ticks

rovers3

Just for you information.

The clinic that I work at in Toronto west end removed 21 ticks in various stages of development from a dog yesterday. The dog is walked in nearby parks and hydro corridors in this area. It looks like the new season may be a banner one.

Ticks are no laughing matter.

I train with other bloodhound handlers in Virginia and VA is infested with ticks. Two of my friends have acquired lyme's disease from ticks down there.

You should always check the K9 and yourself for ticks. K9's should use protection like revolution.

Another good idea is to wear boot elastics to keep them from crawling up your legs. Gross, I know, but it does happen.

Ticks are no laughing matter.

I train with other bloodhound handlers in Virginia and VA is infested with ticks. Two of my friends have acquired lyme's disease from ticks down there.

You should always check the K9 and yourself for ticks. K9's should use protection like revolution.

Another good idea is to wear boot elastics to keep them from crawling up your legs. Gross, I know, but it does happen.

Watch your shirts too. I had one sneak between the buttons on one of my long sleeve hiking shirts. It's not just grass that you need to watch too - they CAN be found on the end of low branches, just not as often.

Do not keep a concentrated supply of Revolution(?-may be that other anti tick chemical) where your cat can get to it - it is fatal to cats, but from what I am told it is safe to apply tick products to clothing and still handle your cats when you get home.

Edited by northernpenguin

The clinic that I work at in Toronto west end removed 21 ticks in various stages of development from a dog yesterday. The dog is walked in nearby parks and hydro corridors in this area. It looks like the new season may be a banner one.

Dog ticks only or where there any deer ticks?

They were dog ticks.

Mostly in a hydro corridor in Etobicoke.

Revolution is only good against the Brown Dog Tick and the American Dog tick. The tick needs to ingest the drug while feeding on the dog before it will die so Revolution is NOT A REPELLANT. It can take up to 3 days for the tick to die and even when dead it will not necessarily detach and fall off.

an exerpt from the following web page may help

http://www.lymeneteurope.org/info/deet-ver...-tick-repellent

The Minnesota Insect-Borne Disease Education Council conducted a field test in Jay Cook State Park in northern Minnesota, and found that the permethrin products outperformed the DEET-containing tick repellents. A shoe was sprayed with Duranon (0.5% permethrin). Three weeks later, it was tested against a recently sprayed shoe using Deep Woods Off (35 % DEET). Ticks that made contact with the Duranon-sprayed shoe immediately rolled up and dropped off. Ticks on the soaking-wet DEET saturated shoe continued to crawl unimpaired.

One last tip for you fishermen out there: DEET is perhaps one of the most effective fish repellents known to man. Just a few parts per million can send game fish like salmon and trout to the other end of the fish tank. If you like to keep mosquito repellent in your tackle box, you may have unknowingly contaminated all of your fishing lures! Be sure to take care not to handle any fishing tackle once you have applied mosquito repellent. Just a few parts-per-million can repel more fish than mosquitoes!

To avoid ticks:

Wear light-colored clothing.

Tuck your pants into your socks.

Tuck your shirt into your pants.

Wear a hat.

Spray your shoes, socks, belt-line, collar and hat with a permethrin-containing tick repellent.

Do a tick check after walking in high-risk areas.

Put any clothes that might have live ticks on them into a hot dryer for ten minutes to kill all insects.

I guess I'll be trying out the Permethrin I got in the U.S. sooner than I thought. And the 2 boxes of product probably won't last very long...

I bought the Sawyer's spray last year. Its supposed to last 6 weeks on the clothing even when washed.

Think I'll be caching in the north this summer!

Thank you for the information in this thread - I just started Geocaching and am finding the ticks a problem - one attached to me while Geocaching near a mall! This past weekend we found a few in the Stewart State Forest here in Newburgh and my friend was covered in them after finding one of the caches. I thought I would have to quit before getting started. I've ordered the Sawyers repellant and hope to be better prepared in the future.

Sue

I guess I'll be trying out the Permethrin I got in the U.S. sooner than I thought. And the 2 boxes of product probably won't last very long...

I bought the Sawyer's spray last year. Its supposed to last 6 weeks on the clothing even when washed.

Think I'll be caching in the north this summer!

I noticed Nozz posted links to where he ordered his permethrin and I found that quite helpful. Wondering if we all could post links or give store names to where one could find these products.

The more informed we are, the more we all enjoy the game. :)

Revolution is a great product, I use it on my dog too, it just does not repell ticks.

You need something with permethrin, like preventic spray or collar

i've spoken to my vet and they strongly advise against using the preventic collar as we have 2 cats in the house. even though the dogs have no contact with the cats i was told just handling the dogs and then the cats without careful hand washing could be dangerous to the cats. i guess it's back to revolution and a thorough body check after each walk.

emzernask this may be of help to you, the main problem with the preventic collar that contains Amiraz is if the animal chews on it. By animal I mean dog cat human etc.

Question: "Have multiple clients wanting some form of tick control for their dogs--unfortunately don't have any other good options here in Canada. Are the preventic collars safe to use on dogs that live with cats?

Obviously Amitraz NOT safe for use on cats but what if it's in their environment?"

Answer: "Good question and it has been asked in VIN (Veterinary Information Network) before. I have been using these collars on dogs in mixed dog and cat households for many years without a problem to any of the cats. There just doesn't seems to be enough exposure to the cats by simply rubbing or lying next to or with the dogs wearing the collar. Very effective collar for ticks.

Frontline not up there? Still Preventic better for ticks I think."

Mark Grossman DVM MS

VIN consultant: Toxicology

Coordinator: Georgia Animal Poison Information Center (1988-1990)

also the following link http://www.drugs.com/vet/preventic-tick-collar-can.html

Edited by rovers3