let's talk value

RedShoesGirl

IMO

RSG, this all started from someone trying to get you to sell your tranquility's for a lower price. The above discussion will always have people on both sides. In your situation do not let someone try to bully you down in price because your tranquility's are activated. This is not a common situation because activated or not you have an extremely rare collection of coins that is going to have in increased value regardless of weather or not they are activated. Sell the coins for the value you feel they are worth. People will always look for reason to undercut a price, That is just economics. Good luck and I hope Walter gets better soon!

thanks for the note, but this really started in my mind WAY before i HAD to sell my coins, and not just my tranqs. that just sort of brought it all to the fore front.

ask some of my old time coiner buds, i have always thought the whole activation thing was bogus! but i love to hear other opinions. and those folks that tended to agree with me sort of went quiet.

thanks everyone for the mostly civil discussion.

lara

Just to add a thought not yet expressed that was in my mind as a relatively new coin collector when buying coins both unactivated and activated. (including a beautiful coin from you that I had seen previously and really wanted - and - frankly now I forget if it was activated or not!)

I saw activated coins as 'less value' because in missions I've seen (including in the only one I have been in) the request is for UN-activated coins. So, repeating thoughts expressed by someone in the thread ... that to me means there is one LESS thing I can DO with the coin. I haven't done trades yet, but if I find some not willing because of activation, then again, one less thing I can do with the coin. So, it is slightly less valuable.

That, said, I see your desire to change that perception and that would be a good thing for the collecting / trading world. If only a very few people consider a value difference then it won't impact trades and missions and life would be good.

I've adopted a few now and they have had very few logs - one or two really.

PS

Great buying from you and I loved the extra gift you sent along - what a nice surprise and worth way more to me than any decrease in value due to activation ;-).

In order to get the information that you want you would need to study ebay. Since you know the price that your tranqs and other activated coins sold for, you could look up or watch for the same coin in unactivated condition. Is there a price difference?

I don't think it's as simple as that, as some buyers of her coins would have been willing to spend more(than on the same coin from "Just some Ebayer", due to the circunstances.

IMHO - the coin loses value based on all the points previously brought up. I too love the Icons but most of my collection is unactivated...just in case a time comes to sell, I feel they would garner mo' money!!!

Side by Side same coin, same price, one activated one not activated, I would certainly take the unactivated.

Think about the MTNBIKE10 unactivated or one not activated(none that are know of outside the owners- I assume)...I guess either would be fine :antenna: but the one not activated I feel would fetch more $$$$ if ones primary concern was looking to sell....or trade...or whatever.

Personally, I would pay more for an unactivated coin.

In order to get the information that you want you would need to study ebay. Since you know the price that your tranqs and other activated coins sold for, you could look up or watch for the same coin in unactivated condition. Is there a price difference?

I don't think it's as simple as that, as some buyers of her coins would have been willing to spend more(than on the same coin from "Just some Ebayer", due to the circunstances.

yes, valerie just mentioned that on the phone. and let me tell you, those wonderful folks that are contributing to the fix walter the car fund will always hold a special place in my heart! that is why i include sig items with the sales. i am trying to give back. if that makes sense.

lara

I don't get why you're looking for a quantitative marker to increase or lower the value of a geocoin!! It's all about perception. An ugly coin is not going to sell except to those people who find it attractive. You can't convince me to buy a coin I don't want to spend good money on no matter how much quantitative values you can conjure up like a used car salesman.

Unactivated is more valuable than not.... to me. I've bought loads of activated coins but have not paid "mint condition" for them. Hell, I wish I could return some coins I did pay higher prices for that came from the homes of smokers as the smell has literally polluted my house for days!!

Value is based on perception. Perception is personal and therefore not quantitative.

I don't get why you're looking for a quantitative marker to increase or lower the value of a geocoin!! It's all about perception. An ugly coin is not going to sell except to those people who find it attractive. You can't convince me to buy a coin I don't want to spend good money on no matter how much quantitative values you can conjure up like a used car salesman.

Unactivated is more valuable than not.... to me. I've bought loads of activated coins but have not paid "mint condition" for them. Hell, I wish I could return some coins I did pay higher prices for that came from the homes of smokers as the smell has literally polluted my house for days!!

Value is based on perception. Perception is personal and therefore not quantitative.

you are always so articulate!

set the smokers' coins outside in the sun. if that doesn't work, throw away the flips.

rsg

I'm in agreement to some degree that a coins value should not be determined by whether it has been activated or not, however, I do understand that others will feel differently and that really determines the answer to your question of value, if the 'majority' of the coining community perceive a coins value to have diminished by virtue of it being activated then that is how it is, regardless of how you or I feel about it. It is true that an activated coin cannot be used in most missions, unlikely to be accepted in trade for an unactivated coin and may also have some history logged to the coins page - although I have seen some people state in their sales blurb on ebay that the winning bidder can delete such logs :antenna: !! Then there are also those that will make a paltry offer on the basis that the coins are activated, knowing full well that such an offer is well below a fair price - can't blame anyone for trying it on - just say no thanks. I hope the save Walter fund is growing apace and you will be taking him out caching again soon.

I'm in agreement to some degree that a coins value should not be determined by whether it has been activated or not, however, I do understand that others will feel differently and that really determines the answer to your question of value, if the 'majority' of the coining community perceive a coins value to have diminished by virtue of it being activated then that is how it is, regardless of how you or I feel about it. It is true that an activated coin cannot be used in most missions, unlikely to be accepted in trade for an unactivated coin and may also have some history logged to the coins page - although I have seen some people state in their sales blurb on ebay that the winning bidder can delete such logs :antenna: !! Then there are also those that will make a paltry offer on the basis that the coins are activated, knowing full well that such an offer is well below a fair price - can't blame anyone for trying it on - just say no thanks. I hope the save Walter fund is growing apace and you will be taking him out caching again soon.

the walter fund is growing nicely! i think i can get her in the shop this week and get a firmer estimate.

why can't activated coins be used in a mission? isn't that determined by the mission coordinator?

rsg

...Hell, I wish I could return some coins I did pay higher prices for that came from the homes of smokers as the smell has literally polluted my house for days!!

A geocoin that has come from a smokers home has retained and then released enough odour so as to be noticeable in your home ? I have always wondered about people on ebay who mention their coins come from a smoke and pet free home. I don't have much of a sense of smell though. Does anyone else notice this ?

Edited by haysonics

...Hell, I wish I could return some coins I did pay higher prices for that came from the homes of smokers as the smell has literally polluted my house for days!!

A geocoin that has come from a smokers home has retained and then released enough odour so as to be noticeable in your home ? I have always wondered about people on ebay who mention their coins come from a smoke and pet free home. I don't have much of a sense of smell though. Does anyone else notice this ?

you betcha! the smell is in the packing materials, in the flip, anything that can absorb odor absorbs the smoke and man oh man, it is quite awful.

rsg

...Virgin coin vs. Activated Coin. Only one person can be the first to activate. You don't have to like it but it's worth something. How much is the real question. I would pay extra.

Your opinion would help keep the "how much" premium smaller than it would be otherwise.

i just disagree with you here. the "first to activate" not worth anything in my book. and it seems in some others.

so really there is NO logic involved in any of this. one person's value is another's "whatever."...

The thing is I am using logic and you are actually agreeing with everthing I said.

Here is why.

I'll pay extra for an unactivated coin.

You won't.

When you combine the two that means "On average" The unactivated coin is worth more. More than you think and perhaps less that I'd be willing to pay.

The math doesn't lie. Still if you are going to counter the argument using logic it helps to understand why I've laid out this case. You don't, you are stuck at the "my opinion is this and your opinion is that" stage. We agree there. You just dont' see what it means when you take the sum of everones opinions and put them together. That's where we differ. That's where you leave logic behind.

If you want to ignore everthing I just said then consider this. The only way for unactivated and activated to be worth exactly the same is if we all could care less. That's not the case in this thread. Why is trackable more desirable than non trackable? It's the same thing. Some folks like them more and are willing to pay more for them.

Edited by Renegade Knight

Not on coins. I have on trading cards though. It took some time for the smell to dissapate.

I think everyone is missing the boat here. All that I have been reading is that activating a coin decreases its value. I disagree (not with the premise that the two coins have different value, but with the premise that a devaluation occured), and here is my argument. I assertain, that the current value of a coin is what it is worth activated. The fact that a coin is unactivated, in some cases warrants that a premium be added to the coins value at time of purchase. Therefore, an activated coin has not been devaluated, but rater an unactivated coin has been appreciated. Hence, a price difference, but not what would be considered a devaluation. I would venture to say, that very few coins are ever sold for less than what was expended to produce them (Which in all reality is the true actual value of any coin). Thus all coins carry a premium from time of manufacture. Just unactivated coins carry a larger premium it seems than activated coins. They are still however both worth more than they cost to be produced.

So long story short:

Activated coin value = cost to produce + activated premium

Unactivated coin value = cost to produce + unactivated premium

The argument then is really a question of why the activated premium is less than the unactivated premium. But in no case, has a coin been devaluated or lost value.

Cache in hand, I think you're just debating semantics now.

The real point is the difference in price, regardless of what you want to call it.

RK makes a good analogy when he compares it to trackable versus non-trackable.

Yes, it costs more to make a coin trackable - but should it matter during a trade?

The same argument exists for LE versus regular editions. It usually doesn't cost more to make an LE than it does to make a regular edition yet people assign different values to it.

The same will go for activated versus non-activated. Some assign value, others don't.

For me it depends on why I want the coin. If it's a coin that might make a nice gift for a mission, cointest, FTF, or event, then it needs to be unactivated. But if it's a coin just for ME, then having an activated coin actually increases the value, because the coin now has a story with it. In this case, the Save Walter story makes the coins just a little more special.

For me it depends on why I want the coin. If it's a coin that might make a nice gift for a mission, cointest, FTF, or event, then it needs to be unactivated. But if it's a coin just for ME, then having an activated coin actually increases the value, because the coin now has a story with it. In this case, the Save Walter story makes the coins just a little more special.

Exactly, it's between you and the seller/buyer! I can think of a few coins I would want regardless of if it's activated or not (moun10bike, LACKEY, volunteer etc).

unActivated is not to be cconfused with unhandled - we take them around and hand them around regardless

"mint" condition - errr we are talking mint in China here - the condition some of these coins leave the mint in! They have been handled a LOT - no gloves, you can see the fingerprints!, the packaging may be damaged, the coin may be damaged. may actually benefit from cleaning.

this has been a fun thread to read.

i know that unactivated are worth more, but some times not much more. i do pick the unactivated coin first because i can do more with it.

when it is for me then i don't mond getting an activated coin becuase it is usually cheaper and still looks just as good in my collection.