Unglued/Loose Rubber Surround On Legend GPSr

Techwiz

Having problems with the glue releasing or letting go from the rubber surround on an Etrex Model GPS?

I am a Garmin Dealer and I have ordered the following parts to repair my backup GPSrs. The problem as you know is that the glue releases from the rubber surround on the Legend C series GPSrs and then the surround seems to float around the unit. My Garmin Rep. said it was okay to publish these part numbers. If you are having trouble, order the parts from Garmin and fix your GPSr yourself. The parts are really inexpensive.

Here are the Garmin part numbers for the rubber surround and the glue strips:

249-00069-01 and 414-00041-06

Order both parts, install them and your Legend C series will be as good as new.

Techwiz

Techwiz

Be careful about the part numbers. I have a Legend HCx which is the same form factor as the C. I ordered the replacement parts 2 weeks ago and they shipped the 2 part numbers above.

Turns out 249-00069-01 (tape) is for the old B&W series but 414-00041-06 (rubber seal) is for the C and HCx series. I called back and they shipped the correct tape which is part # 249-00069-02.

I was told the parts were $5 and shipping was $5 for a total of $10 (from Kansas to St. Louis). The correct part was shipped at no extra cost. But, when I opened my Discover bill, the Garmin charge was $19.37. I called Garmin and was told the first rep was wrong and the parts are $5 EACH and shipping is $8. Why $1.37 more? He said it was sales tax; I never realized they taxed shipping cost!

They had these seal problems with the eTrex line since I bought my first one in 2001 and they always repaired them under warranty, sometimes more than once. I'm just surprised they even charge for the parts since it's an ongoing problem.

Techwiz

Be careful about the part numbers. I have a Legend HCx which is the same form factor as the C. I ordered the replacement parts 2 weeks ago and they shipped the 2 part numbers above.

Turns out 249-00069-01 (tape) is for the old B&W series but 414-00041-06 (rubber seal) is for the C and HCx series. I called back and they shipped the correct tape which is part # 249-00069-02.

I was told the parts were $5 and shipping was $5 for a total of $10 (from Kansas to St. Louis). The correct part was shipped at no extra cost. But, when I opened my Discover bill, the Garmin charge was $19.37. I called Garmin and was told the first rep was wrong and the parts are $5 EACH and shipping is $8. Why $1.37 more? He said it was sales tax; I never realized they taxed shipping cost!

They had these seal problems with the eTrex line since I bought my first one in 2001 and they always repaired them under warranty, sometimes more than once. I'm just surprised they even charge for the parts since it's an ongoing problem.

I just ordered my new rubber. Thanks for the help. As for the tax, If a company has a store of a facility in the state your in, they must charge your local tax.

When the same thing happened to my Garmin Venture & Legend (most likely due to being exposed to high heat for too long), I was recommended some type of epoxy that fixed it right up for just a couple bucks. The sides haven't moved at all since. It was a very fast fix. If memory serves, I found the epoxy at Kmart or some other place like that.

Techwiz,

What did you use to clean up the old glue mess? Also, since the glue strip sent to me has adhesive on one side only, how will the rubber band stay in place?

I used fingernail polish remover. Enamel reducer, Prepsol, and items like that should work too.

The tape you received is TWO sided tape. Once the glue is cleaned off the GPS, remove the paper backing and apply the tape to the GPS. Then carefully remove the outer plastic from the tape around the GPS. It looks like it's 1 piece, but once the plastic is removed, it will leave a very thin piece of 2 sided tape, with 1 side stuck to the GPS. Then slip the rubber "band" around the GPS and align correctly before pressing everything in place.

Rich

Techwiz,

What did you use to clean up the old glue mess? Also, since the glue strip sent to me has adhesive on one side only, how will the rubber band stay in place?

I used fingernail polish remover. Enamel reducer, Prepsol, and items like that should work too.

The tape you received is TWO sided tape. Once the glue is cleaned off the GPS, remove the paper backing and apply the tape to the GPS. Then carefully remove the outer plastic from the tape around the GPS. It looks like it's 1 piece, but once the plastic is removed, it will leave a very thin piece of 2 sided tape, with 1 side stuck to the GPS. Then slip the rubber "band" around the GPS and align correctly before pressing everything in place.

Rich

Darn! Just spoke to the folks at Garmin and they won't sell the parts to me saying it has to be sent in.. Original Garmin Legend. For 80 bucks, it's just not worth sending in. For the same price I can get a Venture HC refurb or new for a bit more. I wish GPS' were like cell phones where they sold aftermarket shells.

After I cleaned off the leftover glue, I used packing tape to seal up the seam on the unit. Then I used Black Silicone Adhesive Sealant (used to make engine gaskets) to glue the rubber back on. It's rather messy to work with, but if you're careful, it's not bad. It cost me about $3 at Wally-World, and is made to stand up to engine temperatures. Hasn't come off yet.