LAPTOP AND WIRELESS INTERNET?

HOGFEVER

I'm thinking about buying a mid range laptop and using Verizon wireless or? for my internet connection. The idea of being able to download or post finds while on the road appeals to me.Any info or suggestions are welcome,thanks.

I hope that Money is no object for you then..

Vwireless data plans can be somewhat expensive.

I normally will find a hotspot somewhere while caching to get extra info or connect to the internet.

There are a LOT of places that have wi-fi access hotspots.

I'm assuming you will be traveling and staying in motels? Most motels have wireless access for free. I have a laptop that I carry with me and down load new caches , reload my gps and log caches all the time. The only thing you need watch is your e-mail provider and if you can access it while out and about.

The data plan will cost you more than $60 per month (guess) which is why more of us don't do it. Thats more than $720 in the first year alone. Plus the cost of the modem and the laptop. Most laptops are not rugged enough to be packed around like that so figure a new (cheap) laptop at least once per year. If you have a good use outside of Geocaching it might make more sense.

You can get a top end Oregon or Colorado unit with all the maps and spend less then that - and will last much longer than 1 year. Hook up to the Internet in the evening and upload your finds.

Good alternative - look into the Trimble Navigator app.

Also Get a premium membership and then you can use the PQ feature and load up to 500 caches with all the info from the web page either to a gps like the Oregon, Nuvi 500 or to a pda for paperless caching. The 500 cache is per PQ some devices will hold more.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showforum=11 Also look around in this forum Has a lot of good Info.

Edited by snowball 58

I'm thinking about buying a mid range laptop and using Verizon wireless or? for my internet connection. The idea of being able to download or post finds while on the road appeals to me.Any info or suggestions are welcome,thanks.

I hope that Money is no object for you then..

Vwireless data plans can be somewhat expensive.

I normally will find a hotspot somewhere while caching to get extra info or connect to the internet.

There are a LOT of places that have wi-fi access hotspots.

Heck,you are right I didn't even think about all the wi-fi hotspots.

If the only thing you will use it for is Geocaching, not really worth it. Besides, there are enough hotspots and open networks when you need to just to a quick post to just use your wireless.

The Blackberry, especially with Verizon, is probably the most economical. I pay $15 extra for unlimited internet but I got mine almost a year ago. Their plans have changed. My neighbor is paying $29 for unlimited on his blackberry he got a little over a week ago, but still fairly cheap for what you get, especially when compared to some other alternatives. You can then also get Cacheberry to have your database handy so internet is even less of an issue.

I had a verizon broadband card ($60 a month) for some time and it was great. Internet from my RV anywhere I went. Recently dumped it when I got a Blackberry. You then buy the tetherberry program and use that for your internet connection when needed at no extra charge.

Two qucik notes. Using you Blackberry as a modem cost $15 a month extra. Also, you can not purchase a Blackberry, or other smartphone for that matter, without a data plan anymore.

People have tried it on a Kindle but it is very awkward.

Scubasonic. You might want to look at Tetherberry.com they have a program (one time purchase) that allows you to hook up w/o paying your service. Has gotten good reviews although some people have had problems. They have a 30 day trial period.

I have used the service from Verizon that you turn on/off as needed and it works great but tetherberry is free. Lifetime of device.

If the only thing you will use it for is Geocaching, not really worth it. Besides, there are enough hotspots and open networks when you need to just to a quick post to just use your wireless.

The Blackberry, especially with Verizon, is probably the most economical. I pay $15 extra for unlimited internet but I got mine almost a year ago. Their plans have changed. My neighbor is paying $29 for unlimited on his blackberry he got a little over a week ago, but still fairly cheap for what you get, especially when compared to some other alternatives. You can then also get Cacheberry to have your database handy so internet is even less of an issue.

Food for thought,I can get a blackberry fairly cheap if I renew my verizon contract.What is their latest model?

Food for thought,I can get a blackberry fairly cheap if I renew my verizon contract.What is their latest model?

The latest would be the Storm, however I own both and in my opinion the Curve (mine is the 8330) has less issues, is much more robust and seems to have better overall usability and seems much more intuitive.

To also be fair, a Treo (the Palm version 650 or 700) works very well to and I liked mine in many ways more than the Blackberry, however the data plan is $50 a month and you have to get your support from the user community or Palm direct as Verizon is fairly clueless when it comes to this particular device. Saving over $400 a year on the data plan can buy a new GPSr.

the newest model is the Storm. i would still point you twards a winmo phone. it does all a blackberry does and probably a lot more. having the Touch Pro, i have phone, internet, and GPS in one device, plus any slew of games and apps that are free. i would have to look into the blackberry but does it have a stand alone integrated GPS chip or is it just using aGPS?

The latest would be the Storm, however I own both and in my opinion the Curve (mine is the 8330) has less issues, is much more robust and seems to have better overall usability and seems much more intuitive.

To also be fair, a Treo (the Palm version 650 or 700) works very well to and I liked mine in many ways more than the Blackberry, however the data plan is $50 a month and you have to get your support from the user community or Palm direct as Verizon is fairly clueless when it comes to this particular device. Saving over $400 a year on the data plan can buy a new GPSr.

So with the blackberry and internet plan will I be able to post finds to this site when traveling?

Watch the data plan. They tend to cap the data and charge more if you exceed whatever cap they give you. Something like an iPhone which I think (emphasis on the not 100% sure part of 'think') has an unlimited data play may work better.

If you won't exceed the cap, you would probably be good to go.

Intel also has WiMax out now that you should look at for one of your options.

So with the blackberry and internet plan will I be able to post finds to this site when traveling?

Yes. As a premium member I get instant email notifications of new caches. I then can plug the coords into my GPS and go for the find. Then on to the GC site to log the find from the cache site.

...Two qucik notes. Using you Blackberry as a modem cost $15 a month extra. Also, you can not purchase a Blackberry, or other smartphone for that matter, without a data plan anymore.

Is that a recent change? I have a smartphone and shut off the data plan. WiFi is enough for me. It shut down my multimedia texting though. That I miss. This is on Verizon.

Watch the data plan. They tend to cap the data and charge more if you exceed whatever cap they give you. Something like an iPhone which I think (emphasis on the not 100% sure part of 'think') has an unlimited data play may work better.

If you won't exceed the cap, you would probably be good to go.

Intel also has WiMax out now that you should look at for one of your options.

verizon's data is now unlimited for $29.99/mo if you want tethering its an extra $15 but i think there is a bypass on that for both the BB and the WM phones. i know for a fact it is on the WM phones.

...Two qucik notes. Using you Blackberry as a modem cost $15 a month extra. Also, you can not purchase a Blackberry, or other smartphone for that matter, without a data plan anymore.

Is that a recent change? I have a smartphone and shut off the data plan. WiFi is enough for me. It shut down my multimedia texting though. That I miss. This is on Verizon.

yes, that was also one of the Jan 01 changes. i have a 6800(titan) pre jan with no data but bought the TP after and HAD to have data. if you werent gettig your pix(MMS) messages you should have called and complained to VZN. MMS has nothing to do with the internet service and they know that but wont fix it unless you call and b^tch about it.

It shut down my multimedia texting though. That I miss. This is on Verizon.

if you werent gettig your pix(MMS) messages you should have called and complained to VZN. MMS has nothing to do with the internet service and they know that but wont fix it unless you call and b^tch about it.

MMS data retrieval is over IP, unlike SMS. Verizon could allow MMS without allowing web browsing if they want, of course. No harm harassing them.

Off topic to RK : what do you use MMS for? I'm curious, don't meet many people who use MMS.

if you werent gettig your pix(MMS) messages you should have called and complained to VZN. MMS has nothing to do with the internet service and they know that but wont fix it unless you call and b^tch about it.

MMS data retrieval is over IP, unlike SMS. Verizon could allow MMS without allowing web browsing if they want, of course. No harm harassing them.

Off topic to RK : what do you use MMS for? I'm curious, don't meet many people who use MMS.

I don't want to derail this, but....

Muy earlier comment on them not knowing how to support the Treo was in part based on this very issue. At the time all the other phones, smartphone or not, was not being "hit" for data usage using MMS ExCEPT the Treo. We have a total of 5 phones in the family and we all had purchased unlimited texting and pics, when the bill came any MMS messages I got (which are all the notifies from GC) showed as extra data usage.

While Chrysalides is correct about the technology, there was no difference OTHER than it was the Treo. They claimed the Treo handled it as data and the others did not. Not true.

However back to the question at hand, when you go to Verizon, make sure it is the unlimited and not the 5 GB capped service, however using it as you indicate would probably not get you into trouble anyway. Hold your ground because many of these individuals in the store have no clue what happens in real world and only know as much as their manager feeds them.

A good source for information are the forums on Crackberry on this and many other subjects/issues covering both the phones and the providers..

I think you have it. Smartphones use the Data channel that I blocked out. Regular phones don't (or since they don't use Data the same way I didn't have to block it). Thus the other phones in the family plan have MMS and I don't (or more accuratly I can't use it because of the block).

As for what I use MMS for: Sending random pictures of goofy things to friends and family. Or to brag I'm out caching or having a frosty mug of beer, when my buddy is stuck at work. Of course they return the favor.

Edited by Renegade Knight

People have tried it on a Kindle but it is very awkward.

Scubasonic. You might want to look at Tetherberry.com they have a program (one time purchase) that allows you to hook up w/o paying your service. Has gotten good reviews although some people have had problems. They have a 30 day trial period.

I have used the service from Verizon that you turn on/off as needed and it works great but tetherberry is free. Lifetime of device.

Walts,

Hey thanks for the tip I will check it out so far the Tethering is working great through Verizon.

Scubasonic

We use a laptop with a wireless card. Due to my husband's profession, Verizon gave us a wireless card for free. We just had to pay for the monthly access.

We use the laptop on the road a lot, not just for geocaching. It also gets left in the car, covered up when we are not using it. If you do go down that road, don't forget the car adapter power supply!

To give you a little from both sides.......

Yes, you could use a laptop with Verizon internet. When I added it the modem was free with a contract. I already had the laptop and could use the wireless internet for work related activities. I still am using it for both and can write part of the cost off my taxes as business expense.

Depending on your location, many place offer free wireless access. (Around here it's McDonalds, Coffee Shops, and most rest stops to name a few)

If you don't have to have access on the trail you wouldn't have to pay for connection by using Verizon.

Unless the local restaurant is picking up the cost, McDonalds offers wifi but it is NOT free. I looked into it at one point but it is not easy or cheap. There are places that offer free wifi but I am yet to find one on a secure network.

If you are looking 'just for' or 'primarily for' geocaching, I would go with a blackberry and associated programs. It would be more cost effective for you.

In the end, you will need to look at your cost versus usage and determine what suits your needs and wants the best.

-edit to add quote, correct spelling & correct grammar-

Edited by DiamondDaveG

If this is all you're using this laptop for, you're wasting a ton of money by buying a "midrange laptop" - a netbook for under $400 will more than suffice.

We took my wifes laptop with us a few weeks ago for paperless caching. (Bulky- i know.)

Almost everywhere that we were there were wireless networks to connect to. If you were near a commercial or residential area- lots of networks to connect to.

We only noticed that going out once. I posted maybe two logs while we were out. I would much rather do it at home though as i like to post more detailed logs and upload pictures.

You can usually find several open WI-FI connections in the nearest residential neighborhood.

I use my Blackberry all the time when my family geocache. I find surfing geocache.com is a breeze to look up past logs or get new information. I think a laptop would be a pain in the backside....If you had one with a GPSr, you could have an "all in one device".

Joe sends

This week I've found that both my PDA and Verizon phone are either dying or dead. I can't bring myself to buy another Palm, as that is now an obsolete product. I, too, will be visiting the Verizon store. The only question I had is will a Blackberry work with Cachemate? I've been using cachemate for a couple of years, and don't like change. :)

Lots of great info here,so much so that I will be going to the Verizon store soon for a demo.Thanks to all.

This week I've found that both my PDA and Verizon phone are either dying or dead. I can't bring myself to buy another Palm, as that is now an obsolete product. I, too, will be visiting the Verizon store. The only question I had is will a Blackberry work with Cachemate? I've been using cachemate for a couple of years, and don't like change. :)

You might want to think about going to a Sprint store instead of Verizon. Verizon seems to lock out the GPS functionality of a BlackBerry unless you pay to use one of Verizon's own applications.

If you want to use Trimble's Geocache Navigator it will work on a Sprint Blackberry, but not on a Verizon BlackBerry. I suspect that same thing may apply to Cachemate as well.

I don't have experience, so merely checking with those who do - is it possible to use a Kindle for this?

The Kindle works with geocaching.com, but it won't display any of the maps. The Kindle 2 seems to no longer be able to access Google maps, either. So it can't be used for navigation.