What flashlight do you take caching?

I'd like to hear what flashlight people use to cache with. I'm looking for one that will light up the dark corners of tree stumps on sunny days and will fit in a fanny pack. I have several LED versions that work on button batteries and am ready to SWAG them since they aren't powerful enough. Any thoughts?

One of these when you are looking at something close it is almost too bright and I can write my logs at the same time as holsing it, best thing though is that it is supper light and the batteries last ages, cost me £29.99 at the time plus 10% discount.

I also carry a small (3* AAA)Luxon bulb torch that is quite bright as a back up, for short trips in the dark or in an urban enviroment and the batteries in that also seem to last for ever, not bad for £10.

I bought myself one of those flash lights that don't use batteries. You shake them to build a charge thinking I would save a ton of money on batteries. It turns out you are almost constantly having to shake it and it doesn't give off that much light. I think I'm going to buy myself one of those LED flash lights. They are so much brighter :antenna:

GenIVshakelight-200x200.jpg

Edited by Walkworthy

One of these when you are looking at something close it is almost too bright and I can write my logs at the same time as holsing it, best thing though is that it is supper light and the batteries last ages, cost me £29.99 at the time plus 10% discount.

I also carry a small (3* AAA)Luxon bulb torch that is quite bright as a back up, for short trips in the dark or in an urban enviroment and the batteries in that also seem to last for ever, not bad for £10.

'head torch'. gotta love it.

I'd like to hear what flashlight people use to cache with. I'm looking for one that will light up the dark corners of tree stumps on sunny days and will fit in a fanny pack. I have several LED versions that work on button batteries and am ready to SWAG them since they aren't powerful enough. Any thoughts?

More like Flashlight(S)... :antenna:

One of the main ones I carry: Pelican

pelican01.jpg

I have a 3 watt Mini Mag, a 3 watt 2 C cell Mag Light, a 3 watt 2 D cell Brinkman, but none of them impress me as much as the 3 watt Brinkman I picked up at Menard's. I'ts about 5 1/4" long and 1 1/4 diameter at the largest point and runs on 3 AAAs. This light throws a better beam then any of the others I have. Sells for a little under $25.00

A Surefire G2® Nitrolon®, and a Gerber (like the photo jho135 posted)...the Gerber gets more use because the battery is a lot cheaper :antenna:

Bill

I love my Surefires! I use the G2 LED. You can get the batteries online for less than a buck, and they last a long time under normal geocaching usage.

For night caches (as opposed to night caching), you honestly don't need a super-bright light. I have a number of headlamps and have found those that have a reasonably tight beam and put out about 30-60 lumens to be best. My favorite is my Petzl Tactikka XP. With Fire Tacks and other reflectors, you see them much earlier and more clearly when the beam of light originates near your eyes (as it does with a headlamp).

It is also nice to have a powerful flashlight with you, though, and I bring along a Dorcy 180 lumen flashlight (waterproof down to 100m, great in case of rain, or dropping in creeks, etc.) and a Fenix TK11 R2 (awesome light, 240 lumens, very tight beam). Both are small lights, fit in the palm of your hand types. Especially the Fenix ... the light that little sucker puts out ... amazing!

StumpWater

EDIT to fix spelling error.

Edited by StumpWater

Excellent thread. We picked up a pretty cheap LED flashlight to start, because I didn't want to spend $30+ on one that I wasn't sure about. We are realizing the cheap flashlight is cool for power outages at home, but that's about it...lol

I think I'll look into a few of these suggestions here. We definitely could've used a good flashlight last weekend.

I'd like to hear what flashlight people use to cache with. I'm looking for one that will light up the dark corners of tree stumps on sunny days and will fit in a fanny pack.

Fenix P3D Q5 Premium. <7/8" in diameter by 4.5" long. Fits in my kit really well. I sometimes put in my back pocket next to my wallet.

Pricey, but worth it, IMHO. I bought rechargeable Li-ion batteries to go along with it. Flashlight, 4 batteries, and charger set me back about $100. It's pretty rugged as I've dropped it several times during the course of work. It now has a bit of "character" but still works like new.

Happy to see Fenix getting a lot of love on here!

There's a new Fenix coming out Monday ... TK40 ... 630 lumens!

Vote early and vote often! I guess you do like Fenix. I was looking at the TK11 or the Olight M20 Warrior for a really high output light. How is the quality and sturdiness of the TK11? Ever seen the other brand?

630 lumens may melt the cache or set fire to the log!!!

Vote early and vote often! I guess you do like Fenix. I was looking at the TK11 or the Olight M20 Warrior for a really high output light. How is the quality and sturdiness of the TK11? Ever seen the other brand?

630 lumens may melt the cache or set fire to the log!!!

Hmmm, guess that's one of them thar duplicate posts ... well, double-duplicate! ... but, the TK11 R@ is worth a few praise-posts!

I do not know the Olight M20 Warrior, or even the brand Olight. I'm actually not a big flashlight freak ... "flashaholic" I believe they're called. I've started going out hiking or caching at night or pre-dawn more now and so have gotten into it a bit. Check out candlepowerforums.com for the real flashaholics. You could probably find or get a review of the Olight over there.

630 lumens is a lot of light, you're right. Burn time is 2 hours ... looking forward to it!

I use the TK11 as my primary night caching light. It is small, extremely bright and rugged. I've dropped it without any damage. It is big enough to feel comfortable and small enough that you can stuff it in a pocket without noticing it. I use CR123A batteries that I buy in bulk, but it takes rechargeable 1860 batteries too. At 225 lumens, it is bright enough to use on the trail for navagation as well as general caching. I don't see a need for anything brighter.

I carry a Black Diamond spot headlamp and a 2-D LED Maglite. It's a little heavy but it can be a life saver. It's a weapon and can light up a place like a stadium! Due to it's brightness it could be seen from quite some distance if I ever get myself into a real pickle in the woods after dark. It helps knock off a few extra calories which never hurts either.

Wow, those are some pricey lights. I am sure they are great but Wow!

The main difference between it and the cheaper lights I've found are:

1. Regulated output - light level remains constant as batteries drain

2. Build quality (including reflector design)

3. Light output - white, not bluish

If you're looking for a high output LED, they're all in this price range. The Maglite is cheaper, but not as powerful. Surefire is a lot more expensive. I've never seen one in real life so I can't compare it with the Fenix. The other brand I looked at before buying mine is Photon Light, but there's only one light that seems interesting to me, the Proton Pro, and it takes only 1 AA battery.

I'm a little disappointed with my Fenix, actually. The tail cap would not come off initially without using tools, and even though I used a piece of cloth to protect it, the anodized surface got scratched by my pliers. Probably just an anomaly - I should have sent it back for replacement, but the store was out of stock on that particular light.

If you're looking for a very cheap LED with decent output and uses only 1 AA battery, try this one. I bought 3 lights from them, one had a faulty switch and had to be replaced. They're more than bright enough for lighting your path when walking at night. Only 1 light level. And with this light, I highly recommend getting 2, for backup.

The light appears a lot more bluish compared to the Fenix. And all 3 lights have slightly different colored light. At less than 10% of the price of a Fenix, you can't really complain about value for money though.

I usually have about 2 or 3 LED flashlights in my geo-bag, but the one that gets the most use

is the Surefire model L4 LumaMax. This one really works great at night - it's like a mini-

searchlight. It's light output is either 100 or 120 lumens. It takes the 123A Lithium batteries, but

I can buy these from online from the manufacturer for less than a dollar each. The batteries

last between one and a half to two hours of continuous use. The Surefire's are expensive, but they'll last a lifetime.

As a cheaper alternative, I've gone to Wal-Mart, K-Mart or Sears and purchased one of

their LED flashlights that are about 80 lumens. The cost of these flashlights ranged from about

$20-$40 and have worked great.

Repeating myself and contradicting my love of bright lights ... but whattheheck!:

Really bright lights are actually bad, IMHO, for doing night caches that use Fire Tacks or other small reflectors. It is amazing to see from how far away the reflectors can be seen with only a low amount of light ... night caches have a better, more mysterious feel when you only have a small amount of artificial light ... bright lights really destroy your night vision (pupils constrict like mad when a 200 lumen light comes on) ... etc.

Go when there's a new moon! Go when it's cloudy! Turn off your light(s) for awhile and listen to the forest!

Really bright lights are actually bad, IMHO, for doing night caches that use Fire Tacks or other small reflectors. It is amazing to see from how far away the reflectors can be seen with only a low amount of light ... night caches have a better, more mysterious feel when you only have a small amount of artificial light ... bright lights really destroy your night vision (pupils constrict like mad when a 200 lumen light comes on) ... etc.

This is why I like my Fenix. The different levels of output allow me to use one light in various situations. During the day when it has to compete with sunlight for me to see in dark places it has the power. When I've got my head stuck in a dark place and 200+ lumens only blinds me a couple of clicks tones it down. It's powerful enough to actually take pictures in the dark without a flash or at least to get the autofocus to work. (Getting into stuff that I do at work.) The various levels allow for flexibility and it's small enough so I will have it with me when I need it. Lights like this really allow me to carry only one light.

(Not saying I don't carry a headlamp or a larger light when the need arises, but I don't always have those on me, either.)

I haven't done much Geocaching after dark, but I always carry at least two lights on my at all times, a NiteCore EX10 and a Fenix E01. The NiteCore EX10, is pretty much all the light I need. It can be ramped anywhere between 5 lumens and 130 lumens so I can use it for everything from reading logs, to peeking into dark places, to trail walking. The E01 will give me 21 hours of useable light as a backup.

I'm planning on doing some Geocaching this evening with a buddy in a local county park. Since we may be out after dark AND since I'm a seriously deranged flashaholic, I will be bringing:

SureFire C2-HA with Malkoff M60 LED.

Malkoff MD2 Flashlight with Malkoff M60 LED (for my buddy to carry).

EagleTac T10C2

NiteCore EX10

Fenix E01

3-4 keychain LED lights for swag.

I could definitely used a good headlamp, but as yet I don't have one.

Don

I have two Malkoff M60 modules. If you have a SureFire that uses a P60 lamp assembly, I don't think you can find a better dropin than the Malkoff. My dad has two of the Malkoff dropin's for Mag. They are also very nice and easy to install. I've modded a couple of 3D Mags with Seoul P4 LEDs. It was cheaper and more fun, but the Malkoff is much easier - and probably more reliable.

I put up a couple of shots from last night's geocaching. I can't remember which light I was using for these shots. Either the EagleTac T10C2 or the SureFire w/Malkoff.

Don