Don't always believe the salesman

I've just blown half my redundancy money on a new(er) cache-mobile. This one has built in sat-nav but after talking to the salesman, I didn't think it was going to be of much use as according to him, you could only enter a postal address as a destination. "But it's really clever" says he, "If you don't know the address, you can just enter the town name and it will take you to the town centre."

Hmmm..... really clever, that. However, the car's other features (over 200bhp and more torque than you can shake a stick at) overshadowed the sat-nav's apparent short comings so I bought it anyway. Well, I had a play with it (the sat-nav, that is) when I got it home and the first thing I see in the destination options is "Enter GPS Coordinates". Yeeeeesssss.... Result!!!!

It will only accept HDDD.MM.SS but I can live with that. Maybe I'll get a FTF or two now

:antenna::antenna:

Well, I had a play with it (the sat-nav, that is) when I got it home and the first thing I see in the destination options is "Enter GPS Coordinates". Yeeeeesssss.... Result!!!!

It will only accept HDDD.MM.SS but I can live with that. Maybe I'll get a FTF or two now

:antenna::antenna:

More details please! Is it waterproof? How good is the battery life? How many waypoints will it take? Does it have a Sirf Chipset? Most importantly - whats the make and model!

My parents' Cache mobile's Sat Nav also takes coords, in the same format as yours - great for a day out caching - but I always leave them behind - you have to do each one as you go, converting it into the correct format 1st - whereas I download a POI via a PQ to Tom tom and off I go...

However - great considering you don't have to go and buy a stand alone!!

Edited by HazelS
More details please! Is it waterproof? How good is the battery life? How many waypoints will it take? Does it have a Sirf Chipset? Most importantly - whats the make and model!

Yes, unless you leave the windows open in the car wash

I hope I never find out.... It's too big to carry in my ruck-sack

I've no idea... the 'Users Manual' probably makes no mention of such things (even if I'd bothered to read it)

See previous answer

Peugeot 407 SW HDi 2.7 V6 GT

:laughing::lol:

Peugeot 407 SW HDi 2.7 V6 GT

:lol:;)

Good man, just like me, CO2 aware.. NOT!! :P

Just wait till the road tax reminder lands on the doormat... OUCH! :D

Mines a Meriva VXR turbo, 212bhp, 146 mph flat out on private track, gps registered speed, not vx speedo! :laughing:

I've just blown half my redundancy money on a new(er) cache-mobile. This one has built in sat-nav but after talking to the salesman, I didn't think it was going to be of much use as according to him, you could only enter a postal address as a destination. "But it's really clever" says he, "If you don't know the address, you can just enter the town name and it will take you to the town centre."

Hmmm..... really clever, that. However, the car's other features (over 200bhp and more torque than you can shake a stick at) overshadowed the sat-nav's apparent short comings so I bought it anyway. Well, I had a play with it (the sat-nav, that is) when I got it home and the first thing I see in the destination options is "Enter GPS Coordinates". Yeeeeesssss.... Result!!!!

:laughing::rolleyes:

I use a Mio PDA running TomTom for that. The BIG advantage, is that I can load it up with 11,000 POIs from my GSAK database, plus all the Tescos, KFCs and McDonalds. The satnav in my car, I can't see any way to put data into it, except one POI at a time.

Another plus, is that I have Memory Map on the same Mio, so it acts as a backup GPS, in case my main one goes pear-shaped. When you're in the middle of a 70-cache ring, it's nice to know you have a backup!

I've also found a way to run my PDAs from AA batteries, so that's the end of worries about running out of power.

The BIG advantage, is that I can load it up with 11,000 POIs from my GSAK database

Ahhh.... so you're going for the 'Most caches in 24 hours' record as well :ph34r:

I use a Mio PDA running TomTom for that.................<snip>...............I've also found a way to run my PDAs from AA batteries, so that's the end of worries about running out of power.

I also have a Garmin iQue 3600 which allows me to do the same, albeit without MemoryMap as it's a Palm device. I've changed the 'built-in' battery for one with almost twice the capacity so it's now a realistically useable device for a days caching and backup for my 60CSx. I can also run it from my 'Power Monkey' or a 4xAA battery extender if needs be.

Drsolly, I'm with you on the Mio PDA and stuff but what's this about running it from AA batteries ..... is this a secret you can share?

Pharisee has already posted a link to a battery extender. You just have to make sure that you get one that has the right sort of connector. Or get one with a USB connector that you can connect to the usb lead that can connect to your PDA. Or build your own (which is what I did for then Fujitsu Loox).