NEWWWWW

DonMurph

I have always lived on long island and well i heard of this and i love the outdoors and would like to start finding caches.. looking to get my buddy into it aswell.. anyone want to help me out on what i need and what to do lol

You started in the right place. Keep reading the posts and it will come together for you. Search for caches in your area and see what's out there, get a GPSr and load the easy ones, go for it and have FUN! Maybe stay away from micros 'till you have a few under your belt.

Ask questions as they come to you, If answers are already posted here someone will point you in the right direction. DO NOT get discouraged and above all HAVE FUN!

DonMurph -- Welcome to the World of Geocaching. My one suggestion to you is that there are a few upcoming events scheduled in your area which you might want to attend. There, you'll be able to meet other cachers and ask any questions you might have. I'm sure you'll get ALOT of information but, hopefully, you'll absorb the pertinent points that can help you on your way. I would also like to suggest you check out caches in Blydenburgh County Park. You can easily spend a whole day (or two) in there finding caches and there's a nice assortment of caches to be found. Just one warning -- It's ALOT of walking in there (Stump Pond tends to interfere with your straight-line approach to some of the caches on the other side) :lol::laughing: .

Here's 2 links to those events:

Metro NY Geocaching "Snack-Luck" Gathering

WWFM-V Heckscher Park, Huntington

DonMurph -- Welcome to the World of Geocaching. My one suggestion to you is that there are a few upcoming events scheduled in your area which you might want to attend. There, you'll be able to meet other cachers and ask any questions you might have. I'm sure you'll get ALOT of information but, hopefully, you'll absorb the pertinent points that can help you on your way. I would also like to suggest you check out caches in Blydenburgh County Park. You can easily spend a whole day (or two) in there finding caches and there's a nice assortment of caches to be found. Just one warning -- It's ALOT of walking in there (Stump Pond tends to interfere with your straight-line approach to some of the caches on the other side) :lol::laughing: .

Here's 2 links to those events:

Metro NY Geocaching "Snack-Luck" Gathering

WWFM-V Heckscher Park, Huntington

Welcome to the game! You are in luck, you live in a very active caching area, Long Island has lots of caches and lots of great, dedicated cachers.

There are two regional organizations that might interest you:

LIGO (Long Island Geocaching Organization): http://www.ligeocaching.com/

Metro NY Geocaching Org: http://www.metrogc.org

Metro NY is more geared towards the 5 boros and Westchester/Rockland Counties (I live in southern Westchester), but it appers to be more active than LIGO right now and Long Island (at least Nassau County) is becoming more prominent within it, from what I've seen, many LI cachers are active in both.

Enjoy!