Using true north versus magnetic

I have a problem, seems to me while i am holding my gps the arrow that shows to be me should be facing forward, it always seems it is backwards, i turn left and my arrow shows to be going right, am i that illiterate or is it supposed to be like this, is there a fix. I have a garmin gpsmap 60Cx, any and all help would be appreciated, Thanks

c-hawksearcher

First of all, the GPS doesn't care about true north vs. magnetic north when navigating to a cache. It is going to a specific lat/long and declination does not affect that.

What kind of GPS are you using? If it does not have an electronic compass then you need to be in motion for the arrow to point towards the cache. If you have an electronic compass, make sure you calibrate it after every battery change and hold it level. If you are not navigating to a waypoint, the arrow should point to north.

I have a problem, seems to me while i am holding my gps the arrow that shows to be me should be facing forward, it always seems it is backwards, i turn left and my arrow shows to be going right, am i that illiterate or is it supposed to be like this, is there a fix. I have a garmin gpsmap 60Cx, any and all help would be appreciated, Thanks

Your GPSr does not have an electronic compass. This means that it uses the GPS signal to determine your heading and requires some movement to get an "accurate" heading for you. If you are standing still and turning in place, that will not help you with the compass arrow on that GPSr.

The 60Cx doesn't have an electronic compass, so you need to be moving 2-3mph or faster for the compass screen to work. Now if you had a 60Csx this model has the electronic compass so as long as it's calibrated it will work correctly even standing still.

More info:

compass turned on or off?

Are you activly going to a waypoint using the find function?

ARe you moving or standing still when this happens?

That will help us narrow down the answers.

I have a garmin gpsmap 60Cx, it does have a compass and it is on, i use the find function to go to a waypoint, i usally move around to figure out which way my arrow is wanting me to go, I'm just getting started so i'm still trying to get this all down, I just figured it should be like driving a car, if i'm holding it and the cache is to the right of my arrow then i think i need to go to the right, but this is not the case, instead i have to go to the left, its like everything is opposite, i know i'm illiterate on this thing but i dont understand why its backwards, thanks for your help.

c-hawksearcher

More info:

compass turned on or off?

Are you activly going to a waypoint using the find function?

ARe you moving or standing still when this happens?

That will help us narrow down the answers.

I have a garmin gpsmap 60Cx, it does have a compass and it is on, i use the find function to go to a waypoint, i usally move around to figure out which way my arrow is wanting me to go, I'm just getting started so i'm still trying to get this all down, I just figured it should be like driving a car, if i'm holding it and the cache is to the right of my arrow then i think i need to go to the right, but this is not the case, instead i have to go to the left, its like everything is opposite, i know i'm illiterate on this thing but i dont understand why its backwards, thanks for your help.

c-hawksearcher

First of all, the GPS doesn't care about true north vs. magnetic north when navigating to a cache. It is going to a specific lat/long and declination does not affect that.

What kind of GPS are you using? If it does not have an electronic compass then you need to be in motion for the arrow to point towards the cache. If you have an electronic compass, make sure you calibrate it after every battery change and hold it level. If you are not navigating to a waypoint, the arrow should point to north.

c-hawksearcher

The 60Cx has a compass BUT it only works correctly when you are moving. If you are standing still it could point in any direction. The fact that is seems to point in the opposite direction is just a coincidence. Go out and try moving around and see what happens.

c-hawksearcher, It sounds more like you are travelling in a southernly direction with your GPS set to track "North Up". So it won't seem so confusing, change to "Track Up" From Main Menu > Map > Map Setup - General (the fist box with N) and change Orientation to "Track Up". This way no matter what direction/bearing you are traveling, as long as you are moving, your arrow pointing which way to go will match the direction you physically need to turn.

edit: What you are referring to sounds like what is called "Reverse Sensing" in aviation.

Edited by eaparks

I have a garmin gpsmap 60Cx, it does have a compass and it is on

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/compare.do?cID=...pareProduct=310

The 60Cx has a "pseudo-compass" which points your direction of movement based on your changing GPS location - but only while you are moving. When you are stationary or moving very slowly, it can point in any direction. It does NOT have a magnetic compass.

The 60CSx has a true electronic (magnetic) compass, which shows your direction even when standing still (provided you calibrate it and hold the unit level).

Hope this helps!

Edited by julianh

That's right. The 60Cx (I have one, got it when they first came out, never want to use anything else) has a compass function in software, but not an actual magnetic compass. Like everybody says, you have to move a few meters in a direction for the compass function to give you a heading. For my use, this is a no-brainer, and I don't miss the mag compass.

Same for the altimeter. The 60Cx has altitude display, based on 3-D triangulation from the satellites. However, it does not have an actual barometric sensor for altitude. In my experience the vertical EME is pretty darn good, and I don't miss the barometer.

I use the 60Cx mainly for hiking. However, I put on my bike, too, and I use it in the car for car trips. I don't need all that turn-by-turn stuff. I just want to know where on the map I am, what my speed and altitude are, and how far I have gone. The 60Cx is perfect for all of that.

Geocaching is a whole other world that I don't have the time to touch. So, the 60Cx serves my needs well enough that I don't even consider replacing it.

I have a problem, seems to me while i am holding my gps "THE ARROW THAT SHOWS TO BE ME" should be facing forward, it always seems it is backwards, i turn left and my arrow shows to be going right, am i that illiterate or is it supposed to be like this, is there a fix. I have a garmin gpsmap 60Cx, any and all help would be appreciated, Thanks

c-hawksearcher

All these posts, and NO ONE is paying any attention to what the OP said........what he's talking about is the little black triangle on the screen that shows to represent the current position......and THAT only shows the correct direction when the user is moving.

Contrary to what the OP says, the 60Cx DOES NOT have a compass. As mentioned above, it has a GPS "compass function" that only displays (compass) direction (when moving) as established by the direction of trackpoints plotted.

The random nature of points plotted while standing still causes "the pointing of current position triangle" on the screen to vary. When movement starts again, the arrow points correctly again.