Logic behind "Premium members only" caches

I had a PMO cache for a while. It was in a small park and was ALWAYS busy with people heading out in their boats. I didn't want a number of people showing up when it was first published, and I was looking to have the traffic to it in general not be too busy. It was also close to a bridge but not under it, so a lot of traffic wouldn't look too good. A couple people did get caught in the bushes by a police officer. :rolleyes:

There's a nice park a town over that pretty recently had a few caches disappear out of it. If I remember correctly, there was a cacher who came across the people at the time and wondered about a bag they were carrying. Apparently, a few caches. :anicute:

The fact that MOC caches are only one of dozens of benefits of a premium membership, will go unnoticed, as will the fact that well under 5% of the over 2,000,000 world-wide accounts of Geocaching.com are premium.

Is this true or just some number pulled out of the air? If that's the case then I might just make all my caches PMO so that there is a reward for those few who support the website/business of GC.com.

I choose to be a PM even though I am casual cacher (80 finds) in several years, I don't have time to hide and service caches of my own to support this great sport so kicking in a couple af bucks is my way of showing my appreciation for those that do. I am fortunate that there are hundreds of caches in my area and very few are premium. Just the "send to GPS" feature makes it worth it to me. Enjoy yourself lifes too short to sweat the small stuff! Just saying. Cladius.

For me, they give an extra layer of protection against thieves.

I really don't see how it protects the cache against thieves. Any person who spends their time plundering caches in my opinion needs to rethink their life. "What do you do for fun?" "I raid boxes that have trinkets in them, which I can sell for almost no value, whatsoever!" I highly doubt that this will happen to your cache -- you have to weigh out pros and cons. Limited visitors vs extreme protection. In my opinion, it is unnecessary over-protection. Once again, this is my opinion -- everyone else is free to have their own.

The fact that MOC caches are only one of dozens of benefits of a premium membership, will go unnoticed, as will the fact that well under 5% of the over 2,000,000 world-wide accounts of Geocaching.com are premium.

Is this true or just some number pulled out of the air? If that's the case then I might just make all my caches PMO so that there is a reward for those few who support the website/business of GC.com.

I'd be interested in where that number came from, as well.

I've never done an MOC and likely never will. I've seen arguments pro and con, but it's all assumptions, something along the lines of: People who spend $$ for membership are a better class of cacher.

Yeah.

The dirtbags driving Lexuses, Mercedes, Escalades and such which drive like they own the road are a better class of driver because they spent more on their car so they are entitled to drive as they deem fit.

That's not to say everyone driving a spendy vehicle is a a dirtbag, that would be an example of how gross a stereotype can be and is just as invalid as Premium Cachers are better than Nonpremium cachers. Until there's an actual study done I'll continue to believe there's scant difference between them. I've met a lot of fine cachers who will probably never go the Premium route and will probably stop before 200 finds.

There are known examples of cachers who are premium and still indulge in skulldudgery. What drives people I doubt The Shadow even knew.

The one thing I do know is when I'm out caching with friends who are not Premium they wonder what cache I'm after and realize they can't log it when it is found. A bit of a bummer for them.

If I were to place a MOC it would be to keep the riff-raff out of it, plain and simple. Especially if it were in a high-traffic area or a spot where a lot of newbies go.

I hope that is sarcasm.

Likely not at all. As many of us have said repeatedly, both in this thread and in numerous others devoted to the same topic, one of about ten good reasons to make a cache PMO is that is PROVEN to drastically reduce the amount of damage by pirates, maggots, thieves, swine riff-raff who leave junk swag, careless cachers and the walking dead (that is, walking idiots who accidentally destroy everything in their path...) This point cannot even be argued, for it is indisputable and proven fact.

We had a cache thief in the area, one more annoying than the usual cache thief, and he was a premium member. We never figured out who he was, but many of the caches he hit were members only.

I've never done an MOC and likely never will. I've seen arguments pro and con, but it's all assumptions, something along the lines of: People who spend $$ for membership are a better class of cacher.

Yeah.

The dirtbags driving Lexuses, Mercedes, Escalades and such which drive like they own the road are a better class of driver because they spent more on their car so they are entitled to drive as they deem fit.

That's not to say everyone driving a spendy vehicle is a a dirtbag, that would be an example of how gross a stereotype can be and is just as invalid as Premium Cachers are better than Nonpremium cachers. Until there's an actual study done I'll continue to believe there's scant difference between them. I've met a lot of fine cachers who will probably never go the Premium route and will probably stop before 200 finds.

There are known examples of cachers who are premium and still indulge in skulldudgery. What drives people I doubt The Shadow even knew.

The one thing I do know is when I'm out caching with friends who are not Premium they wonder what cache I'm after and realize they can't log it when it is found. A bit of a bummer for them.

But they can log it. There is a so called "back door" for non premium members to log PM caches.

Me too! ;)

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, dam ned lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli... which is this?

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

Me too! ;)

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, XXXXXX lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli... which is this?

You hate 'dadgum' so much that you had to trick the forum software to accept your blocked word?

Edited by sbell111

Me too! ;)

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, XXXXXX lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli... which is this?

You hate 'dadgum' so much that you had to trick the forum software to accept your blocked word?

No, I hate it when modern political correctness is abused such that a great quote from a leading thinker can't be used appropriately. He didn't say "dadgum" or "XXXXXX".

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

Me too! ;)

No, I hate it when modern political correctness is abused such that a great quote from a leading thinker can't be used appropriately. He didn't say "dadgum" or "XXXXXX".

If he said "F'in", would you have forced the word into the forums?

It's strange that you were the one trying to irradicate 'whore', but you choose not to respect TPTB's decision to block other words.

Me too! ;)

If he said "F'in", would you have forced the word into the forums?

It's strange that you were the one trying to irradicate 'whore', but you choose not to respect TPTB's decision to block other words.

You figure leaving a couple of letters out is better than inserting a space? I don't see the logic in that one.

Me too! ;)

Perfect, thank you 'Bama. :)

Report it if it offends you, but let's don't pursue our personal differences in this forum.
The irony is palpable.

BTW, what personal differences are you referring to? I don't know you. The only differences that we have are found within the forum.

Nothing strange about that – unless there is a great quote from a leading thinker somewhere that includes the word 'whore.'

I don’t recall TAR "trying to irradicate" the use of the word 'whore;' he only objected to the way it gets overused in an all-too-common phrase related to certain Geocachers.

And neither did I see him object 100% to political correctness just now either – just the fact that it prevents important quotes from being accurately presented in these forums.

Which means your objection amounts to a ... strawman. ;)

The reason I "sometimes" make my caches members only is to lessen the chance of theft by a cache thief. Especially if they are easy to access. And yes cache thieves that visit the here and then get their jollies by steeling caches do exist, I wold like to think though someone who pays to play would be more likely to be a real cacher rather than a lowlife thief.

Edited by runner_one

...This is also the reason there is an audit log, where you can see who viewed your cache page and how many times, so as you can unjustly accuse them of stealing the cache, or geocoins. :D

Ok, what is the audit log? And where do I find it?

What is the audit log? As TWU says: You can see who viewed your cache page, and how many times they viewed it.

Where do you find it? A cache designated as Premium Members Only cache will have a link which allows the owner to vew the audit log. You must be logged in as the owner to see the log.

What is the audit log? As TWU says: You can see who viewed your cache page, and how many times they viewed it.

Where do you find it? A cache designated as Premium Members Only cache will have a link which allows the owner to vew the audit log. You must be logged in as the owner to see the log.

Example:

Evil%20Other%20audit%20example.jpg:D

Edited by Arse&Hemi

For me, they give an extra layer of protection against thieves.

I really don't see how it protects the cache against thieves. Any person who spends their time plundering caches in my opinion needs to rethink their life. "What do you do for fun?" "I raid boxes that have trinkets in them, which I can sell for almost no value, whatsoever!" I highly doubt that this will happen to your cache -- you have to weigh out pros and cons. Limited visitors vs extreme protection. In my opinion, it is unnecessary over-protection. Once again, this is my opinion -- everyone else is free to have their own.

The ulterior motive in PMO caches is to annoy anarchists to the point that they will 'out' themselves. ;)

I wouldnt normally make a cache a PMO, unless there is a recurring problem with it. I usually make mine PMO just before I archive, and oddly enough the audit log still gets plenty of hits.

I have no idea why someone would view an archived cache 30 or more times, or why someone named "PQ Pack Rat" with no finds and who previously posted on their profile that they were from Canada, would view it, but it's mildly entertaining. Now I know that there are people that waste more time than I do. :D

Example:

Evil%20Other%20audit%20example.jpg

:D

Does this only work for PMO caches?