Venture_8055.jpg

Colo_8056.jpg

Nuvi_8053.jpg

Next part:

Boat, rainy weather, May, morning, no sun:

ekrany6mw3.pngekrany7ur1.pngekrany5kx0.pngekrany4rq6.png

Colorado vs paper map in bag, direct sun, June, Poland:

dysk88tl9.png

Colorado vs paper map, direct greek sun, September, checking "greek coordinates":

paleochora01ig0.jpg

Under dense foliage, September, Poland:

erkrany1uv8.png

Christopher

Edited by sokolo0

I really wonder what the goal of this question is, especially the "without backlight" part.

There seems to be a lot of confusion about this, especially related to the Garmin Oregon and Colorado.

Here's the facts.

Color LCD screens by design look best when they are backlit.

On both the Oregon and Colorado, leaving the back light on permanently actually has very little effect on battery life (disclaimer, if your using old exhausted batteries, there is more of an effect).

On my unit with fresh NiMH batteries, I can get about 18 hours without the backlight (leaving it on my desk, not touching it) and about 16 hours with the backlight locked on. This just isn't enough to even think about.

Read this:

http://www.gpsfix.net/battery-life-compari...egon-and-60csx/

Also read "H8" on this page:

https://garmincolorado.wikispaces.com/Hardw...,+Cables,+Power

I would expect (and I get) similar times on the Oregon.

ETrex Legend+ 60CS - comparing WAAS/EGNOS July 2007, sandy beach, midday.

waas60cs2fl5.jpg

Rainy day, Croatia, May 2007 leaving Starigrad o Hvar island, both in plastic bags, in cockpit under bimini, comparison of VHF contrast screen vs 60CS:

gpsdeszcz222wd4.jpg

All fotos above and in previous posts - without screen illumination.

Now 60CSx, Oregon, FSlooxN560, Colorado - maximum light in darkness:

img2130xi6.jpg

Christopher

Edited by sokolo0

Christopher,

If the Oregon has the backlight off, that's the best Oregon sunlight photo I've seen.

Thanks for the post(s).

At home, sunlight through the window:

img2135qt7.jpg

=====================

Yes it was without backlight. I found and now present another fotos from that "session".

1. Same conditions as before - direct sun through the window:

wpenymsocu2zdj.jpg

2. Another day, no sun, weather changed.

bezsoca1.jpg

Christopher

The Oregon screen looks pretty pathetic.

Especially compared to all the others.

So far, thag is the only thing that has held me up from getting the Oregon 400c.

I have the 76CSx and the screen is very clear and readable either in bright, direct sun, or in shadow with the backlight on.

Too bad.... I would really like the touch screen feature of the Oregon.

Tim

Edited by pratzert

Tim

Tap the power button quickly (don't hold it), hit the "+" a couple times, enjoy your new screen.

Hi Potato Finder !

I don't have the Oregon 400c ( yet ). But if this is a tip/trick to dramatically improve the readability of the screen on the Oregon.... it may push me over the edge to get one.

I DO have a 76CSx.... will this trick/tip work on that ?

Tim

Tap the power button quickly (don't hold it), hit the "+" a couple times, enjoy your new screen.

Hi Potato Finder !

I don't have the Oregon 400c ( yet ). But if this is a tip/trick to dramatically improve the readability of the screen on the Oregon.... it may push me over the edge to get one.

Sorry, I don't know the 60's or 76's, but I know on "some" of the other garmins, if your on the sat screen hitting the zoom in/out (+/-) buttons will do it, this is true of all the etrex's as far as I know, just don't know on the 76 though.

Tim

Hi Potato Finder !

Sorry, I don't know the 60's or 76's, but I know on "some" of the other garmins, if your on the sat screen hitting the zoom in/out (+/-) buttons will do it, this is true of all the etrex's as far as I know, just don't know on the 76 though.

Potato Finder,

What exactly does this trick do on the Oregon 400 ? Change the screen resolution, contrast or what ?

Thanks, Tim

Potato Finder,

What exactly does this trick do on the Oregon 400 ? Change the screen resolution, contrast or what ?

Thanks, Tim

The default backlight level is just too low to be useful in most situations. It just increases it. My testing and other reports I've found show that this makes little difference in battery life.

Potato Finder,

Thanks, Tim

The default backlight level is just too low to be useful in most situations. It just increases it. My testing and other reports I've found show that this makes little difference in battery life.

You sure made it sound like the cure-all for the screen, but you merely turned on the light?

Potato Finder,

Thanks, Tim

You sure made it sound like the cure-all for the screen, but you merely turned on the light?

Yes, its that simple. There seems to be paranoia that the backlight will somehow run the batteries down in 2 minutes or something and people just can't accept otherwise. My own testing and valid tests I've seen others post clearly show that with good batteries, the backlight makes very little difference on battery life and even with the backlight on all the time the Oregon still outlasts that other gps that everyone seems stuck on this week that apparently does kill the battery if used for more than a couple minutes.

Speaking of "that other GPS" ......

Has anyone else noted the ABSENCE of pics posted by the "cheering squad" showing a side by side (for accurate size/sunlight visibility) comparison of the orange lollypop with an Oregon ,Colorado,Map60-76 series ?

Don't gloat too much. As soon as my area gains good direct sunlight, you will see a pic from me. Camera and PN-40 are in hand.

I really wonder what the goal of this question is, especially the "without backlight" part.

He doesn't like the Oregon :blink: This is actually not a PN40 v OR thread, but a CO v OR thread, lol :blink:

Anyhows, Every GPS I've used I've used with the backlight on. In fact I used my OR today in bright sun all afternoon (6 hours) and didn't lose a bar of battery power (using the all hallowed Sanyo eneloops). Using the OR in it's correct position, level, I've never had a problem with screen visibility, light on or off. Wish i had taken a photo. I would be hesitant to use the OR with a non-adjustable bike mount though in sun. Which is why i used Rich Owen's idea for an adjustable OR/CO bike mount from his website.

The PN-40 / Garmin 60 / Etrexes have the brightest screens. The PN-40 is orange as well, so wins hands down for the best retina-bashing GPS unit out there! (tongue firmly in cheek).

Edited by Maingray

He doesn't like the Oregon :( This is actually not a PN40 v OR thread, but a CO v OR thread, lol :blink:

Anyhows, Every GPS I've used I've used with the backlight on. In fact I used my OR today in bright sun all afternoon (6 hours) and didn't lose a bar of battery power (using the all hallowed Sanyo eneloops). Using the OR in it's correct position, level, I've never had a problem with screen visibility, light on or off. Wish i had taken a photo. I would be hesitant to use the OR with a non-adjustable bike mount though in sun. Which is why i used Rich Owen's idea for an adjustable OR/CO bike mount from his website.

The PN-40 / Garmin 60 / Etrexes have the brightest screens. The PN-40 is orange as well, so wins hands down for the best retina-bashing GPS unit out there! (tongue firmly in cheek).

:blink: I'll give you that much. I couldn't help but feel conspicuous when I first took it outside. I was sure everyone within a mile of me could see the darn thing glowing in my hands. :blink:

I've since become used to the bright color. People that know me know I'm a geek so it has become a badge of honor particularly when they see the cool factor of the imagery. The end result is I'm asked at work now if I went looking for one of those geo-thingies this past weekend. :huh: I also have a co-worker intrigued by the geocaching hobby and is wanting to look for an urban cache near us. Frankly, geocaching has beome so mainstream the casual observer is almost bored of it so stealth is not much of a factor with exception to the actual retrieval now. :(

Heck, some of my ties are brighter and louder.

Edited by TotemLake

Speaking of "that other GPS" ......

Has anyone else noted the ABSENCE of pics posted by the "cheering squad" showing a side by side (for accurate size/sunlight visibility) comparison of the orange lollypop with an Oregon ,Colorado,Map60-76 series ?

Since I have absolutely no need for another GPS (save my old Maggie which is backup), I can't show side-by-sides, sorry. But, judging by your post, it wouldn't make a bit of difference, would it? :rolleyes: It appears to me that many Garmin users feel compelled to own several units...is this telling of how dependable they perceive their units to be?? :laughing::anibad::o

As for the "simple as that' comment...the test was to find out which screen was best without backlight, wasn't it? Simply turning on the light doesn't quite match the desired test, does it?? Stating that the battery only drains somewhat faster doesn't mean it's the same as not having the light on either...does it? But then, you can always fall back on the "but my batteries still last longer than some" argument....to justify the need to use a backlight!

Some might remember that Garmin has had a LOT of time to get their units as good as they are, while DeLorme has made 2 attempts so far. Judging by the huge ripples the DeLormes have made in those 2 tries while I see Garmin having much the same problems (yes, even with more experience in the GPS building field), I'd say Garmin has a serious competitor nipping on it's heels! ;) Garmin could have made a superior unit, but they continue to miss the mark, leaving the door open!

"the test was to find out which screen was best without backlight"

Isn't that like saying lets findout whose car is easiest to drive with the headlights off? :o

Someone might want to know this but most people?

If the battery life is ok use the headlights.

Sorry, but read the OP again and see what they asked....it wasn't what had best view with backlight on, it wasn't how well the battery lasted, it was which one has the best view without the backlight on. Comparing apples to oranges is not even close to answering the question at hand!

Truly, all that poster is doing is mistating the facts which is very misleading. He wants you to believe that a simple fix for the crummy view in sunlight is to push a button and you've somehow made adjustments. Nope, you've simply turned on the backlight....big difference from a simple adjustment fix, IMHO!

Edited by Rockin Roddy

Looks like we might be getting some sun this weekend, and if so, I can post a pic of my garmin Legend HCx next to my DeLorme PN-40. Don't have an OR or CO, or know anyone with either, so can't do any more than that. I do have a Garmin Streetpilot car GPS, I could have that in the picture, too. It is a touchscreen Garmin, although I have no idea how that touchscreen membrane relates to the one on the OR. Heck, I'll just get a pic of the Legend HCx, the PN-40, the Streetpilot, my Navigon car unit, and my Dell Axim PDA, just a little bit of everything GPS-related that I have.

"Truly, all that poster is doing is mistating the facts which is very misleading. He wants you to believe that a simple fix for the crummy view in sunlight is to push a button and you've somehow made adjustments."

As soon as you touch the screen of an Oregon the backlight comes on - a "fix?" - its hardly difficult.

You are 100% correct, the OP said "have the best sunlight screen visibility without backlight" BUT surely a more useful comparison is which have the best sunlight screen visibility - the answer is probably not the Oregon but why restrict the thread to an artificial situation? If the backlight can be used and the battery life is OK then use it .......

"Truly, all that poster is doing is mistating the facts which is very misleading. He wants you to believe that a simple fix for the crummy view in sunlight is to push a button and you've somehow made adjustments."

As soon as you touch the screen of an Oregon the backlight comes on - a "fix?" - its hardly difficult.

You are 100% correct, the OP said "have the best sunlight screen visibility without backlight" BUT surely a more useful comparison is which have the best sunlight screen visibility - the answer is probably not the Oregon but why restrict the thread to an artificial situation? If the backlight can be used and the battery life is OK then use it .......

If you've been paying attention to the other threads, the debate is over viewable screens without the use of the backlight, which makes this suggestion superfluous and not germane to the debate. That is, it's not on topic. :o

Edited by TotemLake

When you go to the movies, why is it they only play the one advertised??

When you go to the movies, why is it they only play the one advertised??

Surely most PN-40 users would rather it watch it on the TV than that bog ole movie screen??

On topic, no sun today but I'll have a craftily angled OR screen soon.

:unsure::) Now THAT'S one way to quickly adjust the viewability of the screen!! It might not be practical for some users, but it is a fix! :D

And, a "big old" screen would be preferred...if it were clear!! Maybe one day, we'll see this? We can all only hope! Truly, I like the screen of the CO, I just can't get past the "wheel".

I hope to go to an event in the near future, I KNOW there'll be OR and CO users there. I'll try to get some pics!!

Edited by Rockin Roddy

Low angle sun with the unit lying flat. With and without the aerial. No backlight on in either shot. You can see the shadow line on the right and bottom of the screen. That's a glass table in the background for more glare.

Ooh saw this thread again so ran out and took a quick one.. nothing fancy, no camera flash just in sun on glass table and just looking straight down..you can see a shadow line at bottom as well. Resizing the image for the web gave a weird checkerboard pattern on the screen... not really like that.

No backlight.

IMGP0166a.jpg

Edited by Maingray

Here is a cell phone photo of a PN-20 taken about mid-day today in the car mount with the sun at a fairly high angle. The power cable was unplugged before taking this picture so the backlight should be off but to be honest with the sun at this angle it is hard to tell as the backlight does not make much difference under these conditions.

f937f585-bd80-4677-8d79-0af028408083.jpg

Low angle sun with the unit lying flat. With and without the aerial. No backlight on in either shot. You can see the shadow line on the right and bottom of the screen. That's a glass table in the background for more glare.

Ooh saw this thread again so ran out and took a quick one.. nothing fancy, no camera flash just in sun on glass table and just looking straight down..you can see a shadow line at bottom as well. Resizing the image for the web gave a weird checkerboard pattern on the screen... not really like that.

No backlight.

I know what you mean about the pixelation of the screen. It was wierd to see that on my larger images.

My greatest concern from this thread is the comparison between glass tables. Totem, do you find the patterned glass has greater "non slip" properties (say, for cold adult beverages) than my dimpled glass table?

Actually it's smooth on top and it has great slide capabilities for getting the glass to hit hte edge for that perfect spill into one's lap when seated next to it while enjoying a nice lazy afternoon. Nothing like a Mai Tai in the lap to encourage the bees. :D:P

Edited by TotemLake

Here is a cell phone shot of my PN-40 with no backlight and the sun hitting it at the right angle. A shadow has been positioned across the screen so that you can see the effect of the sunlight on the screen. Its very dark in the shade but the screen is lit up well for the portion in the sun. No need for a backlight on a bright sunny day provided you have the sun at the right angle.

e98e4d89-734e-402f-822a-096d89f8c317.jpg

I dont have a pic, but maybe Garmin has a newer Orgeon. Mine looks almost the same in the sun backlight or not, and both are easily readable. What is weird, is I am super critical and I expected a problem with this. Maybe i will go try to pop a pic.

Edit to add pics:

73890600.th.jpg

69954967.th.jpg

97639927.th.jpg

22232667.th.jpg

The first was in a car, the second on my porch. The first the moonroof gave a glare on the one.

XL w/ full backlight on both pics. It is my XL paperweight. The first Oregon is with backlight and the second is without. (In each of the photos.)

The XL has an Invisible Shield. The Oregon has piece of packing tape. This is why the screen looks sooo bad. I need order a cover...

I find the backlight on the Oregon most helpful inside.

Edited by Knight2000

My greatest concern from this thread is the comparison between glass tables. Totem, do you find the patterned glass has greater "non slip" properties (say, for cold adult beverages) than my dimpled glass table?

Actually it's smooth on top and it has great slide capabilities for getting the glass to hit hte edge for that perfect spill into one's lap when seated next to it while enjoying a nice lazy afternoon. Nothing like a Mai Tai in the lap to encourage the bees. :D;)

Yeah, those smooth tops are dangerous for certain, could lead to alcohol abuse, that's a bad thing! :D :D

The XL has an Invisible Shield. The Oregon has piece of packing tape. This is why the screen looks sooo bad. I need order a cover...

I find the backlight on the Oregon most helpful inside.

Packing tape ! LOL!

If you look up to my image I should have said mine had a Invisible Shield on too.

Edited by Maingray