let's talk value

RedShoesGirl

i have asked this question several times before and have yet to receive an empirical answer.

where did this idea come from that an activated coin is worth less than a non-activated one?

same coin, not circulated.

i feel it is a myth, a false concept.

if that myth was destroyed, then all coins of one type would be equally valuable, even those that were activated because someone wanted the icon. i can understand if we are talking about a circulated coin versus a non-circulated one. just like in the real coin world.

this came up recently because of my "fix walter" sales. someone suggested that some of the coins were less valuable because they had been activated.

i have long said to that "baloney!" if i want a coin, i don't give a flying hill of ducks if it has been activated or not.

it is the same piece of metal, activated or not.

so, let's keep it friendly, but let's talk about this.

I don't believe the value of the coin has changed. I do believe the value of the coin in maintenance has changed though. Once activated, it becomes an item which now takes up space in my profile and if it's not traveling I have to jump through a few hoops to keep it from showing up in my active inventory. It's a small nuisance, but still a nuisance. Now if we could "unactivate" a coin... that would fix a LOT of complaints around here. As simple a process as it is to activate a coin, I fail to see why this hasn't been offered a long time ago. :blink:

This is a good question. The easy answer is that if I get an unactivated coin I have maximum flexability in terms of what I can do with it.

That being said, probably some of the most valuable coins, or at least most sought after coins are activated coins.

Ultimately what makes any one coin more valuable than another? It is how much other people want it. It is perception. There may be some relation between value and number of coins made, but it is far from linear. Some of the most valued / sought after coins even today have very high mintings. There are others that have very small mintings that you can hardly give away.

My thoughts . . .

Personally I see it the same way as a collector might categorize a mint versus non-mint item. To me, once it is activated it is no longer "mint" - it has some activity associated with it that the potential buyer may or may not care for. If you have 2 coins side by side and neither have been touched but one is activated, (in my mind) you can no longer call the activated one mint - i.e. as it was from the factory.

Regardless of the fact that it doesn't bother me in the least I would still think that activated coins, blemished coins, etc are not in mint condition. That of course does not suppose that someone won't pay the same price just that it's probably why some people feel they should not have to pay the same price.

Buying a coin already activated has no reflect on the shape that the coin is in but the relationship of activated verses unactivated is a kin to circulated verses mint coins (Uncerculated) the one thing for sure is that circulated or activated coins with alot of logs has had some handling of the coin. (Oils from the hands and all that) while you could have a grading system the real problem will be in the mind of the buyer. Having logs on a coin certainly proves to some degree it is used and handled perhaps not physically, but at least in the mind of the buyer. A case could be made for the opposite that while not activated it could have been well handled, but this does not translate so in the mind of the buyer. So you are dealling with something intangible in the mind of the individual with the tangible cash. Thus in a capitalist transaction the mind of the buyer/trader or cash is king. Some circulated coins a worth alot of money due to there rarity verses the same coin uncirculated, it is a value that is not necessaily quantitive but real when getting cash for an item.

I guess if you just take the quickest answers then I suppose it is very Logical....

so then logically, looking at these first few answers, there really isn't any value difference in an activated coin and an unactivated one!?

we can safely lay that myth to rest?

i love logic.

rsg

If we could look ahead fort years or more, activated coins that have been discovered and logged by various or famous cachers (Now departed) may be worth more in monatary transactions due to there historical value. This to would simply be percieved non quantative value added by the buyer. This is not too far fetched of an idea if caching ever leaves the fringes, and cetain aspects of history become known.

...i have long said to that "baloney!" if i want a coin, i don't give a flying hill of ducks if it has been activated or not.

it is the same piece of metal, activated or not....

...Virgin coin vs. Activated Coin. Only one person can be the first to activate. You don't have to like it but it's worth something. How much is the real question. I would pay extra.

Your opinion would help keep the "how much" premium smaller than it would be otherwise.

so then logically, looking at these first few answers, there really isn't any value difference in an activated coin and an unactivated one!?

we can safely lay that myth to rest?

i love logic.

rsg

Then you will love this.

As long as there are some number of people willing to pay more for an unactivated coin and some number of people who think paying more is utter hogwash (and thus would be willing to pay the same or less for an unactivated one) then there will always be something of a premium for unactivated coins. That's because there is a market force created by the two schools of thought that keep the prices separated.

It's possible that other forces are at work that dwarf that premium but over time you should be able to verify what that premium is.

I liken it to being new in box. If the coin hasn't been activated, it's new, in box. Once activated, you took it out of the box, the value would decrease (even if ever so slightly). Or, think in terms of the car on the lot...once it leaves the lot, it's depreciated!! Once that coin has an owner's name on it, it's no longer "in the box" no longer new on the lot!

Now, whether that makes the coin less valuable? That's between you and the one looking at it! If you feel differently, you are entitled to not make a deal and vice versa!!

I THINK VALUE IS IN THE EYE OF THE BEHOLDER,, OPPS CAPS} or seeker for that matter,, if you value a coin at say 30 bucks that same coin to me could be junk or worthless, as far as activation goes ive found that once activated a coin has less desire to be own by as many peps,, and have found some collectors prefer unactivated coins. so IMO it make the coins value drop to some as they will not trade/buy because of the activation, and to some the value hasent changed because they collect both.

so if you collect only unactivated coins,, activated coins have No value to you, as they are not prefered- there for you wont buy it. So i can agree with both sides of the arguement,, but the bottom line is its all personal prefrence, and value is speculation by the buyer/seller.

...i can agree with both sides of the arguement...

Fair point. The question has two answers.

Individually we have our own views. Clearly the OP could care less. Where I have a preference. Individually value is in the eye of the beholder.

Collectivly things change. We individuals collectivly make up the market. There the differences in attitude create a difference in price between the two. Perhaps not much of a difference. That would take work to figure out. But there is a price pressure based on our buying habits which are based on our individual preferences.

Hey, I'm one that likes my icons. I like them very much. I activate almost all of my coins.

With that being said, I don't think it is a myth. There are many people who don't activate their coins at all. They won't purchase a coin that is activated. So right there you've lost customers who would have bid on your coins and brought the price up.

Like Roddy said, they are like used cars. Once you activate them, you don't give a future owner the choice on what they want to do with it. Which makes it less valuable.

...If you have 2 coins side by side and neither have been touched but one is activated, (in my mind) you can no longer call the activated one mint - i.e. as it was from the factory. ...

but that is illogical! it is as it was from the factory, if that is your criteria. moving bits and bytes around in cyberspace does not make it not as it was from the factory!

rsg

In your mind...but obviously not in the mind of others. And I think it is very logical to think value changes - the log is part of a trackable coin (otherwise all coins would be non-trackable) and so when it gets activated it DOES change the coins status. We can debate forever but the fact remains... trackable coins are defined by the metal AND the activation ability. Either changing means it is no longer mint.

EDIT to add... and moving bits and bytes around in cyberspace does change the value of things....just like my dollar in hand is no longer a dollar since the bank rates change to tell me what that value is. in my mind it's still a dollar but not to the people I buy from.

...If you have 2 coins side by side and neither have been touched but one is activated, (in my mind) you can no longer call the activated one mint - i.e. as it was from the factory. ...

but that is illogical! it is as it was from the factory, if that is your criteria. moving bits and bytes around in cyberspace does not make it not as it was from the factory!

rsg

Edited by Theotokos

Ok. Maybe this can help. And it is what I have learned, but may not totally imply to these coins.

If you buy uncirculated coins from the Franklin mint, they are worth more. Basically these would be like unactivated geocoins.

But, a quarter is a quarter, and a dime is a dime when it has been circulated. These would be like activated geocoins.

That is the only way I can think of why some people think that an activated coin is worth less than an unactivated.

Me, I dont care one way or another when it comes to geocoins. Wether is has dicovery logs or even travel logs from the owner dropping them into caches and events. They are still worth the same to me.

rsg

It's not logical but it is true! There is percieved value in the mind of the buyer. If I have a choice buy activated or buy unactivated, I will purchase the unactivated. Something does not need to be logical to be true. things you longed for and just had to have, when you have them they lose value to you over time, having is not the same as wanting it is not logical but it is true.

OK, think of it like a virgin then...it's all nice and cherry, until it has been "used". Activating the coin is like "using" it, you have given it history!

And you say activating isn't changing the coin, "moving bits in cyberspace". Did the coin come new with an unactivated status? Or did you buy it already activated?

Let me put a spin on this...say I decided to sell ALL my Tribute to Todie coins activated. Would you be willing to buy them for at new prices even with them activated? (You being anyone willing to answer)

Some good points made here:

As long as it can be adopted over I think it's utterly silly to give the coin less of a value. If you don't like the past history of logs just delete them.

This is where I stand on the issue.

If we could look ahead forty years or more, activated coins that have been discovered and logged by various or famous cachers (Now departed) may be worth more in monatary transactions due to there historical value. This to would simply be percieved non quantative value added by the buyer. This is not too far fetched of an idea if caching ever leaves the fringes, and cetain aspects of history become known.

This is great forward-thinking. Imagine owning a coin that was logged by Jeremy, Moun10Bike, dhobby and others versus the same coin that was not activated. Great food for thought - thanks for posting that.

I liken it to being new in box. If the coin hasn't been activated, it's new, in box. Once activated, you took it out of the box, the value would decrease (even if ever so slightly). Or, think in terms of the car on the lot...once it leaves the lot, it's depreciated!! Once that coin has an owner's name on it, it's no longer "in the box" no longer new on the lot!

Now, whether that makes the coin less valuable? That's between you and the one looking at it! If you feel differently, you are entitled to not make a deal and vice versa!!

Agreed as well.

All good points that I would have posted as well.

I also liken this discussion to the whole LE/XLE/super extra special AE stuff.

But we've beaten that one to death over the years as well and I don't want to go off topic here.

Hey, I'm one that likes my icons. I like them very much. I activate almost all of my coins.

With that being said, I don't think it is a myth. There are many people who don't activate their coins at all. They won't purchase a coin that is activated. So right there you've lost customers who would have bid on your coins and brought the price up.

Like Roddy said, they are like used cars. Once you activate them, you don't give a future owner the choice on what they want to do with it. Which makes it less valuable.

but again, that is an illogical argument. coins are not like used cars.

hypothetical situtatio:

i bought a coin new from the factory. it has not been touched by anyone. it is mint when it gets to me. activating it does not mean touching or using it. it is still new. selling it to someone else, even without activation means it is a "used" item if we go by the used car analogy.

"mint" can only be applied to coins that come straight to the buyer straight from the mint. not through the hands of several owners who have not activated it.

just some thoughts.

OK, think of it like a virgin then...it's all nice and cherry, until it has been "used". Activating the coin is like "using" it, you have given it history!

do you really want to use that analogy? virgin means no - well you know - and there are many stages before getting to that final point. does that mean "not used?" and why is "like a virgin" supposedly worth more? that is an old-fashioned sexist view point.

And you say activating isn't changing the coin, "moving bits in cyberspace". Did the coin come new with an unactivated status? Or did you buy it already activated?

Let me put a spin on this...say I decided to sell ALL my Tribute to Todie coins activated. Would you be willing to buy them for at new prices even with them activated? (You being anyone willing to answer)

yes, as long as it could be adopted to me. activated has nothing to do with circulated. the analogy of the used car means circulated.

I think the analogy is valid - even though "illogical"! I always thought it was illogical that a brand new car depriciates the moment it is driven off the lot too.

Another of the things in life that make you go hmmmm..... :antenna:

Okay.... I'm curious and want to take a little poll....

If there are 2 identical coins for sale for $10. One coin is activated and the other is not. You have to pick one of these coins for you collection. Saying either isn't a choice...1 or the other. Which would you choose and why?

I agree that it's all in the mind of the buyer.

It's the same with ANY coin if you want to use logic to understand it.

Why is a Moun10Bike v1 worth over $1,000 (last known price IIRC)? It's the same metal, paint, etc. from "just another cacher".

Why would somebody pay more for an LE of a coin jsut because it was artifically made to be scarce and with a different finish?

If the buyer/collector wants to assign more value to some coins because of scarcity, sentimental value, color of paint used, tracking number or not, icon or no icon and/or acitvated or not they will.

No amount of back and forth trying to use logic will prevail IMO.

You may try to understand their POV, but don't count on changing it.

...i bought a coin new from the factory. it has not been touched by anyone. it is mint when it gets to me. activating it does not mean touching or using it. it is still new. selling it to someone else, even without activation means it is a "used" item if we go by the used car analogy....

Lets build on that.

The coin comes with two parts. Tracking, and the Coin itself. Most people view both as part of the same thing. "The Coin". Activate the coin er...tracking...and the ...tracking er coin...is now "used" even if the coin is in an airtight case untouched by human hands.

Taking this one step further. Were I to sell all my trackable coins activated but I'm not willing to adopt the tracking over to the next person becasue I'm keeping my tracking, would that be worth less to you than if I were willing to sell you the tracking and the coin both?

You can have the same coin but various levels of tracking that accompany it in a sale.

Human beings are NOT logical !

We gamble, even though we lose more often than we win

We buy stocks in a bull market, when we should be selling

We sell stocks in a bear market, when we should be buying

Some of us drive without wearing a seatbelt

etc

If human beings were logical, there would be no such thing as a STD

That said, I prefer an unactivated geocoin

I activate them, and I want the location and date to reflect when and where I got the coin

(and yes, I am aware that these data items can be changed by going through the activation process again, but that requires that the original owner have the activation code available)

I also want the logs to refelect only my tenure with the coin

So adopting a coin with logs on it would be out, since I would consider it very rude to delete a log made by someone else

It is not logical, but it is how I conduct my collecting

If an eBay auction says "activated", I am out of there - no matter what the price

I agree that it's all in the mind of the buyer.

It's the same with ANY coin if you want to use logic to understand it.

Why is a Moun10Bike v1 worth over $1,000 (last known price IIRC)? It's the same metal, paint, etc. from "just another cacher".

good question. why IS it worth that much. but it is only worth that much if someone is willing to pay it. is anyone really ready to pay that right now for that coin? seriously?

but isn't it always like that with collectable whatevers. they are only worth whatever one willing to pay for them.

beanie babies come to mind.

personally, i can live without a moun10bike in my fast dwindling collection. although it would be nice to have one so i could sell it to fix the car! oh wait, you can't really sell it even if you own it. and that alone would keep me from lusting after one.

No amount of back and forth trying to use logic will prevail IMO.

You may try to understand their POV, but don't count on changing it.

true how true. if someone gives up on buying a very rare coin they want because of the misguided notion of activation equals less value, then it is their loss.

rsg

...Virgin coin vs. Activated Coin. Only one person can be the first to activate. You don't have to like it but it's worth something. How much is the real question. I would pay extra.

Your opinion would help keep the "how much" premium smaller than it would be otherwise.

i just disagree with you here. the "first to activate" not worth anything in my book. and it seems in some others.

so really there is NO logic involved in any of this. one person's value is another's "whatever."

i suppose it comes down to not caring. if the activation means something to you (any you here) then don't buy activated coins but please don't tell others their coins are less valuable if they are activated.

make sense?

got my answers,

thanks for the cool discussion folks.

fsm, check your pm!

lara

To you the notion is misguided..to me it's not. So in essence you're saying that you're right and I'm wrong. I guess I don't see it that way..sorry. I still truly believe that given the choice of two identical coins with one activated and the other not....most people would chose the unactivated coin. Thus suggesting there is a difference - real or perceived the difference exists.

It wouldn't stop me from buying an activated coin if I wanted it...but there really is a difference no matter how much you have convinced yourself there isn't.

true how true. if someone gives up on buying a very rare coin they want because of the misguided notion of activation equals less value, then it is their loss.

rsg

I just read through the whole thread again, and am now moved to further verbiate

I have never understood the whole "first to find" thing

Just go find the geocache, or don't

So, I find that I have differing opinions on different issues

FTF - silly

Unactivated - the only way to go

Neither is logical, but both are strongly felt

Just further proof that I am merely human

- - - -

By the way, I really like the phrase "flying hill of ducks"

Ah well, I see this wasn't about a discussion anyway...more like a study on smoking that says it isn't dangerous...only it happens to be funded by the cigarette companies.

i just disagree with you here. the "first to activate" not worth anything in my book. and it seems in some others.

so really there is NO logic involved in any of this. one person's value is another's "whatever."

i suppose it comes down to not caring. if the activation means something to you (any you here) then don't buy activated coins but please don't tell others their coins are less valuable if they are activated.

make sense?

got my answers,

thanks for the cool discussion folks.

fsm, check your pm!

lara

To you the notion is misguided..to me it's not. So in essence you're saying that you're right and I'm wrong. I guess I don't see it that way..sorry. I still truly believe that given the choice of two identical coins with one activated and the other not....most people would chose the unactivated coin. Thus suggesting there is a difference - real or perceived the difference exists.

It wouldn't stop me from buying an activated coin if I wanted it...but there really is a difference no matter how much you have convinced yourself there isn't.

rsg

No sense arguing with her. I can just imagine what her coins would have brought had the been unactivated.

Reading this thread made me think of Star Trek! LOL

rsg

the only reason there is a difference in your hypothetical situation is because people have the notion there is a difference. see, if people didn't place a false value on non-activation then it wouldn't make a difference. two coins, two availabile. and the only reason we care about it here, is because we can't talk about selling a non-trackable coin! nobody cares with those. a coin is a coin is a coin. it is valued because it is what it is. not because of an engraved number.

and speaking of right or wrong, by saying that i have "convinced" myself implies you think you are right and i am wrong.

no convincing of myself was necessary - two identical coins, same value, no matter what cyber bits of info were passed around.

as long as people want to believe there is a difference, there will be.

as more folks begin to see that it is not a "real" value but rather a perceived and manipulated one, then coins will be valued for themselves - aesthetically, rarity whatever.

as long as you believe your coins have more value because they are not activated, then in your world they have more value!

the emperor really has no clothes.

rsg

rsg

No sense arguing with her. I can just imagine what her coins would have brought had the been unactivated.

Reading this thread made me think of Star Trek! LOL

hey, be nice! there is always sense in arguing, even if it is just the fun of discussing differing points of view.

some activated coins have sold WAY higher than i thought they would and other non-activated ones have not.

this is why i think the value is false. there is no empirical data that proves it one way or the other.

lara

Next time just email me what my response should be as it will save me some time...

When I said you have 'convinced' yourself..what I meant was that you already had your mind made up before you asked and so long as you got a couple of similar responses that was all you needed - ignore the rest.

It doesn't matter if you agree with it or not...I'm just pointing out a fact that there will always be the perception that there is a difference between unactivate and activated no matter how hard you try to ignore it. Will it change? Don't know and at this point...don't care. It's all about you selling your coins I guess and since I ain't buying..well, doesn't make much sense to continue..

rsg

the only reason there is a difference in your hypothetical situation is because people have the notion there is a difference. see, if people didn't place a false value on non-activation then it wouldn't make a difference. two coins, two availabile. and the only reason we care about it here, is because we can't talk about selling a non-trackable coin! nobody cares with those. a coin is a coin is a coin. it is valued because it is what it is. not because of an engraved number.

and speaking of right or wrong, by saying that i have "convinced" myself implies you think you are right and i am wrong.

no convincing of myself was necessary - two identical coins, same value, no matter what cyber bits of info were passed around.

as long as people want to believe there is a difference, there will be.

as more folks begin to see that it is not a "real" value but rather a perceived and manipulated one, then coins will be valued for themselves - aesthetically, rarity whatever.

as long as you believe your coins have more value because they are not activated, then in your world they have more value!

the emperor really has no clothes.

rsg

When you buy an activated coin, you run the risk that it has been stolen from a cache. An unactivated coin does not carry that risk.

On the other hand, with an unactivated coin, there is always the risk that the activation code can not be retrieved over time given any number of circumstances why.

But for me, the kicker is this. Once a coin is activated, it can never be unactivated (And that should always remain the case or collectors would be unfairly getting shafted who have saved their coins unactivated). Therefore, the number of unactivated coins that are retired from production, can never increase, whereas, the number of activated coins can. Hence, unactivated means more highly collectible by virtue of decreasing population. I pay more for unactivated coins. That is a fact. Just as I would not pay the same for a set of silverware at a garage sale as I would from a store new in the box. Why can stores not sell returned mechandise for the same price as when it was new, even if it is unused? The principals are the same.

Next time just email me what my response should be as it will save me some time...

When I said you have 'convinced' yourself..what I meant was that you already had your mind made up before you asked and so long as you got a couple of similar responses that was all you needed - ignore the rest.

It doesn't matter if you agree with it or not...I'm just pointing out a fact that there will always be the perception that there is a difference between unactivate and activated no matter how hard you try to ignore it. Will it change? Don't know and at this point...don't care. It's all about you selling your coins I guess and since I ain't buying..well, doesn't make much sense to continue..

seems we are both stuck on our opinions. that's ok. both are valid within our individual paradigms. all is good!

trying not to ignore those that do not agree with me. but i am trying to change perceptions. if one person looks at it all differently then that is great! i did have my mind made up, just looking to open up others.

i appreciate your input, truly!

i did have these thoughts before i starting selling my collection, just had it hit clo$er to home now that i am trying to regain $$ to fix car.

rsg

Edited by RedShoesGirl

So a coin that cost $10 a year ago is now being sold for $100+ (or what ever they are going for). So what has changed in that coins value? Nothing but the perception of value. Is that any different than the unactivated coin perception? If we can increase value due to "collectibility" why can't we decrease value due to "activation"? Both are perceptions are they not?

seems we are both stuck on our opinions. that's ok. both are valid within our individual paradigms. all is good!

trying not to ignore those that do not agree with me. but i am trying to change perceptions. if one person looks at it all differently then that is great! i did have my mind made up, just looking to open up others.

i appreciate your input, truly!

i did have these thoughts before i starting selling my collection, just had it hit clo$er to home now that i am trying to regain $$ to fix car.

rsg

So a coin that cost $10 a year ago is now being sold for $100+ (or what ever they are going for). So what has changed in that coins value? Nothing but the perception of value. Is that any different than the unactivated coin perception? If we can increase value due to "collectibility" why can't we decrease value due to "activation"? Both are perceptions are they not?

good point. i was looking for specific quantitative data that supported the notion that non-activated coins were more valuable than others.

nothing has been said that supports that particular opinion. other than people's feelings, which are not quantitative.

and i think that perception hurts the actual salability of a coin.

collect-ability is another whole can of fish.

as joni so nicely pointed out, wow, what would those coins i am selling be worth if they had not been activated!

same coins, same condition, bits of cyber info added equals less value.

so how do we put such a high value on moun10bike coins that are not only activated but we can't really ever even own them completely!

dang. wish i had never activated my collection thinking i was going to keep them forever.

as for what makes one coin more collectible than another, honey, that is another whole topic! one that has been raised here just recently.

lara

Edited by RedShoesGirl

hypothetical situtatio:

i bought a coin new from the factory. it has not been touched by anyone. it is mint when it gets to me. activating it does not mean touching or using it. it is still new. selling it to someone else, even without activation means it is a "used" item if we go by the used car analogy.

"mint" can only be applied to coins that come straight to the buyer straight from the mint. not through the hands of several owners who have not activated it.

just some thoughts.

You don't have to drive the car away in order for the depreciation, just sign the title! Same with a coin, o need to take it out, it's used as soon as the ownership is established! Once that coin is activated, you cannot unactivate it!

Whether this is a bad thing or not, is between the buyer and the seller!

hypothetical situtatio:

just some thoughts.

You don't have to drive the car away in order for the depreciation, just sign the title! Same with a coin, o need to take it out, it's used as soon as the ownership is established! Once that coin is activated, you cannot unactivate it!

Whether this is a bad thing or not, is between the buyer and the seller!

And along the lanes with some of the other points made, perhaps an Activated coin could have a GREATER value if it was once owned by a certain person. If the President was selling an Activated Coin that he once owned, it might be MORE valuable than an Unactivated one.

IMO

RSG, this all started from someone trying to get you to sell your tranquility's for a lower price. The above discussion will always have people on both sides. In your situation do not let someone try to bully you down in price because your tranquility's are activated. This is not a common situation because activated or not you have an extremely rare collection of coins that is going to have in increased value regardless of weather or not they are activated. Sell the coins for the value you feel they are worth. People will always look for reason to undercut a price, That is just economics. Good luck and I hope Walter gets better soon!