Making your own trackable items....

So, I searched the forums for this topic but could'nt find anything.

Am I right in concluding that the only way to have trackable items is to pay for them????

I made my own Geo Bug/Coin and wanted to set it up so I could track it but it seems to me that the only way to do this is to buy existing items or pay a coin minter to make them for you. I am very disappointed with this.

I have spent hours designing and making my own personal item I want to track and it doesnt seem I can.

I am ok with spending a little money to somehow have my items added but I cant even find a way to add your own unique (not bought on a website or in a store) item.

Any ideas for this?

So, I searched the forums for this topic but could'nt find anything.

Am I right in concluding that the only way to have trackable items is to pay for them????

I made my own Geo Bug/Coin and wanted to set it up so I could track it but it seems to me that the only way to do this is to buy existing items or pay a coin minter to make them for you. I am very disappointed with this.

I have spent hours designing and making my own personal item I want to track and it doesnt seem I can.

I am ok with spending a little money to somehow have my items added but I cant even find a way to add your own unique (not bought on a website or in a store) item.

Any ideas for this?

I am not sure what you mean exactly, but you can buy Travel Bugs dog tags and use the number on your item (as in engrave, or write) so that they can be tracked on the Groundspeak website, as long as you use only one item per number, and do not reuse the TB tag on another item.

Several people have items that they track on their own web page, but their success rate will be significantly lower.

And you can find travel bugs on sale, so it's not that expensive if you have only a few items that you want to track. Less that 4$ each is easy to find. Also geocoins that don't sell are even less expensive than that sometimes. Not bad if all you need is the number that is printed on it.

Edited by Userzero

And you can find travel bugs on sale, so it's not that expensive if you have only a few items that you want to track. Less that 4$ each is easy to find. Also geocoins that don't sell are even less expensive than that sometimes. Not bad if all you need is the number that is printed on it.

I guess what I was looking for was a way to create and track your own items. Instead of buying from some list is there a way for me to have the items I made added to the list of trackable items. I mean some way to purchase an activation and tracking number for my own items?

I know some people do this as well with there own websites.... Any suggestions for how to setup a website like this? Or any examples of ones people have made?

Thanks for all your input!!!!

I mean some way to purchase an activation and tracking number for my own items?

It seems like this was answered in post number 2, unless there's more to what you want to do than purchase a tracking number for your own item.

If you want to create a small metal figure and etch a number into it for tracking, then buying a Travel Bug tag and using that number is the way to do that.

It takes time and effort to get a trackable item inserted into the system. Doing them one at a time would not be cost effective for the site, or you would have to pay a pretty high price for that service if it was offered on a per number basis. It is a business and they are out to make sure they cover their costs. You could buy tracking codes, but you have to buy a minimum number of them. That makes it worth their effort to get them into the system, and there is already a methodology in place for that. They randomize the tracking numbers to boot, so you cannot really give them your numbers and ask that they use them from what I understand. It has been a while since I bought coins though.

Items that are tracked on the site have to be reviewed and approved by the site to boot. This happens with every geocoin or other trackable item you see. You would have to provide them with photos of what you are trying to send out as a trackable item. It would then go to the proper people for review and then they would let you know if it is an OK item. Logo violations are a key issue. If you use the GC.com logo, it must say "geocaching.com" under it. Something like "track this item at geocaching.com" would also have to be on there. There are exceptions, and only they can answer any specific question you may have regarding exceptions.

You will need to email the contact@geocaching.com address to ask them specific questions.

Certainly not! Pick out an old soda can from the trash, or any other item. Add a label with something like this:

"Move this item to another cache and email me at XXXX@hotmail.com with the new cache location."

There you are, a free trackable.

Edited by wesleykey