Oregon Cache Limit

I suspect the answer is yes since you have to load the cache in as part of a .gpx file and then mark it Found.

Thank you! That makes sense to me.

:laughing:

But once it is marked "found" if the GPX file is removed, then the "found" record remains in the "geocache_visits.txt" (Field Notes) file. This means that if you have a way to manipulate the GPX files while in the field, you can easily get around the 2000 geocache limit. Couple that with the ability to load your geocache GPX files on the micro-SD card and you have a powerful caching device where the 2000 cache limit is less critical...

I just bought an Oregon. I wanted to get rid of the Found caches, so I went to their FAQ. The only way to get rid of them is to go to the GPX file on the computer and drag the waypoint to the trash. I sure hope there is another way, as this is a real pain. You have to know the waypoint number, so I wrote down it down and then deleted it. I was caching in San Diego and had to do this everyday, as I didn't want to look at the found caches every night when I logged the finds. Is there an easier way?

I just bought an Oregon. I wanted to get rid of the Found caches, so I went to their FAQ. The only way to get rid of them is to go to the GPX file on the computer and drag the waypoint to the trash. I sure hope there is another way, as this is a real pain. You have to know the waypoint number, so I wrote down it down and then deleted it. I was caching in San Diego and had to do this everyday, as I didn't want to look at the found caches every night when I logged the finds. Is there an easier way?

If you mark the caches as "found", they won't appear in the geocache list. The point of keeping found caches on your GPS is to let you use the field notes function of the unit to log your caches via gc.com.

You can either then delete the txt file on the unit or tell gc.com to ignore finds before a certain date when you upload the file.

(also there is no need to use individual gpx files for each cache...use pocket queries from your gc.com premium membership to generate single gpx files containing all the caches you need)

Edited by Maingray

Delete the geocache_visits.txt file. All the found caches will be gone. Piece of cake.

Bill

This is incorrect -- deleting the geocache_visits.txt will do nothing to the geocaches on your unit.

In order to remove a geocache from your Oregon the cache needs to be removed from every gpx file you have installed under \Garmin\GPX .

Cache management is really very simple on these units if you are willing to use PQs or GSAK. It goes like this:

- Start by deleting all of the gpx files from \Garmin\GPX to remove any old files

1. Run a PQ which does NOT include any of your finds

2. Extract the gpx files from your PQ and copy them to \Garmin\GPX

3. Go find caches and mark them found (hopefully!) on the Oregon, enter notes, etc.

4. Upload your fieldnotes to geocaching.com

5. Log your finds on geocaching.com using your fieldnotes

6. Repeat starting at 1.)

You never need to delete found geocaches on the unit itself -- they just get removed as you replace the gpx file on your Oregon/Colorado.